Goodbye Gruden!

TSSJimmyCoN

Oct 13, 2008
Chitown
www.tss-radio.com
looks like chucky got the boot. It's crazy seeing a new generation of coaches beginning to emerge as the majority in the NFL and the old familiar faces (minus a few like Coughlin,Belichek,Norv Turner??? ETC) either getting fired or retiring.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Remember the days when 7-9 was considered a good season in Tampa? :right:

Who do they think they will get that's better than Gruden?
He won a Super Bowl with the Bucs, and actually left the Raiders with a 40-28 record!

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
ESPN NEWS now has the press conference on.

What a positive guy.
Gruden will land on his feet. He's a great coach. Tampa Bay wasn't that talented this year and they were 9-7 and would have made the playoffs if their lack of talent hadn't took over in December. I don't see any good fits for him for next year though. He'll probably do a "Cowher" and do TV for a year or something.

RoadRunner

Oct 13, 2008
Too bad the Broncos didn't wait...we have a good history with guys who have grudges against Al Davis (aka The Cryptkeeper).

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Gruden made the mistake of peaking too early in Tampa. He won the Super Bowl his first year on the job and hasn't really done much since as far as postseasons go (2 appearances, no wins). And whether it's fair or not, many people knock Gruden's Super Bowl, saying he won it with Tony Dungy's players.

I really can't blame them for firing Gruden; I think everyone considers him a good coach, but sometimes a change in culture can help. Kind of the same situation as Denver with Shanahan's departure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gruden eventually land in South Bend, Indiana.

Last edited:

fineware

Nov 8, 2008
Remington, VA
SNY in NY is reporting Gruden is purportedly replacing Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. Of course, he was also supposed to replace Bob Davie and Ty Willingham, so I'm not so sure how valid this rumor is.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Gruden made the mistake of peaking too early in Tampa. He won the Super Bowl his first year on the job and hasn't really done much since as far as postseasons go (2 appearances, no wins). And whether it's fair or not, many people knock Gruden's Super Bowl, saying he won it with Tony Dungy's players.

I really can't blame them for firing Gruden; I think everyone considers him a good coach, but sometimes a change in culture can help. Kind of the same situation as Denver with Shanahan's departure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gruden eventually land in South Bend, Indiana.

That was a strange Super Bowl. Gruden was playing with Tony Dungy's team and Bill Callahan for the Raiders was playing with Gruden's team and system in Oakland. Had Oakland played ANY other team that year they would have killed in the Super Bowl. Instead, they played the guy that had built their team and he knew all the plays and nuances of the offense. Yes, I'm a bitter Raider fan.

IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!! That was our year to win the Super Bowl, the year the Pats won the divisional game in the snow and went on to beat the Rams.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
A Raider fan in Western, PA? How does that happen? That's Steeler country. I'm sure you must be a Bay Area transplant?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!! That was our year to win the Super Bowl, the year the Pats won the divisional game in the snow and went on to beat the Rams.

I agree, it was a fumble, but they let the Patriot get in a position to win the game. Raiders have no one to blame but themselves...:shock:

:)

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
Of course I don't know Gruden personally, but I get a sense of the guy over the years and man has he aged hard. All those 20 hour days will destroy you.

I don't think Jimmy Johnson put that kind of time in or at least he dosen't look like it.

I remember when Gruden was the charming 60 Minutes darling, but he's sort of faded and who knows why. I hope he dosen't work that way anymore and I hope he finds success again.