Halladay to Phils, Lee to Seattle

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I think Hallyday is a better pitcher than Lee, but I can't understand why Philadelphia really needed to make this move. I think Seattle makes out the best through this deal. I also think that both the Yankees and Red Sox are loving this deal more than anyone.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I think Hallyday is a better pitcher than Lee, but I can't understand why Philadelphia really needed to make this move. I think Seattle makes out the best through this deal. I also think that both the Yankees and Red Sox are loving this deal more than anyone.

I agree. Both are good/great pitchers that can play the control/grounder and/or strikeout game when needed. My only issue with the deal is that a dominant lefty is harder to find than a dominant righty. Plus, Lee helped carry them to the series - and for their appreciation - they send him out west.

Lee should do well in the Mariner's pitcher-friendly park.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Lackey has already gone from the Angels to the Red Sox, so this could put the Mariners over the top in the division, or at least contend for it, if they can score runs. It also makes the division that much more interesting.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Lackey has already gone from the Angels to the Red Sox, so this could put the Mariners over the top in the division, or at least contend for it, if they can score runs. It also makes the division that much more interesting.

Lackey is a strong pitcher, he tends to give his team a great chance to win every time he takes the mound, but let's be real...the contract he received, especially the years, could prove to be crippling. He will do well with a great hitting club, like he did with the Angels...I don't know, I don't get it.

I think the Yankees don't mind one bit that the Red Sox paid what they did for his services. The Yankees are looking very strong for next year, with Hallyday gone and the Red Sox eventually losing Bay.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
That's the one thing I don't understand about the Sox losing Bay, when they don't really have a replacement for him. They signed Adrian Beltre which is another head scratcher. Unless they have a major deal up their sleeve before spring training.

Lackey at least adds depth to the rotation, which they could have used when Wakefield was injured most of last year. I don't doubt the contract might be a little high, but then I think that way of most sports contracts, I don't care how good you are.