Haiti relief

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Done Yesterday. Real easy and they just add the charge to your phone bill. Some of the pictures coming out of Haiti are heartbreaking.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Just don't donate to that Wyclef Jean Yele charity. I heard a story on the radio that they don't really use that much of the donations to the people who need it most.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Just don't donate to that Wyclef Jean Yele charity. I heard a story on the radio that they don't really use that much of the donations to the people who need it most.
I believe NONE of the charities are giving 100% of the money donated. I can't wat to see all the new scams that will come from this tragedy.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
The best part of the TEXT TO DONATE is that it takes about 3 MONTHS for the money to get to HAITI!

That's some bullshit right there.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
So pay you cell bill today/ and also donate to http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/

lets give wyclef the benefit of the doubt for now...if you pay living wages to your production staff for fund raising gigs it adds up quick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDE8YJac0Wc"]YouTube - Wyclef's Personal Statement on the accusations against Yele Haiti[/ame]

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
That's the website I donated to.
Yeah, I figure if those two (and obama too) agree on it, "its a good thing."

Plus its not like port au prince wont also need my texted 10 bucks three months from now...

What cell companies should do is allow you to doante a percent of your minutes/texts/data on your current plan and then the carriers donate instantly that share of your bill.

Just cut my cell minutes in half for the next few months, and send half my normal bills to haiti. surely I can live with only using half my normal call volume.

really its win/win/win- Haiti gets more money faster, cell phones companies get reduced usage on their over burdened networks and we get some peace and quiet.

Last edited:

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Anyone bitching about "how long it takes the money to get to Haiti" or how much of it reaches Haiti doesn't get nonprofits or fundraising. First, the American Red Cross doesn't wait for donations to arrive in their mailbox before they respond. The storm hits, the earthquake strikes, the Red Cross vans roll out. As much as anything else, your money is replacing the funds the Red Cross has already spent to prepare for the current disaster.

Second, admin costs are high and always will be. People are expensive, and it takes expensive campaigns to get cheap-ass Americans to come off their dough for charity.

The Red Cross is pretty respectable. There was some media hype over how much they paid Elizabeth Dole to be their president, but it was just that: hype. The Red Cross has $6 billion in revenues and 30,000 employees. Not only is it a large company, it's one of the largest non-profits in the world.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I haven't given yet. I want to, but I'm hesitant to.

I don't give money to pan handlers because I don't know what they're going to do with my money. I don't know what these charities are going to do with my money, or what they're going to do with the rations we give them.

I'll review my options and decide what's best. Doctors without Boarders might be my best option.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
It is funny the range of responses to this thread. You know, if you always look for the negative, or bad things, trust me you WILL find them. I know there may not be a perfect solution to this problem, but, if 85% of your money is going to help people whats the problem? Last time I checked that is 85% more money than what the Haitian people have had before.

There are a million ways you can justify being a jerk, or sitting on the sidelines for anything, but there a million more reasons you should feel good about donating.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It is funny the range of responses to this thread. You know, if you always look for the negative, or bad things, trust me you WILL find them. I know there may not be a perfect solution to this problem, but, if 85% of your money is going to help people whats the problem? Last time I checked that is 85% more money than what the Haitian people have had before.

There are a million ways you can justify being a jerk, or sitting on the sidelines for anything, but there a million more reasons you should feel good about donating.

Very true, but there are unscrupulous people out there that are taking the donations and none of the money goes to help. You just need to be careful who you are giving to. If I can pick someone that's giving 85% - 90% to the cause vs someone thats giving 40% - 0% I'd feel better knowing it went to the right place.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Very true, but there are unscrupulous people out there that are taking the donations and none of the money goes to help. You just need to be careful who you are giving to. If I can pick someone that's giving 85% - 90% to the cause vs someone thats giving 40% - 0% I'd feel better knowing it went to the right place.

Oh yea, of course, you DO have to be careful. But in the end you can nitpick any "good thing" to death.