Good thread about 80s on 8 from XM Fan

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
XMFan.com :: #1 Fan Site of Sirius XM Satellite Radio :: I present your 80's on 8

These guys have it right. There are songs played on the average of more than once a day, whereas other prominent 80s hits (many of them by Black artists) go completely unplayed. I know I've posted this before, I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I know there are tons of alternatives for getting my 80s music fix, but I still don't get it. Why is this particular channel so shallow on the playlist and so poorly programmed, whereas the other decades channels are much better and play a more representative sample of music from their respective decades? In other words, WHY DOES THE 80s HAVE TO SUCK SO BADLY?! I have contacted Sirius XM, and even used a link on XM Fan to request songs to the channel, but all to no avail. It remains unchanged and none of my requests are ever played. I doubt that Liberty will have any effect on the channel either. Simply put, this is one of Sirius XM's WORST-done channels- EVER! Thank goodness we have The Groove to listen to for some of those missing 80s tunes- oh, wait- Sirius subs don't HAVE the Groove!

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
XMFan is a Sh*thole where retards go to converse with other retards. To my knowledge, they have never provided anything useful, or even said something remotely intelligent. Except for this one user, who was kicked off because he was too damn smart for the site, but hey... the site sucks more than going down on Stern.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That whole thread is preposterous. I think I even said so in it.

There are plenty of white artists also ignored by the 80s on 8 as well. Its not a racial thing. Personally, I am very glad they don't play Whiney Houston and Janet Jackson (although they did play one of her songs last weekend) but that has nothing to do with the colour of their skin. I am also glad they don't play Barbara Striesand.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Curiously, When we ran Walk the Dog in late 2006, The Big 80's was the single highest rated music channel in the Sirius line-up, according to the votes cast by SBS'ers. Has the playlist gotten more shallow since then, or is that just our perception of it?

Either way, I agree. They could greatly expand the selection of songs and artists.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Curiously, When we ran Walk the Dog in late 2006, The Big 80's was the single highest rated music channel in the Sirius line-up, according to the votes cast by SBS'ers. Has the playlist gotten more shallow since then, or is that just our perception of it?

Either way, I agree. They could greatly expand the selection of songs and artists.

No. Its deeper than the Big 80s but it is considerably shallower than the XM version. It started out as deep as the XM version, became almost as shallow as the Big80s, then has gotten a bit deeper recently.

The reaction, particularly at XMFAN, is due to the fact that those who wanted depth in all the music channels chose XM over Sirius. In the case of the 80s on 8, those listeners are rather upset and vocal about it.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Well, I think 80s on 8 is the absolute WORST 80s channel that I have ever seen...Slacker, AOL, Yahoo, Itunes radio, all of them do a better job with the decade's music. You may not like Whitney Houston, but she was still an important part of the 80s music scene and should be represented on any 80s music channel. The same for Tina Turner and Janet Jackson. I don't necessarily think it's a racial thimg at all- plenty of white artists and songs that were important in the 80s also get little or no airplay on The Little 80s. I still don't get how Sirius XM gets off limiting this channel as they do, and I never will. That's all I'll say about it, because nothing I say matters or will change anything anyway.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is the MTV VJ's they are killing the channel! They themselves are so shallow that they cause the channel to be shallow too. Just my opinion!

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I have the channel as one of my presets but even three years ago, there were things I hated about the channel such as Heidi and her annoying giggle. When she left, I listened a bit more but it's never been a channel that I could listen to for hours. It's always been too hits based and it's good for when scanning the presets in when looking for a song or two to hear.

I never took into account that they were ignoring black bands but then again, I never really listened to any of them to begin with. To me, the channel is no differant than the 50s, 60s, 0r 70s and even the 90s.

I'm sure there are enough channels on XM/Sirius that anyone can be happy.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
There was a stink raised on SBS back in the day (I honestly forget by who) about Sirius having this problem. A lot of the soul channels were cut and replaced with rock channels, which got quite a few upset.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I have to say that the 80s channel seems to be getting ever so gradually better lately- like they are adding a song or two to the playlist each day now. It's still nowhere near the variety it needs to have, but at least thay are taking a little notice of what's being said- maybe- I hope...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I sort of vaguely seeing this gripe before. Maybe this was at the "other" place. Y-A-W-N.

IMHO, they should lose the MTV VJs. They are really so stale. Get a few fast talking puker DJs and make it sound like CHR radio really did in the 80s. Maybe even do a Morning Zoo...remember those?? The jingles sound great, BTW.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I sort of vaguely seeing this gripe before. Maybe this was at the "other" place. Y-A-W-N.

