Have You Ever Been On The Radio? Phone or Otherwise?

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
In honor of Gary Williams reading my Facebook posting on the Mad Dog Radio page, at approximately 8:45 AM, I ask the question, have you ever been on the radio? This includes being in-studio, phone, email and other.

I've been on the radio 3 times that I know of.

1. A FM station in Charlotte where I sent an email making fun of one of the hosts. The other hosts loved it...

2. ESPN Radio, the Sunday night show. I sent an email expressing my dislike of the Patriots.

3. Mad Dog Radio, the Gary & Gresh show. I posted on their Facebook page that I believed Tim Donaghy because of his body language during the 60 Minutes interview.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I had a radio show in college, and I've been on TV and radio (and in the paper) a bunch of times, none of them related to a crime being committed. ;)

Oct 20, 2008
Golf Course
About 8 years ago, Dan Patrick read an email of mine on air about a MNF game in which they talked about Angie Harmon more than they talked about Jason Sehorn.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Only once on the radio for me. Many years ago I won a contest for Annie Lennox tickets for a one-time-only performance in Central Park. THAT was a great experience.

The question was "What band was Annie Lennox and Dave Stuart in before Eurythmics?" I guess no one knew because unlike all the questions they asked beforehand, I was able to call and actually have someone pick up on the line. The answer is "The Tourists". ;)

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I called into the Jay Thomas show once and won a foot fetish movie..
I didn't know what the prize was when I called I just knew the answer. I talked to Shuli for a few minutes, he wanted to know if I was gay, it was a basketball question.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
When I was a subscriber to SIRIUS, Jose from Hard Attack (now Liquid Metal) mentioned me by my forum name a few times on the air. That was back when a few of the on-air personalities were registered at SBS.

My real name was mentioned on the air back in the Z-Rock days (if anybody can remember that radio station). I won a Chris Poland "Return to Metalopolis" CD from them signed by Chris.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
When I was a subscriber to SIRIUS, Jose from Hard Attack (now Liquid Metal) mentioned me by my forum name a few times on the air. That was back when a few of the on-air personalities were registered at SBS.

My real name was mentioned on the air back in the Z-Rock days (if anybody can remember that radio station). I won a Chris Poland "Return to Metalopolis" CD from them signed by Chris.

You mean your real name ISN'T Evil_Ernie? I've been living in a lie.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
When XM411 was still up, they had a promotion with some of the stations for a 'Summer Kickoff', I got quite a few of my requests played (the ONLY time that's ever happened on XM) and got my name mentioned quite a few times (Derek From Denver).

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
When XM411 was still up, they had a promotion with some of the stations for a 'Summer Kickoff', I got quite a few of my requests played (the ONLY time that's ever happened on XM) and got my name mentioned quite a few times (Derek From Denver).

Wait, your name's not Jon? I too have been living in a lie:shock:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Wait, your name's not Jon? I too have been living in a lie:shock:

I guess your name is not really Flap?!? :right:
I thought I knew you people!!

I am, in fact, Aaron, fwiw.

To answer the question... I've never been on the radio. But Alan Hunter once mentioned me on the '80s on 8 after I emailed him.
Also, I called an FM dj once in college to request In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which they ended up playing sometime around midnight.

Last edited:

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i've had emails read on the morning drive and sirius speedway. have been on the air a few times with sirius speedway and have won concert tickets from a local radio station by answering trivia questions.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I used to prank call Kato Kaelin when they switched 97.1 to a talk format back in the mid 90's. And Howard read half an email of mine back in like 1996. We used to have a mailing list called "Stern Rules!" that must have included someone from the show since our emails occasionally made it on the show. This was before they read emails on the air (they didn't even have a show email address). Back then they used to read the "faxes" and "letters". My email was a mini-review of Fred's band when they opened Ozzfest in Devore California. Howard read a little of it and Fred said a quick "Thank You". That made my week...

YourDream84

Dec 18, 2008
Oklahoma
Many times. Won a few autographed CDs on local radio. Have been on Jay Thomas twice. Last time I called in he talked to me for over 20 mins.

Also Jane Radio, and almost all CosmoRadio shows more than I can count. Won a book from Get in Bed playing 'The Dirty Truth' which is basically truth or dare without the dare... (Except The one with Diana Falzone... Too annoying). And a few times on Me & Vinnie... (damn I get around) ;-)

Ash

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
One of the pluses regarding northern Michigan radio in the 1990s was that it was quite easy to get on the air, especially for a contest. I won several pizzas from the local CHR, 106.7 The Peak as a kid. I also played a part in their "Peak It Or Plunge It" voting shows.

When I was much older, I phoned in The Dave Barber Show many times, often giving out my half-assed opinions.

However, there was one time I was ACTUALLY on the air in front of a mic. It was 1994 and I was doing a school project, researching what a morning show host does. I was at WKLT in Traverse City, and the station's morning man, Tim Murphy let me say a few words on the air. Ahhh, the good 'ol days when I didn't despise that station for being a POS...

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I've been on a bunch of times both in studio and also as a caller. I've called into Covino and Rich a bunch of times and gotten through.

In college, I worked for one of the local radio stations at Penn State. I was working there when the Penn State riots went on in the summer during the Arts Fest. I came into work and was telling everyone the story of how chaotic it was and the dj's heard about it and had me on the air to tell the story. It was fun but not too wise because about an hour later the police came to talk to me too about what I saw and who my friends were and if we trashed anything. In all honesty, I didn't break any cars or property so I pretty much told the truth but I gave them all fake names of my friends and didn't really help them at all.

I don't know if anyone is really aware of the Penn State riots on this board that happened in the late 90's but here is a link: It was sort of funny because it was during Penn State Arts Fest in the summer which is like this huge event where every student that has left for the summer comes back to party but it is also this super kid friendly event so it was sort of a real F YOU to everyone when a riot broke out.

Business | 1,500 Riot At Penn State Festival -- 24 Arrested, 14 Officers Hurt In College Melee | Seattle Times Newspaper