God Bless the Device Recovery!!!

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Well about a month ago my sl2 started shutting down ALL THE TIME. i would have it on for like 2 mins and it would turn itself off and reboot when i tried to power it up. i got all down about it. i use my sl2 everyday. without it my work days suck. so do drives in the car. i have done the recovery before for other issues but i thought that i was having an issue with the battery or something like that. i record stern everyday. i was forced to listen online and deal with the commercials. not cool.

today i had some time before work so i thought i would give the device recovery a try...as a last resort. i was not expecting much. well, since the recovery all has been well, so far, knock on wood. i have been listening since 430pm and its now about 730 and i have yet to have a random shutdown.

having stern back at work makes my week! and the device recovery is a breeze. i just hope things stay the way they are right now!

-jhdk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The most common corruption is in the recording memory. But I have had presets corrupted and it sounds like you had some of the core OS corrupted. The SL2 would be a worthless hunk of junk without the Device Recovery feature.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
The most common corruption is in the recording memory. But I have had presets corrupted and it sounds like you had some of the core OS corrupted. The SL2 would be a worthless hunk of junk without the Device Recovery feature.
+

same with the sl100. I wonder how many users out there don't know about it though, and just give up on the unit. I do it once every 3 months

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
+

same with the sl100. I wonder how many users out there don't know about it though, and just give up on the unit. I do it once every 3 months

I've been lucky enough to never have to do this with my SL100. It's been rock solid, knock on wood.

If and when it happens, I am going to cry because I've accumulated a very nice collection of loved songs that I really enjoy. People actually ask me to bring my stiletto to parties to provide the music.

That will be a sad day for me. I really wish someone could figure out a hack to get my recordings backed up somehow. I don't even care to be able to unencrypt them or convert to MP3. Just back it up so I can copy them back to the device after a recovery. That shouldn't violate any RIAA laws or anything.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I have been real lucky recently. I haven't had to do a device recovery in 5 months and I am a higher than average recorder. I do love the device recovery though. It has helped a ton of customers.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I've only had to run it once.

The only problem was that when the SL2 froze on me I was 5 hours away from home. That was a long car ride.

I called Sirius and complained A LOT after that one.

But I agree, device recovery is good.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I've been lucky enough to never have to do this with my SL100. It's been rock solid, knock on wood.

not me. so far this morning it has locked up once, and reset itself 2 times. looks like i will have to do a device recovery tonight.

to get your songs off, just use audacity.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
not me. so far this morning it has locked up once, and reset itself 2 times. looks like i will have to do a device recovery tonight.

to get your songs off, just use audacity.

I don't know what audacitity is, but I will make a few assumptions about it (correct me if I am wrong):
I will likely have to play all 10 hours of loved songs. No way to copy them from teh device.
If I play all 10 hours, audacity probably won't split up the recordings to hundreds of single songs. Likely be a huge MP3.
Audacity probably can't get the artist/title information.
Copying my songs back to the recovered stiletto would take up my MP3 space, leaving no room for my personal MP3s which already fill all available MP3 memory.

I just wish I could transfer what's on it now, do a device recovery, and put back on.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
II will likely have to play all 10 hours of loved songs. No way to copy them from teh device.

yes.

If I play all 10 hours, audacity probably won't split up the recordings to hundreds of single songs. Likely be a huge MP3.

no, copy them individually

Audacity probably can't get the artist/title information.

When you make the MP3, just type that in yourself

I Copying my songs back to the recovered stiletto would take up my MP3 space, leaving no room for my personal MP3s which already fill all available MP3 memory.

yup.

There is no easy way that i know of.

On a side note, I think my stiletto is f*cked. Last night it AUTOMATICALLY went into device recovery, I did it, and it was working fine. This morning it went back into it, and now I have to wait till lunch to do the device recovery again. :(

Its a love hate relationship, right now I am on full blown hate.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
On a side note, I think my stiletto is f*cked. Last night it AUTOMATICALLY went into device recovery, I did it, and it was working fine. This morning it went back into it, and now I have to wait till lunch to do the device recovery again. :(

Its a love hate relationship, right now I am on full blown hate.

That would indicate that something is probably corrupting your memory at a hardware level. Unfortunatly, I agree with your assessment although hardware failures can sometimes come and go at least for a while.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have had an issue since about 5 weeks ago where my little dots would not show up at startup. Not a big deal but strange. I have also had a growing collection of recordings which I could not delete. I did a device recovery in advance of a road trip where my SL2 will be needed and low and behold my dots are back. This is much more than a recording memory corruption issue. Fortunatly the device recovery does work wonders.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
These guys really need to focus on this!

Since the beginning, my S50 has been problematic, and although they have improved the firmware, and, granted, it's become a lot better, it still has major issues from time to time.

Still, every 2 months or so I have to use the S50's 3-finger reset deal; connecting to a PC, reinstalling a new OS, firmware, etc. And then any problem is GONE (and it's perfect for a couple months until something else develops). I can't imagine people dealing with that.

When Howard moved to satellite, my brother got several (older) family members Sirius radios and a subscription (and he installed it in their cars). For years now, NONE of them listen to satellite radio. The radios literally ended up in the kitchen "junk drawer".

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Happened to me for the first time two days ago. Live sucks without my Stiletto. I had to look up the instructions and things went fine. I didn't have much in the library so after resetting the time zone and my presets things were back to normal. I was guilty of leaving it on the charger nightly to record programs to listen to the next day while working. I shudder to think how I'd be without device recovery.

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009
I'm gonna have to do another reset and erase. I have to do it about every three months or so. I'm not going to love/rec invidual songs anymore either, cause it seems to make things worse for some reason.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm gonna have to do another reset and erase. I have to do it about every three months or so. I'm not going to love/rec invidual songs anymore either, cause it seems to make things worse for some reason.

I never bother with the reset+erase since a device recovery does exactly the same thing and refreshes the OS too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I thought that's what ya'll were talking about. How do I do a device recovery?

Download the device recovery software from sirius.com on your PC.
You shutdown your unit (not just goto sleep).
While powering it on, hold down the options and display buttons until you get a "Error Message". Then connect your unit via USB.
Follow onscreen instructions.
Wait for your unit to complete its stuff and do a reboot.
It will look like a new radio. Once it receives a signal for a minute or 2 all the channels return.

Just remember to keep the thing connected until it does its reboot.