Grand Central now Google Voice

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I upgraded my Grand Central account to Google Voice today. They finally (after 2 years of no activity) upgraded the service and added a whole bunch of new stuff. They included some voice mail to text, SMS and other cool features. It also has a look and feel more like GMail now.

Hopefully they'll open up to new users in the near future.

Anyone else give it a try?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Grand Central is a "one number for life" sort of service. You use it as a forwarding service to your other "hard" phones like work, home, and mobile.

Google acquired the service about 2 years ago and it more or less languished. There was concern that the services was going to die a slow death. However, it re-launched yesterday as Google Voice.

Some of the better features included: the ability to handle incoming calls based on rules you set up. For example, you could have certain calls ring certain phones during certain hours. Or, you could send unknown calls or people you are trying to avoid straight to voice mail (or give them an "out of service" message). It also has a voice mail system. As of now, you can make free outgoing calls in the US.

Pretty cool stuff considering the price!!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Ah. I use my mobile phone for everything, so I've already got one number for life.

I wish I could do that. I live in a real dead zone. No mobile phones work reliably. It's not like I'm in the sticks either. They keep promising... I'm waiting!!