GPS opinions please under $150.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I purchased a couple of Garmin Nuvi 260's as gifts during the holidays and got them for $149. This baby does the turn by turn instructions WITH STREET NAMES, most lower end units do not. It is also supported by Garmin on the NuMaps's Lifetime program, so you pay one flat rate and get quarterly map updates for the life of the product. Some of their older models they do not offer this program for. This one has a small footprint and in my experience with it, works very well! Speaker is nice and loud!

Also don't be fooled by model numbers thinking for example the C330 is a newer model than the Nuvi 260 because it is not and they change their model number scheme a while back.

What's in the Box:

• nüvi 260
  • Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America
  • Vehicle suction cup mount*
  • Vehicle power cable
  • Dashboard disc
  • Quick start manual

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I purchased a couple of Garmin Nuvi 260's as gifts during the holidays and got them for $149. This baby does the turn by turn instructions WITH STREET NAMES, most lower end units do not. It is also supported by Garmin on the NuMaps's Lifetime program, so you pay one flat rate and get quarterly map updates for the life of the product. Some of their older models they do not offer this program for. This one has a small footprint and in my experience with it, works very well! Speaker is nice and loud!

Also don't be fooled by model numbers thinking for example the C330 is a newer model than the Nuvi 260 because it is not and they change their model number scheme a while back.

What's in the Box:

• nüvi 260
  • Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America
  • Vehicle suction cup mount*
  • Vehicle power cable
  • Dashboard disc
  • Quick start manual

Thanks. I'm leaning towards this one.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
tomtoms are real cheap but are kinda flakey finding the sats when they boot up sometimes.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The Nuvi 350 was the Cadillac of GPS devices for a long time. The only draw back is the screen brightness compared to the newer Nuvi models in bright daylight. They work very, very well though and for that price it would be hard to pass up.

I do agree with reburbs being okay. Many times these are items purchased and returned with nothing wrong with them, the person simply changed their mind. The ones that have had issues have been fixed and tested.

I've bought a couple of HP Business Notebooks that were refurbs and have never had any problems with any of them, but did save several hundred dollars.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Quick question: When they refurbish GPS units, do they update the maps? That looks like a good deal until you think about the fact you may have to purchase a map upgrade to go along with it, especially with your area changing (as mine is)

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Quick question: When they refurbish GPS units, do they update the maps? That looks like a good deal until you think about the fact you may have to purchase a map upgrade to go along with it, especially with your area changing (as mine is)

It will have the same maps on it as when it was new. Garmin has better maps than the other I have tried, my 5 year old street pilot has more places than my 06 Honda system or my 09 Toyota system.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just received mine today, from Tigerdirect.com and when i registered it on Garmin.com it had the current maps on it.

Usually when they are refurbished they do update the maps. I know I had purchased a reburbed Nuvi 360 for one of our company vans early last year and it had the newer maps on it.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Usually when they are refurbished they do update the maps. I know I had purchased a reburbed Nuvi 360 for one of our company vans early last year and it had the newer maps on it.

I might have to try a refurbed one. I was dumb enough to leave my Mio out in my car one day, the temps inside my car got really high, and now the battery won't hold a charge for more than 10 minutes (It's a bigger problem than it sounds because the device runs on Windows CE; when it loses power completely it forgets the time and takes a while to boot up). It's still good enough to get me where I need to go, but the maps are kind of out of date and it's not worth it to me to buy new maps for a crippled GPS (albeit by my own stupidity)

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 260 from Costco for $130. It's discontinued, but it looks like a good deal.

The Nuvi 260 arrived yesterday. Updating the maps from the Garmin website was a pain in the ass, mostly because it insists on expanding the 2+ GB files on drive C. I had to create a junction to give that enough space. It took hours to download and install the new map, and the web site wasn't really clear that you have to register the device to get the free update.

The device itself is astounding. It's tiny, runs cool, has lots of different English accents, and knows the names of all the streets. I blindly obeyed it this morning and it shaved 3 minutes off my normal commute.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The Nuvi 260 arrived yesterday. Updating the maps from the Garmin website was a pain in the ass, mostly because it insists on expanding the 2+ GB files on drive C. I had to create a junction to give that enough space. It took hours to download and install the new map, and the web site wasn't really clear that you have to register the device to get the free update.

The device itself is astounding. It's tiny, runs cool, has lots of different English accents, and knows the names of all the streets. I blindly obeyed it this morning and it shaved 3 minutes off my normal commute.

Yeah, but it is likely most people have enough space on drive c, so they won't have to jump through that hoop. I know I didn't. It took 1 hours 15 minutes to download the maps and then another 1.5 for it to actually upgrade the Nuvi.

Since my 260 is a couple of years old, I have the NuMaps service, so now I get updates every 4 months and those aren't as big nor do they take as long to install.

I think for many people it just makes more sense to get the DVD sent to them instead of trying to download.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Yeah, but it is likely most people have enough space on drive c, so they won't have to jump through that hoop.

Then you'd be surprised. A lot of OEMs make C a 10-20G partition, and fill it with all kinds of crap.

I found a tool to help me make my own voices for the Nuvi, and another tool to help me make a Dalek voice. I can't wait to get that going.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Then you'd be surprised. A lot of OEMs make C a 10-20G partition, and fill it with all kinds of crap.

I found a tool to help me make my own voices for the Nuvi, and another tool to help me make a Dalek voice. I can't wait to get that going.

Oh I would not be surprised at all! But folks like you and I this should not be a problem because the first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean all the garbage off thereby freeing up a lot of space.

Yeah the I've seen those program, they work for general terms, but they generally don't work for street names etc.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Oh I would not be surprised at all! But folks like you and I this should not be a problem because the first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean all the garbage off thereby freeing up a lot of space.

You're still left with application data filling up the C partition, even after you remove the garbage. I had to figure out where Garmin was expanding its files and create a junction to get it onto another partition.

Yeah the I've seen those program, they work for general terms, but they generally don't work for street names etc.

No, it won't read street names, but I want a Dalek telling me where to go.