Haiti relief

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
Yesterday I was in front of a store and there were 4 people standing outside, each with a plastic tub that said Haiti Relief. I didn't notice people giving them money and I can see why. Anyone can stand out there, doesn't mean the money goes to where they say, and that's a shame.

My company notified us that they will match any amount we send in to the Red Cross, so I'll
go that route.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yesterday I was in front of a store and there were 4 people standing outside, each with a plastic tub that said Haiti Relief.

Toss in four pairs of leather work gloves and tell them they'll need them when they get down there to assist with the efforts!

Reactions: antsie

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
<<--- donated $0.00

I had a very, very bad experience with Haitians in Miami, as did my brother-in-law.

I'm totally jaded.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Thats cool, Miamis is full of assholes, but I would rather boycott Disney world than deal with the sticky karma when the next big one hits PA...

Damage-range comparison between a moderate New Madrid zone earthquake (1895, magnitude 6.8), and a similar Los Angeles event (1994, magnitude 6.7).
NMSZ_Vergleich.jpg

if thats just a lowly 6.8 id hate to be anywhere on the east coast for the repeat of the February 1812, New Madrid one that was 8.3.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Thats cool, Miamis is full of assholes, but I would rather boycott Disney world than deal with the sticky karma when the next big one hits PA...

if thats just a lowly 6.8 id hate to be anywhere on the east coast for the repeat of the February 1812, New Madrid one that was 8.3.

That's fair enough and I firmly believe in karma.

Haiti's been warned for a while now. They didn't prepare and now look at the outcome. I tend to help those who help themselves and don't rely on charity. "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, he eats for the rest of his life"

And my area had a very bad flood about 4 years ago. Did I go running and screaming to state and federal government for assistance? Nope. And why not? Because I prepare for the worst because I know it's not "if" but "when".

I have stores of water, food, medicince and other supplies for the inevitable - call me crazy.

I'm almost 100% positive you're going to write back to tell me how I'm wrong so g'head, I'm ready for it.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Haiti's been warned for a while now. They didn't prepare and now look at the outcome. I tend to help those who help themselves and don't rely on charity. "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, he eats for the rest of his life"

And my area had a very bad flood about 4 years ago. Did I go running and screaming to state and federal government for assistance? Nope. And why not? Because I prepare for the worst because I know it's not "if" but "when".

I have stores of water, food, medicince and other supplies for the inevitable - call me crazy.

I'm almost 100% positive you're going to write back to tell me how I'm wrong so g'head, I'm ready for it.

Food and water today. Tomorrow, we do it right.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
I am going to text the word "Haiti" to 45678 to donate $5 to the Canadian Salvation Army and I'll add $20 to my monthly ISP bill to donate to ShelterBox sends shelter relief to Haiti. And my internet provider is adding funds so my $20 becomes $25. Not bad for a small town in Ontario, as of 5 pm today enough money has been raised to send 8 and working on #9.

Last edited:

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA

The thing about it is this: These are people that are struggling to get by day-to-day, then when something like this happens, they absolutely have nothing. Its hard to prepare for tomorrow, when you barely have enough for today.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
The thing about it is this: These are people that are struggling to get by day-to-day, then when something like this happens, they absolutely have nothing. Its hard to prepare for tomorrow, when you barely have enough for today.

I can see where you're coming from.

However, why do these people not rise up and change the system that allows them to fester and live in squaller? Why are there no revolutionaries or patriotic countrymen who are speaking out against the atrocities? :scratch:

Do they really just accept their living conditions? I think the help needs to be deeper rooted than just putting the proverbial band-aid on this badly wounded nation. I have the same beliefs for most poor-off countries of Africa. If they continually rely on outside help during emergencies and natural disasters, what motivation do they have to develop their own infrastructure and resource management systems?

To be fair, I also have to state my belief that the focus should be on the US and the needs of our own citizens. We have our own issues and until we resolve them, we should limit our involvement in others' business. And, in order to not be hypocritical, I didn't give a shit about Haiti before this and I certainly don't now. (good Lord, I know I'm going to catch flak for this but I think the truly humanitarian thing to do is NOT provide abundant relief efforts, supplies, etc.)

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I can see where you're coming from.

However, why do these people not rise up and change the system that allows them to fester and live in squaller? Why are there no revolutionaries or patriotic countrymen who are speaking out against the atrocities? :scratch:

Do they really just accept their living conditions? I think the help needs to be deeper rooted than just putting the proverbial band-aid on this badly wounded nation. I have the same beliefs for most poor-off countries of Africa. If they continually rely on outside help during emergencies and natural disasters, what motivation do they have to develop their own infrastructure and resource management systems?

To be fair, I also have to state my belief that the focus should be on the US and the needs of our own citizens. We have our own issues and until we resolve them, we should limit our involvement in others' business. And, in order to not be hypocritical, I didn't give a shit about Haiti before this and I certainly don't now. (good Lord, I know I'm going to catch flak for this but I think the truly humanitarian thing to do is NOT provide abundant relief efforts, supplies, etc.)

There is some truth to your statement. I would caution, that now is not the time for politics, theories, or what not. Now is the time for compassion. Politics and Infrastructure issues can wait...

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Hyson, these are all poor people. The government has guns. :rolleyes:

We're so quick to advise other populaces to just "rise up" and overthrow their governments, because we managed to separate from the British in the late 18th century. Some quick facts as to why that worked:

• We had an educated, wealthy, landowning elite that could afford to bankroll a war and understood politics, economics and what it would take to organize and carry out a rebellion.
  • We had tremendous help from the French. Without them, the Brits roll us, easy.
  • The British still maintained extensive colonies in Canada and the Carribbean. They didn't have to hang on to thirteen colonies that had become more trouble than they were worth.

See? Complicated. We had way more advantages than the Haitians (and yet the Brits still came back and kicked our asses in 1812--they f*cking burned the White House!).

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
The followers of reaganomics have done everything in their power to keep people like the Haitians from rising up. the more helpless poor people there are in the world, the fatter the fat cats can get. simple economics. They get the upside, we cover the down side, and the poor just get fucked over.

Air drops should have been going on everyday since the earth shook. Drop the load in the hills, then land empty at airport and quickly evac as many as possible (rinse,lather, repeat). once those able to get out to the drop zone get there, then go through town reaching those that are unable to move.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I already fund 50% of a school (my girlfriend's dad does the other 50%) so I won't be giving anything else. Thankfully our school (I call it ours because my GF's grandfather actually built it (in terms of money, 100%, and labor) wasn't hurt in the quake.