IMHO, they should lose the MTV VJs. They are really so stale. Get a few fast talking puker DJs and make it sound like CHR radio really did in the 80s. Maybe even do a Morning Zoo...remember those?? The jingles sound great, BTW.

Please no Morning Zoos. Those are one thing I do not miss from terrestrial radio.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So are you saying no personality...just a jukebox?

I have nothing against either the Big80s personality or the XM 80s on 8 personality. Both were good. I also don't mind the personality it has now. I just don't think it needs to obtain an 80s FM personality.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
That whole thread is preposterous. I think I even said so in it.

There are plenty of white artists also ignored by the 80s on 8 as well. Its not a racial thing. Personally, I am very glad they don't play Whiney Houston and Janet Jackson (although they did play one of her songs last weekend) but that has nothing to do with the colour of their skin. I am also glad they don't play Barbara Striesand.

Barbra Streisand sings showtunes/standards, not Top 40 hits...A few, maybe, but those were more likely limited to being played on AC stations.

To listen to the 80s on 8, you would think that black artists had NO impact on the scene, other than a few hits from "Purple Rain", "1999" and "Thriller". Both MJ and Prince contributed more than just a few tracks each to popular radio...It's insulting to listeners just how limited that play list is for ALL artists (but especially black and latino artists..). Let the station know how you feel with constructive criticism.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Barbra Streisand sings showtunes/standards, not Top 40 hits...A few, maybe, but those were more likely limited to being played on AC stations.

To listen to the 80s on 8, you would think that black artists had NO impact on the scene, other than a few hits from "Purple Rain", "1999" and "Thriller". Both MJ and Prince contributed more than just a few tracks each to popular radio...It's insulting to listeners just how limited that play list is for ALL artists (but especially black and latino artists..). Let the station know how you feel with constructive criticism.

Barbara had several songs on the Top 10 in the early 80s. Air Supply also had several songs -- both are ignored. I believe both of them are white. To suggest that the station is ignoring "black" artists is absurd. While they definatly have removed some of the HipHop and C-rap, I see this more as a flavour of the station rather than a race thing.

I have heard Janet Jackson (unfortunatly), Ton Loc, Run DMC, Prince, Micheal Jackson off the top of my head actually played on the 80s. I am sure there are more given that I don't actually know the colour of a lot of those artists.

I think the original assertion is completely without merit.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I hear you, but can you really do 80s CHR without it?

This is what I always liked about the way that XM did their decades channels because you simply got the feeling you had gone back in time.

I am not sure about a morning show though, but the station itself certainly could be done in such a way as XM did it to give you the feeling as though you were listening during that time period.

The '80s channel as it is now in my opinion is pretty drab, hearing a bunch of MTV VJ's sharing their experiences and talking about the artist does not give me that feeling.

This is where Sirius XM has an opportunity to shine vs online streaming services or even services like Slacker, where they just play the music and have no real personality whatsoever.

I also think the race thing in regards to the '80s channel is BS! There are plenty artist missing black and white! I didn't realize this until I listen to Slacker. I also didn't realize how much uncensored music was released during the '80s either.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Barbara had several songs on the Top 10 in the early 80s. Air Supply also had several songs -- both are ignored. I believe both of them are white. To suggest that the station is ignoring "black" artists is absurd. While they definatly have removed some of the HipHop and C-rap, I see this more as a flavour of the station rather than a race thing.

I have heard Janet Jackson (unfortunatly), Ton Loc, Run DMC, Prince, Micheal Jackson off the top of my head actually played on the 80s. I am sure there are more given that I don't actually know the colour of a lot of those artists.

I think the original assertion is completely without merit.

Air Supply and Barbra Streisand, for their top ten hits, are considered more in the vein of AC singers and those Top tens were kind of flukes. Air Supply maybe but Sterisand is so showtuney at worst, AC at best (frankly AC stations don't play her much...only the lightest of the light would put something like "Woman In Love" in their Top ten...). Janet Jackson is without a doubt a pop singer. So are the Jets, who had multiple pop hits....Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam. Debarge. This is pop music!

If you like Sterisand and Air Supply, by all means request them but I think hearing pop music aritsts like Janet, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam (who used to get played) has more merit. After all, even before the merger the Big 80s was not this bland. Right after, a lot more R&B and dance pop got played (also, maybe more light AC stuff as well....there was a lot of variety). And than the playlist totally shrunk and over played white rock acts like Bon Jovi and Journey. Hell, the queen of the eighties Madonna doesn't get as much play as she used to! Maybe it isn't as racially basis as I beleive....maybe it's just because I want to hear those aritsts more and they are overwhelming under represented (they are also under represented on other stations...the only time you can hear Lisa Lisa's upbeat hits is on a Top 40 Countdown on the air week!).