Has anyone checked out a new Windows phone?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I would like to see Microsoft get successful so that it will keep Apple on its toes.

My point exactly, besides there is room for multiple players in the US market. Though I am committed to my iPhone for now more so because of the ecosystem that it has given me than anything. I have been keeping up with Windows Phone and Androids. I've seen lots of reviews on both.

Competition is a good thing! Wait someone already said that. hehehe

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My point exactly, besides there is room for multiple players in the US market. Though I am committed to my iPhone for now more so because of the ecosystem that it has given me than anything. I have been keeping up with Windows Phone and Androids. I've seen lots of reviews on both.

Competition is a good thing! Wait someone already said that. hehehe

It's like deja vu all over again.......
And the DRC Yogi Berra Award goes to DAB! ! ! !
caricature_yogi_berra.jpg

:smm::smm:

Congratulations!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
There is only one app I actually miss related to 2 factor authentication, but plenty of new ones to play with. My favorites are built in ones, such as "Local Scout" to find anything of interest in the general vicinity, Bing verbal search, Zune music, and last but certainly not least, the awesome email integration. The one button access to the camera is pretty nice too and much faster than my iPhone.

My wife has fell in love with Wordament game, so I have to wrestle the phone back out of her hands :( She has an iPhone 4.

Part of the improved experience is the fact that my Windows phone has 4G LTE which makes the internet actually usable on AT&T.

Probably my biggest complaint would be the camera doesn't take as good as photos as my wife's iPhone, but they are definitely better than my iPhone 3GS

I had a co-worker who jailbroke is iPhone4S and made the interface like a Windows phone. He has all the iPhone apps (+ the ones Apple doesn't allow) and has a windows like phone. It looked pretty cool.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
My dad got the Nokia Lumia today. This phone is slick. If there's anything that might steer me away from an iPhone this would probably do it. I'll have to see what the 5S turns out to be like.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
My dad got the Nokia Lumia today. This phone is slick. If there's anything that might steer me away from an iPhone this would probably do it. I'll have to see what the 5S turns out to be like.

What makes you prefer it to an iPhone?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
What makes you prefer it to an iPhone?

I'm not sure I do quite yet (yes I know what I said) at least not by a lot, but it is a nice phone. The 41-MP camera is a big draw. Although it is my understanding that the app availability for Windows 8 Mobile isn't near what it is for iOS or even Android.

But then the 10th is in two days, maybe Apple will surprise me.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Why is a 41mp camera a huge draw. It isn't like people are taking pictures with their phone and want to blow them up to huge sizes for printing.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Why is a 41mp camera a huge draw. It isn't like people are taking pictures with their phone and want to blow them up to huge sizes for printing.

Cropping. At 41mp, you can zoom in 4x-8x after you take the picture and it still looks good. Since phones lack the optics for telephoto, giant sensors are a pretty good idea.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Cropping. At 41mp, you can zoom in 4x-8x after you take the picture and it still looks good. Since phones lack the optics for telephoto, giant sensors are a pretty good idea.

That's why I prefer to take my CAMERA to places where I want to take good pictures. And no my camera doesn't have a phone in it.
For me phone cameras are mainly for snappinga quick pic to send to your friends or tweet, not for lasting memory type stuff. Maybe I'm just weird like that. Like when I went to Joshua Tree National Park I took good pics with my camera, but snapped a few on my phone to text to my friends.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
That's why I prefer to take my CAMERA to places where I want to take good pictures. And no my camera doesn't have a phone in it.
For me phone cameras are mainly for snappinga quick pic to send to your friends or tweet, not for lasting memory type stuff. Maybe I'm just weird like that. Like when I went to Joshua Tree National Park I took good pics with my camera, but snapped a few on my phone to text to my friends.

I'm the same way. I took my good SLR and a couple of point and shoots with me on vacation last week. I only used my cell a few times. I used it mostly at the Dread Zeppelin concert. The still images from he cell aren't great, but the videos rock. No matter how many pixels a cell phone has, I can't picture the quality getting anywhere close to a dedicated camera. The processors and glass won't cut it for a very long time. Eventually maybe.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

But if you didn't own a dedicated camera (which is becoming typical, because phone cameras are getting better) you'd appreciate a better phone camera. That seems obvious.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm the same way. I took my good SLR and a couple of point and shoots with me on vacation last week. I only used my cell a few times. I used it mostly at the Dread Zeppelin concert. The still images from he cell aren't great, but the videos rock. No matter how many pixels a cell phone has, I can't picture the quality getting anywhere close to a dedicated camera. The processors and glass won't cut it for a very long time. Eventually maybe.

Check out Sony's QX10 and QX100. They're basically Sony's DSLR optics and sensor in a package that's drive by apps on your phone, packed in the smallest space possible so they can be mounted on your phone. I hate Sony, but this is a great idea.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
But if you didn't own a dedicated camera (which is becoming typical, because phone cameras are getting better) you'd appreciate a better phone camera. That seems obvious.

I like not having to carry a second camera or worry about cards filling up.