Happy Birthday to The Walkman!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Happy Birthday! The Walkman Turns 30 - PC World
:yesshake:

Sony introduced its Walkman portable cassette player thirty years ago this week, kicking off a revolution in the consumer electronics industry by changing the way people enjoy music.
Until its introduction, the only way people could enjoy their own choice of music while on the go was to lug around a larger, heavier cassette player, but the Walkman brought music to the belt-clip, purse or pocket.
The first Walkman, the TPS-L2, cost ¥33,000 in Japan and US$200 in the U.S., but despite the relatively high price tag the reception was enthusiastic. In 1980 The Wall Street Journal called the Walkman "one of the hottest new status symbols around" and noted that prospective U.S. owners faced a month-long wait because of a backlog in orders.
Walkmans changed how I interacted with music forever.

How many of you out there had walkmans (or other) back in the day?

I was not a fan of sony, due to the betamax debacle, so I always had Aiwa 'personal cassette players'. My favorite was the Aiwa j400. it had am/fm, auto reverse, metal and chromium oxide tape settings, and recorded in stereo from external mike or the radio. the mike came off and had an extension cable, or you could use a patch cable to record from your friends hifi turntable or the control board at a concert. Oh my goodness, what would the Riaa say?

Good times old buddy, I will always miss you...:cry:

I had these great sounding speakers too. All in a small metal briefcase, with an extra battery pack of 4 "C" cell batteries and enough room for a dozen or so tapes.:dj2:

There is some great old photos in Pocket Calculator's Vintage Walkman Museum.

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I had a Walkman WM-2:

It sounded so much better than any other tape deck I'd ever heard. I remember the first two tapes I played on it, Ozzy's "Blizzard of Oz" and Pink Floyd's "Meddle". It was an amazing device.

I used to love Sony. Beta was better.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Oddly enough, I have a Walkman - albeit newer one - sitting next to me. I usually take it with me on trips just to check out what the local radio is like and bitch about it on my blogs ;)

Sorry, gotta promote Sirius somehow.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I don't think I ever had an official WALKMAN because I don't think I would have paid the sony prices. But I had a zillion other ones, from generic to the AIWA to whatever else. Does anybody else remember the SUPER SH!tty ones that didn't even have a REWIND button? God, those sucked.

Tapes, while small, were by far the suckiest form of listening to music. Even with records you didn't have to FF or REW just to get to a song. Plus, the audio quality on tapes were so horrible.

But, back in the day, tapes were king and the walkman was a must have.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
i used to wear out walkman's like they were going out of style. I'd literally run them until the motors started to wear out and my tapes would get all warbly. that lasted probably through the end of college when I got my hands on my first mp3 player - a Rio 500 from Diamond.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I don't think I ever had an official WALKMAN because I don't think I would have paid the sony prices.

That's because you're a young whipper-snapper. Back in the day, Sony was the only option. I think my WM2 was $120, but that seemed like a bargain at the time.

Now get off my lawn.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
i had a Walkman with auto-reverse. It was neat :)

Someone broke into my locker and stole it, though :worried:

Oh well. iPodz is better :D

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
That's because you're a young whipper-snapper. Back in the day, Sony was the only option. I think my WM2 was $120, but that seemed like a bargain at the time.

Now get off my lawn.

Perhaps I should have corrected my post to read "...my parents would have never paid sony prices."