Groceries

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Looking at Walmart prices on grapes, I'm getting between $2.49 and $3.99 per pound. So unless they're basically free down by you, I can't see getting 2.4 lbs for $2. Plus, I always get skeeved out when I see those unrefrigerated baskets of fresh fruit at Walmart. At the grocery store, they're in a chilled section, with that mist spraying on them.

When I buy grapes, I get between 1 and 2 lbs. I can't see getting 2.4 lbs for 1 person.

Went to Walmart before my shot this morning. Here are the grapes I saw:

And that price is for the whole bag.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Yes. If you zoom in on the pic it says $0.123/oz so that works out to $1.96/pound. Those must be 1 pound bags and thus the $1.96 pricetag.

Grape talk! What could be more exciting?

Last edited:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
hanna-barbera-studios-the-great-grape-ape-stock-production-cel-(hanna-barbera,-1975).jpg

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So that would still be $5 for the grapes you got, and those are some sad looking grapes. They're supposed to be chilled, sitting neatly on ice, and getting misted. Those are like grapes that already got tossed into the garbage bin.

And why do you shop at a place where everything is from China or some 3rd world country? Don't you want to support local American business?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So that would still be $5 for the grapes you got

Still basically half the price of what I paid at another conglomerate, Publix.

They're supposed to be chilled

Ha, they do look sad, but that is a chilled shelving unit they are on.

And why do you shop at a place where everything is from China or some 3rd world country? Don't you want to support local American business?

Are you trying to pick a fight? It's not like some wildly abnormal thing for people to shop at Walmart. And you could say that about any modern convenience...Amazon, Costco, etc.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Are you trying to pick a fight? It's not like some wildly abnormal thing for people to shop at Walmart. And you could say that about any modern convenience...Amazon, Costco, etc.
I'm not interested in fighting, and I think the obvious answer is that you want things cheap. It's just my observation that the loud, flag-waving "buy 'Murican" crowd tends to actually shop at Walmart, while the "Volvo-driving, latte-lapping, left-wing Leibowitz" type (that was what a coworker called Mrs. Scotch) tends to support local small businesses. And that's a totally rhetorical thought, so I'm not expecting you to reply or defend.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm not interested in fighting, and I think the obvious answer is that you want things cheap. It's just my observation that the loud, flag-waving "buy 'Murican" crowd tends to actually shop at Walmart, while the "Volvo-driving, latte-lapping, left-wing Leibowitz" type (that was what a coworker called Mrs. Scotch) tends to support local small businesses. And that's a totally rhetorical thought, so I'm not expecting you to reply or defend.
They just go to walmart in off hours when nobody is looking.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Ok, here's what I bought at Walmart today.

Great Value burger buns - Great Value bread is really just rebranded Sara Lee bread that is based in Illinois and baked in the USA.

1lb ground beef - Walmart beef comes from Georgia, Texas and various other places inside the USA.

Febreze - Procter and Gamble is based in Cincinnati, but yes those are actually made in China.

Tomatoes - They come from various parts of Central America.

So 50% of my purchase today was made in the USA.

And I've discussed before how I don't really care about my local town any more than I care about yours or Hectic's (bad example...cause Toledo) or Aaron's. I mean I'd like my town to be clean and free of crime but overall I care about the country as a whole more than 1 specific town where I happen to live. I'd like Everytown USA to be doing well.

And yes, I am looking for the best possible prices. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
We tend to buy a lot of the groceries at Walmart to save a few bucks.
But most of the fruit and vegetables and meat, we buy at a regular grocery store. Because of quality and they keep the fruit chilled.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
And how do you suppose shopping at Walmart helps?

It provides a ton of jobs to various communities. Now of course most positions are not skilled, high paying jobs, but they're still a major place of employment. Better than being unemployed.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It provides a ton of jobs to various communities. Now of course most positions are not skilled, high paying jobs, but they're still a major place of employment. Better than being unemployed.
It's 98% low paying jobs with little or no benefits. And in each town across the US, Walmart replaced locally owned stores which sold much more American-made products, and employed more people.

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument; there's really nothing to debate. This country's going down the shitter, and it's largely because of the Walmart effect. I don't expect anyone to do anything about it; I just don't like the hypocrisy that it has generated.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It's 98% low paying jobs with little or no benefits. And in each town across the US, Walmart replaced locally owned stores which sold much more American-made products, and employed more people.

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument; there's really nothing to debate. This country's going down the shitter, and it's largely because of the Walmart effect. I don't expect anyone to do anything about it; I just don't like the hypocrisy that it has generated.
Walmart employs people at the minimum legal wages and provides the minimum legal benefits. The problem is not with Walmart but with the setting of those wages and requirements. If you set a wage so low nobody can live on it, don't blame the corporation that takes advantage of that. Corporations have no soul or conscience other than maximizing profits. It is the responsibility of government to set the minimum wage.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I can't believe I'm defending Walmart, but here we go.

The average minimum Walmart wage is $11/hour. That is significantly higher than the federal $7.25/hour minimum wage and also higher than many states' minimum wages. So long as you don't live in a major city, most people can get by on that. They are also the single largest private employer in the nation.

Next up, above you basically said that GOP'ers are the Walmart types and Dems are the buy local type. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think it's all about one's financial situation. If you are well off enough to be the "Volvo-driving" type, you can then worry about buying local since you likely have income to spare. If you drive a 2005 RAV4, getting the most for your money is king. How many times have you heard me rant about scouring ads for Publix BOGOs and whatnot? Yea I get a kick out of it, but the main reason I do it is for savings. Walmart is the cheapest in town (well maybe Aldi too) and thus that's where I go to get all my non-BOGO stuff. So yea, they undercut local businesses throughout the country to grow to what they are today, but that undercutting also led to savings for the average consumer like me.

And while far from rich, I don't really have to worry about things too much. There are tons of people way worse off where having Walmart in town, as opposed to only pricy local shops, is a godsend.

Last edited: