Group names missing "The"?

hesh

Dec 8, 2008
I did a quick search but didn't find anything about this... what's up with group names (at least on the 80's on 8 and First Wave) missing "The" from their names? So instead of "The Cure" being displayed, it's just "Cure"? I've seen this for a few other groups as well.

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
I did a quick search but didn't find anything about this... what's up with group names (at least on the 80's on 8 and First Wave) missing "The" from their names? So instead of "The Cure" being displayed, it's just "Cure"? I've seen this for a few other groups as well.
Probably an alphabetizing thing. Don't want all those "The" bands listed under "T". It's the same on other channels. The Beatles are Beatles; etc.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
People complain all the time about the artist title being cut off, why do we need THE?

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Do you happen to have an SL-10, SL-100, or SL-200?

I know they like to take away "The" and repeats.

When "Talk Talk" by Talk Talk plays, it just says "Talk Talk" on the display without the song info.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Do you happen to have an SL-10, SL-100, or SL-200?

I know they like to take away "The" and repeats.

When "Talk Talk" by Talk Talk plays, it just says "Talk Talk" on the display without the song info.

The second thing is a feature built into the stilettos. If a song has the same artist and title it only shows it once. It's so when you put the radio on a talk channel (SIRIUS talk channel feeds, at least when they were a separate company, showed the artist and song fields as the talk show name, I don't know if it's still the same) it only shows the show name once. It has the unfortunate side effect of making songs and artist that have the same name only show up once. I noticed it on the song Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
I know I've seen before the Beatles listed as "The Beatles" on Classic Vinyl and simply as "Beatles" on 60's on 6.

crazeecarroll

Oct 18, 2008
Ya know I also noticed a lot of (The) missing from artist with (The) in the front of their name. I just always figured it was how the music was loaded with XM's Prophet system... Maybe I am Crazee, but always seemed to remember when Sirius was Solo all the titles were much more correct... CC

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Didn't early XM radios have a 16 character limit on the artist/song line? I think Sirius had a 32 character limit. Maybe that is another reason?

That is correct. My Sony PNP, Delphi SkyFi & Roady2 all had only 16 Character limit...:)
Posted via Mobile Device