GPS disappointment

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I've had a TomTom One and a Garmin 255W...and they're great devices...each with things I wish the other had. Bought both as each represent one of the two mapping systems technologies available. Anywho...I'm an electronic "gadget" collector from many years back and wifey, after 38 years of marriage..knows and accepts that...anywho, with that background, I'll get to the "disappointment."

Wife and I just had our 38th wedding anniversary and for a gift she got me the big 7", $599 specifically for truckers, WorldNav GPS. Bless her heart.

I used it for a couple weeks alongside my Garmin...what a disappointment...doesn't tell ya to turn until you're right on top of the turn...doesn't show graphics of exits until right on top of it..in most cases past the ramp...anywho...it's got a lot of great bells and whistles on top of being a GPS...but, as a GPS it has a looooonnnnggg way to go. Also, really didn't like having a big 7" screen...too big to mount up in the windshield area...

Well...Garmin's supposed to be coming out with a new one for truckers very soon...may already be out...gave back the WorldNav unit to the truckstop wife bought it at...but, they don't give cash back...just replace, so when they get the new Garmin for trucking they're gonna give me one in trade. And it's only 4.3"

The new Garmin Nuvi 465T can be seen here.
Garmin 465T

In trying to find out when it may be out at the retailers I called the local Target as suggested by Garmin...they don't have it. Called Best Buy, the biggest Garmin retailer in our area...they have it in their computers...projected availability date, 16 June, can take pre-orders now. Wonder if the TA's will get it about the same time???

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I have the tomtom and the only issues I have with it are the battery lasts 6seconds (can't they figure out batteries yet????) and sometimes it takes 10-20min to find a satellite (not always but usually when you are in a hurry and lost)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
The new Garmin Nuvi 465T can be seen here.
Garmin 465T

I just couldn't see spending that kinda money on a GPS, so I never bought one. It's too bad you had to be the one to find out about it...:worried:

That nüvi® 465T looks cool. I can't wait for it to come out. I won't be buying it at a truck stop, that's for sure...;)

Thanks for the info...:D

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm still in love with my Garmin 260. It was $130 from Costco. It works flawlessly. The only things I wish it had were the traffic alerts and a Dalek voice.

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
What do you all use a GPS for?? I have navigation on my blackberry and use it to find addresses but can't imagine what else I would need it for.

LOL !! as stated in my original post I'm basically an electronic gadget junky...have been since I set aside "slide rules" for the first ever handheld calculator that came out back in the early 70's LOL !!!

Anywho...I'm a truck driver and drive all 48 states and Canada and for years never used a GPS....and although I'll admit they have made some things easier and faster....my primary interest is probably just "studying" the differences between manufacturers and the facination with the technologies that have been developed.

My interest in GPS's didn't really get going until my daughter, who works for Verizon Business, bought me a Voyager cell phone with the Verizon Navigator on it. Anywho...it gives me something else to do and think about while out on the road.

Some folks are alcoholics...me...since the arrival of calculators, then the word processor, then the TRS80 Model 100 laptop with a modem that had rubber cups for the telephone, micro-cassette storage (no such thing as hard drives), pre-windows dos operated computers, to the first huge mobile telephones (required shoulder bag)....online Prodigy Bulletin Boards (pre-internet).....anywho...just a junky, don't mind me.

Shoot...being a cashier used to be a skilled trade that paid good, when you had to key in all the prices on the the register...now...they're an endangered species, I scan my own groceries through an unmanned register.

Do I think all this technology is a great thing??? Not necessarily...but, I am facinated by it.

Sorry for the rambling....the short answer to your question. GPS, especially one that takes into consideration the things truckers need to think about when driving, ie. hazmat routing, low clearances, bridge weight limitations etc is a helpful tool that makes life easier when covering more than just the local area you live in...ie all 48 states and all provinces in Canada.

Last edited:

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
We have a TomTom One, had it for a few years now, pretty good overall but mind you in the past 2 years we have had it, we have had to ship it back I think twice now and have it replaced... With that being said even though it sucks having to do that and more than once, TomTom is has very good service when having to ship back because of a problem with it. We have never had a problem with them not excepting it back and replacing it..

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
What do you all use a GPS for?? I have navigation on my blackberry and use it to find addresses but can't imagine what else I would need it for.

For driving. I've got Google maps on my phone, but it's nothing like the GPS in my car. I can ask it for nearby restaurants, for instance, or enter an address I find on Google maps, and it tells me (verbally) how to get there. It's like having a human navigator on demand. I can't (safely) drive and futz with the phone. The GPS just sits up there and tells me when to change lanes, when a turn is coming up, what the names of streets are, etc.

It also finds shortcuts. For instance, I used to drive to work along a route picked out by Google maps, but when I asked Nuvi Garmin how to get there, she told me a different way. It's more miles, but fewer traffic lights and higher posted speed limits. Then there are all the times I'm in some unfamiliar part of town and need to know the fastest route to something.

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
I guess that would make sense. I figured most new phones have navigation so I couldn't see needing a stand alone GPS.

With all my rambling in the previous post figured I'd extract the important stuff...

....the short answer to your question. GPS, especially one that takes into consideration the things truckers need to think about when driving, ie. hazmat routing, low clearances that a tractor trailer can't get under, bridge weight limitations etc is a helpful tool that makes life easier when covering more than just the local area you live in...ie all 48 states and all provinces in Canada.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
With all my rambling in the previous post figured I'd extract the important stuff...

....the short answer to your question. GPS, especially one that takes into consideration the things truckers need to think about when driving, ie. hazmat routing, low clearances that a tractor trailer can't get under, bridge weight limitations etc is a helpful tool that makes life easier when covering more than just the local area you live in...ie all 48 states and all provinces in Canada.

dunno if you've seen these..
http://www.gps-planet.com/truckgps.html .

I would personally go with a touchscreen toughbook if iwas a long haul trucker.

with my pda and a blue tooth gps puck..

offroading, hiking, mtn biking.
golf yardages.
live traffic maps/cameras.
street view with turn by turn directions.
finding food, booze, gas, massage parlors ect.
getting look angles for setting up 2-way satellite internet.
checking property lines.
checking elevations for irrigation.
remembering where i buried my bones.:rolleyes:

and a bunch of other stuff i cant think of now.

Last edited: