Has their ever been numbers released on HD Radio sales?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'd be curious to find where there are some hard numbers regarding HD Radio sales as compared to Satellite and iPods. To hear industry insiders talk, they are well below the SDARS sales, and not even touching iPods and mp3 players (who is, really?)

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I highly doubt they count or release numbers that small. Expecially if it can be counted using fingers and toes:icon_wink:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was thinking the same thing, but I was curious to see how small the numbers really were in comparison.

sgip2000

Oct 16, 2008
Hillsboro, OR
I bought the add-on tuner for my dash unit. Ibiquity had a $50 rebate at the time, so it was pretty inexpensive.

Still doesn't compare to Sirius/XM though.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Look at the iBiquity annual financial reports. I believe they are required to disclose stuff like that. But would definatly be counting HD chips on radios on shelfs since it is out of iBiquities hands.

ai4i

Oct 22, 2008
Area Code 954
I wish the station engineers would listen to them.
Are the streams everywhere as unreliable as they are in South Florida?

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
In northern Michigan - where I'm originally from - a broadcaster up there named Roy Henderson flipped his station to HD.

Now, this dumbass screwed over the folks in Traverse City by promising to build a multi-use development downtown. Instead, he left the city with an undeveloped hole that sat there for years.

In the process, he turned his station, WLDR - a fully-staffed AC station that was live and local - into a low-rated Country outlet mostly fed from Omaha.

Recently, the dumbass "upgraded" WLDR to HD radio. The upgrade also added to subchannels: HD2 is Smooth Jazz while HD3 is Fox Sports Radio. Folks with analog radios also have noticed that the station's sound quality is now quite poor.

Now he wants people to spend $100 on an HD radio to get the full advantage of his pathetic station. After all, he spent half a mil on the upgrades. However, the other station in town, WTCM is still kicking WLDR to the curb three times over. Unlike WLDR, WTCM is fully staffed and locally owned by a man who cares about Traverse City. As a matter of fact, one employee of WTCM has been with the station for nearly 60 years.

And how are HD radio sales in Traverse City? 0.0. Why spend $100 to get two little-listened stations when you can spend the same amount of money on a Sirius and get more?

If people get an HD radio, they're clueless.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It's somewhere less than 1 million units to date. I remember a number somewhere around 600,000 to 700,000 being thrown around.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I wanted to buy an HD Radio for the car, but I've heard some of the HD2 formats on various iPhone Radio apps and they aren't that great. Nothing that would make me want to rush right out and buy an HD Radio. HD Radio seems to be the burial ground for old formats that couldn't make it on the regular frequencies.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Here's what they do.

The main channel is as-is.

The HD-1, or whatever they call it is the morning show live and repeated all day.

The second HD channel is music 24/7. This works if the music station also has sports PbP coverage.

PocketRadio

Dec 8, 2008
HD Radio spinners claim a breakthrough year

I'd be curious to find where there are some hard numbers regarding HD Radio sales as compared to Satellite and iPods. To hear industry insiders talk, they are well below the SDARS sales, and not even touching iPods and mp3 players (who is, really?)

"HD Radio spinners claim a breakthrough year: Pulling a fast one"

"According to a press release from the Alliance 330,000 HD receivers were sold last year. This is a 725 per cent increase from the 40,000 sets purchased a year earlier and therefore 2007 was a 'breakthrough year' for the technology. In 2008 they will sell a million of the things."

Hd radio spinners claim a breakthrough year - The Inquirer

There were never 40,000 sets sold in 2006, nor 330,000 sold in 2007. The HD Alliance attempted to claim 1,000,000 sold this year, but never really backed up that claim. Struble likes to fudge the figures by claiming "how many HD chipsets shipped", as he claimed 1,500,000 - in reality, it's 1,500,000 chipsets sitting in some warehouse. In all of the major retailers, HD Radio virtually cannot be found, and Radio Shack has given up completely on HD Radio. iBiquity has run out of all lies, B.S., and exaggerations.