Headphone Situation

dougtv

Dec 23, 2008
Do I really have to use the headphones that were included for this radio. I dont really like the sound of the altec lansing headphones. But whenever i connect mine I get completely no signal....even in my own backyard.

When I use the altec headphones I get about 2 bars outside and 1/off inside.

I understand that the car/home kits are really worth having then to avoid these signal issues. But I would like to use my normal headphones when I'm outside walking/etc.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm assuming you are using the Stiletto 2 and yeah you can use the antenna headphones plugged in and keep them around your neck or something and listen with standard headphones at the same time.
Lot's of people do this.
Some are even crafty and work the antenna headphones into a bag. Something I've been thinking about doing myself.

dougtv

Dec 23, 2008
Wtf thats pretty "ghetto" haha
Is the portable version for XM this bad?
I had a question about the wifi quality but i'll make another post since its a different issue.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
They should make an antenna that can clip onto an armband.

The headphones work ok, but they are just too painful. After one 45-minute run, I decided to record music for my runs just so that I can use my gel earbuds.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Real easy to make with any headphones

Stiletto_SonyHeadphones.jpg

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
or make a arm band out of this or add it to a hat with velcro

you can take apart the pain headphones that came with the Stiletto 10/100 with just a pair of side cutters and a small philips screw driver. peel off the foam pad under the antenna, remove screws, cut the wires to the headphones, cut headphone band to size and put back together. Can be done in five mins. Be careful not to cut the antenna, thick wire.

IMG_4724.jpg

Last edited:

Joopster

Jan 31, 2009
I am going to figure out something with this that works for me. I hate the headphones as everyone does.

leth

Jan 4, 2009
Southern Ontario
I hate the headphones, but have been wearing them outside because they keep my ears warm. At first they would hurt my head (just above the ears) and I couldn't stand them, but after some regular use they seem to loosen up. It also helps when you extend/adjust the sides. Yesterdy I wore them for half an hour and they didn't cause any discomfort. I think they just need to be broken in.

However, they are still ugly.

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
just got Stiletto 2...started looking into the headphone antenna thing and came across this...

I work in NYC, and the radio works fine without the antenna headphone 99% of the time...enough for my walk to and from work between Penn station and Times Square...problem is on the train...reception is spotty without the antenna headphones...haven't tried it yet with the headphones...will tonight on my way home from work...

i like the idea of cutting down the headphones and keeping it in my bag, or even just keeping the whole headphone in the bag if I'm only using it on the train (that is of course if they pull reception on my way home, don't know if the metal on the train will interfere with the antenna yet, but there are some dead spots using the internal antenna)

how does this work with satellite and terrestrial signal? is the terrestrial signal from repeaters? and without the headphone antenna, is the S2 only drawing from Terrestrial? that would explain the dead zone through central Jersey...

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
i'm giving that a try today on my way home...probably end up chopping the phones up if this way works...or I can always listen to Howard recorded like I did with my S50...

monty

Oct 15, 2008
Bumpass, VA
Make sure you sit on the side that the window is facing the center of the US. On the east coast, if you are going south sit on the right side, going north sit on the left

JoeProcopio

Feb 17, 2009
well...the headset worked fine yesterday...but I still listened to my recorded Stern Show on the way in...but being able to listen live on the walk to work from the train station is awesome...and not needing the antenna is even more awesome...si it looks like i'm looking at chopping the headset down...

thanks for the advice!