Has The Narrow Playlist Been Opened?

crazeecarroll

Oct 18, 2008
Hey guys I know this topic has been run in the ground quite a bit, but felt maybe it should be talked about again. I have noticed some small changes that seem to be taking place on the decades channels of late... On the 80's on 8 all be it small I have noticed some some R&B and some good pop hits showing up IE Kool & The Gang, Expose, Jody Watley. These were oustide of MQ shows and American Top 40... I have been a little more happy lately with Sirius and hope they keep opening things up... I know it is a long shot, but maybe if we can't have the XM kind of playlist atleast it will be a little more open then what it has been... CC

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The '80s on 8 is still much too reliant on the biggest hits of the decade, but I agree, they seem to have added some later decade R&B hits to the playlist lately. We can only hope that they continue to diversify the playlist! (And contact them directly if you've got their email address.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've noticed some stuff added too. The stuff added is not to my taste but should be played on an 80s channel.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of narrow playlists, my problem with Lithium is that they stick to the 90's. Take Pearl Jam for example. They're still making stuff today. Lithium really needs to branch out and play today's music by the 90's artists (Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, etc.)

JayDizz

Jan 3, 2009
Alt Nation plays new songs by Pearl Jam, Third Eye Blind, etc. I'd like to see Lithium add some songs on the deeper side of the 90s Alt scene. Anyone remember "120 Minutes" on MTV? They played some very cool, very weird shit in addition to some of the better known stuff. When I think 90s alternative, I think "120 Minutes". I miss that show.

Last edited:

crazeecarroll

Oct 18, 2008
Although I am sure the decades channels will never go back to XM size heck even a playlist of 700 to 900 with a few OH WOW tunes thrown in would better then what it is now... CC

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Speaking of narrow playlists, my problem with Lithium is that they stick to the 90's. Take Pearl Jam for example. They're still making stuff today. Lithium really needs to branch out and play today's music by the 90's artists (Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, etc.)

Thats why they have AltNation. Lithium should be 90s. Now if they dip into 2000 or 2001 thats not a big deal. Going to 2009 is.

crazeecarroll

Oct 18, 2008
The best way to handle Lithium is keep it simple 1988-2002 that way you get those late 80's songs that sounds 90's alt and the same with the Y2K... CC

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I've been listening to 80s on 8 for the last couple of days at work and noticed a few additions in-between the multiple spins of "Money for Nothing" and "Mickey".

I would love for them to expand the R&B and other hits that seem to be missing.

I did hear that "Goonies R Good Enough" song by Cyndi Lauper on the Lost Hits segment and it made me cringe just like it did back when it came out, but I still think it should be played.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK

I kind of like Lithium the way it is right now. I agree with the others, newer stuff should be represented on Alt Nation I would think.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is par for the course! It gets a bit better than gets worse! This has been going on for years! Does this mean this is a move by Sirius to actually open up the playlist with major adds and removals to keep their playlist fresh! I doubt it!

jbnv

Jan 20, 2021
Let's face it: If you want true '80s variety, you aren't going to get it on '80s on 8. They really need a "lost hits and/or/ deep tracks" channel for pop.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Let's face it: If you want true '80s variety, you aren't going to get it on '80s on 8. They really need a "lost hits and/or/ deep tracks" channel for pop.
Welcome, and nice job resurrecting an old thread. One of the shortcomings of SXM is the limited playlists, and the repetition. I see it on every channel I listen to. I would think that Deep Tracks and The Loft (online only) have a bigger playlist, but as you point out, they don't cater to 80's pop.

The only thing you can do for now, is to flip around. There are a few other channels that occasionally play 80's pop.

Reactions: HecticArt

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
The only variety is the AT40 countdowns which you will hear some rare hits between number 30ish to 40. (Same for 70’s on 7 with Casey Kasem)

Reactions: jbnv

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yeah, the repetition ebbs and flows.
The saving grace is the number of stations that you can flip to when you notice the repetition.
Unfortunately, they understand what FM figured out where most people don't listen for 8 or 10 hours at a stretch, so they repeat more for the casual listeners.

Reactions: sadchild