Going to the game vs. Staying at home

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Given the choice between staying home and watching your team on TV, or actually attending the game in person, is going to the game still the obvious choice for most of you?

I've been to many, many LSU games (and a few Saints games) over the years, and there's no place I'd rather be than Death Valley on a Saturday Night to watch the Tigers play. The crowd, the atmosphere, the food... nothing compares.

Of course, you also have to travel to get there, fight for parking, spend money on tickets and food, deal with unruly fans, get home really late at night... when you could have spent an entire day watching other games until your team played. And watched it with the people of your choice, with your own food, etc.

All that to say... which is your preference?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'm having that dilemma myself.

I have NY Giants season tickets, and while it's only 8 games per year, it's a whole day activity for me. Once you factor in tailgating, etc., I am out the door by 9:00 AM and don't get home until around 6:30 for a 1:00 PM kick.

With other things to do (kids, wife, etc.) it gets harder and harder to carve out the time. And, what's better than drinking your own beer in front of your HDTV??

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'd still rather go to the game.

Granted I'm a baseball fan, and it's pretty slow to watch on TV. So I don't.

I only make it to one maybe two college football games a year. I probably only watch 2 or 3 football games on TV a year too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I was over at my mom's this weekend and we had the Astros game on in the background (on her 50'' flat-screen). She asked why anyone would actually go to the games anymore when you can just watch it in HD. I told her no matter how much technology advances, it'll never be able to replace going to a sporting event in person. You can't beat it, in my opinion...especially college football games. The atmosphere on Saturdays at the stadium is second-to-none.

The best was when I was a freshman in college living on-campus. We could just walk to the stadium without having to worry about parking, traffic, and all that mess. Plus as a student at TX Tech, we got in to games for free (first-come, first-serve). So money wasn't a problem either (thanks Mom & Dad!).

So to sum up, I'd MUCH rather go to the game than watch it on TV.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I can see going to a few games a year, baseball is one of those sports you pretty much have to be there to enjoy it. Although most sports are pricing themselves out of the family experience. Even if you have DirecTV and subscribe to all four sports packages, it's still cheaper and easier to stay home and watch it on TV. I usually sit at home in front of the TV and laugh at the drunks at the stands as opposed to having to suffer them at the game.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Highway robbery, I tell you. And people will pay it. :banghead:

Sad commentary, but the $90 one spends for a pizza at a Cowboys game could probably feed a family in Africa for a year.

Not to mention that they are selling enough standing room only tickets so that people will be 6 deep at the railings.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I have season tickets to the Eagles and go to all but one or two a year. If I didn't have season tickets (and AMAZING seats) I would rather stay at home. It is nice when they are away because I can actually watch other games.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
yeah, no brainer for me. i'd rather stay at home than go to the game. why?

1. i'm not a people person, especially in large groups around me. i would rather focus on the game than the people around me. i never go to the sports bars and restaurants when my team is playing. plus i'm the quietest die-hard fan you will ever meet.

2. i like seeing the replays of stuff that just happened, especially the controvercial stuff that most stadiums show once if at all.

3. i like hearing the play-by-play and color guys, especially for my team. they make up about as much of the experience as the game itself. while it's not that bad for outdoor games, inside the arenas my experience has been that the am radio signal doesn't get through. then again, my team plays in a 56 year old basketball palace called freedom hall (moving to a new arena next year) so i guess that may have something to do with no radio signals getting in.

4. most importantly, FREE is better than paying for seats in the upper bowl, even if every seat has great sightlines.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Depends on the sport.

1. Baseball--go to the game--hands down. I love baseball but on tv it can be a bit slow, especially if it is before the all star break.

2. Football--STAY HOME. I've been to some great football games and I even got bored at those. Now I don't even bother. FOOTBALL is better on TV.

These are the only two sports I really watch.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I like to go to 1 football (Argos) game / year and sometimes watch others on TV.

I like to go to about 3 or 4 or 5 Jays game (depending on how much I think they are sucking at any given point). I will watch others on TV.

Leafs are out of my price range. Will watch some on TV.

Who cares about the Raptors/NBA?

I have never been to a Bills or other NFL game. I would see that as a 1ce in a while game. Watch a lot of NFL on TV.

Generally, the game has great atmosphere to make a fool of yourself in public. But the TV is a more enjoyable way to watch the sport.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Baseball = Go to game / although this is close to listening to the game on the radio

Hockey = Go to game

College Football = Go to game

NFL Football = Watch on TV or listen on the radio

High School Football = I LOVE going to the games. You can't beat the $5 price tag. I even go to the road games. :cool:

NBA Basketball = I really got into listening to the games on the XM radio this year.

College Basketball = Go to game

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Heading out for the final round of the Houston Open. Attending a PGA event is second on my list only to a football game. I enjoy it because it's an active experience as a patron. I like picking out one group and following them for the whole 18 holes...today it will be Justin Leonard (local guy) and Lee Westwood.

Hopefully the beers aren't too expensive :eek:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
A NASCAR race is always better in-person. Never been to a football game in person, but I'd like to go at least once. Baseball on the other hand is always better at home.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
going to the game is always the best option, no matter what game or what sport!

the only drawback is the price. between tickets, parking, beer, and food you can easily drop like 500.

but then again, you can get a panthers or marlins tix down here for like only 5 or 10 bucks from a scalper, making it totally worth it.

i cant think of any major sport i would rather watch on tv than be at the
game.

football is the best! i love those philly crowds. and i love going to a game when its like 10 degrees out. makes ya feel like a good fan. or 12th man.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
football is the best! i love those philly crowds. and i love going to a game when its like 10 degrees out. makes ya feel like a good fan. or 12th man.

The best part of that stadium is that there really isn't a bad seat. I don't care where you sit you have a great view. My seats are in the lower section but I often walk to the top just to see a different view. I've seen some of the game from every top section and have yet to see a bad view. Honestly, you have better views up top than 2nd row on the 25.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm stoked for baseball season! At the game is really the best. Sit me outside with a hot dog and some cold beer and I'm as happy as a clam. I'm on a first name basis with my beer guy. He spotted me at the grocery store last winter. Called my name out across the store. It brought a tear to my eyes. . . .

I've got tickets to the Mud Hens opener this Thursday, and am spending a big chunk of time in Cleveland again in April. Hoping to get my work done early enough to make it to an Indians game. We're also staying near the Captains minor league ball park, so I should be able to hit one of those games too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Baseball on the other hand is always better at home.

Wow, really? To me, baseball is the one sport that TV doesn't do justice. With football and basketball, the game fits the screen so well. But with baseball, you're basically locked into the pitcher/batter and you miss so many things going on behind them, whether it's a runner leading off, the 2B or SS holding the runner on, defensive positioning, etc. And nothing beats a dog and a beer at the ballpark listening to the crack of the bat. Plus all of these new stadiums are so amazing. I'm sure the Astros will be terrible this season, but I still plan on going to 5-10 games just to enjoy Minute Maid.

Heading out for the final round of the Houston Open. Attending a PGA event is second on my list only to a football game. I enjoy it because it's an active experience as a patron. I like picking out one group and following them for the whole 18 holes...today it will be Justin Leonard (local guy) and Lee Westwood.

Hopefully the beers aren't too expensive :eek:

Great time today...it ended up going into a sudden death playoff which was pretty exciting. We probably spended a little too much on beer, but it was worth it :cool: