HD Power Increase Approved By FCC

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by kc1ih, Jan 29, 2010.

1. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

I saw an item on the "Inside Radio" website that the FCC had approved an increase in the power of the subchannels used to broadcast HD radio. Unfortunately the way that site is constructed does not allow for copying a direct URL to the article. I would guess that it will be a while before we see any stations actually increasing their HD power, since this will require new equipment I believe.
  2. ai4i

ai4i New Member

The ruling is for digital FM stations only. AM's are unaffected
    Most FM stations can increase their HD sideband power from their current 1% of analogue power level to somewhere between 6% and 10% of their analogue power level contingent on the nearest first adjacent channel stations. Grandfathered "superpowered" stations with signals in excess of current standards for their class of license can run the greater of 1% of their actual signal or 10% of what a station would have under the current rules governing their class of license. Many of these stations are along the California coast.
  3. tbone

tbone New Member

That should help the 0 stations we have here broadcasting HD. We are so backwards here that wifi hot spots still amaze the locals.
  4. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

We have lots of HD radio here in the NY area. Too bad the signal does not get out that well. Also, much of the time the programming on the HD2 and HD3 streams is off the air, for whatever reason.
    I've never seen a more colossal flop (except for maybe AM stereo, which BTW was sort of cool).
  5. ai4i

ai4i New Member

Maybe quad on FM?
  6. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 OOH-RAH

HD channels are commercial free right???? :jj:
  7. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Now the commercials can be delivered to you with more power.
  8. tbone

tbone New Member

Well I am shocked and chagrined I just read in our paper that our College/NPR station is going digital with 3 streams. I might have to buy a cheap digital radio now to hear what it is like.
  9. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Chances are that you'll be able to hear them online...saving you a few bucks on a HD radio.
  10. JoeTan

JoeTan New Member

This is like if Atari released wireless controllers for their 2600...actually this would be WAY COOLER than HD radio.
  11. tbone

tbone New Member

12. kc1ih

kc1ih Member

And according to an article on the same website today the increase will take effect May 10 for those stations that are ready to do so.