Great movies that don't get respect??

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
A couple of my favs:

1. The Mist--(on showtime as I type this)

2. Quick Change--The one where Bill Murray dresses like a clown to rob a bank.

3. Hudson Hawk--The Bruce Willis movie where he is a cat burglar

4. They Live

I'll think of some more.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Taps - The only movie I've ever liked with Sean Penn, great performances from a movie that has so many great themes.

The Truman Show - Consistently funny, brought up reality tv's merits before it became a phenomenon. You just think about the questions of exploitation it brings up, and look at the pop culture nuggets this year of exploited people on reality tv, and what it does to people. Powerful stuff there.

Fanboys - Stupid in some places, hilarious in others, but it's mostly an ode to the nerd, and highly recommended for any Star Wars fans.

Stranger Than Fiction - Not a great film by any means, but it just personally inspired me.

Reactions: Aaron

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Both of those are respected (Brazil is 98%......)
Gilliam's original cut of the film is 142 minutes long and ends on a dark note. This version was released internationally outside the US by 20th Century Fox. US distribution was handled by Universal. Universal executives thought the ending tested poorly, and Universal chairman Sid Sheinberg insisted on dramatically re-editing the film to give it a happy ending, a decision that Gilliam resisted vigorously.
Anyone that saw both versions knows how disrespectful to Terry, and movie fans, the Universal edit really was.

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Battle of the Sexes---One of Sellers' most underrated performances...so sweet.

Head---The greatest "180 degree turn" band makeover ever.

The Man in the White Suit---It pinpoints what is wrong in today's society and why it can never change for the better.

After Hours---Scorcese's second funniest movie

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
A Simple Plan (1998). Great story and performances. Billy Bob Thornton and Bill Paxton. As well written as Fargo but didn't do as well at the box office.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007). Another well written caper that goes wrong.

Arlington Road (1999). Slow at the beginning but an ending that makes up for the earlier missteps.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Color of Night :shock:
The Right Stuff
Apollo 13
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Bring it On

If I think of anymore I'll post them :)

Quick Change--The one where Bill Murray dresses like a clown to rob a bank.

I love Geena Davis in that movie :fallinlove: