Go Titans

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
fat-steelers-fan.jpg

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Great game last night. Can't ask for a better way to kickoff the season than with an overtime game.

goreds...very nice win. The Steeler defense drops from great to good without Polamalu though.

blyons...Tennessee looked really good even though they lost, so I wouldn't be too down today if I was a Titan fan. I am looking forward to the game next week...I think you guys might beat us pretty good.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Great game last night. Can't ask for a better way to kickoff the season than with an overtime game.

goreds...very nice win. The Steeler defense drops from great to good without Polamalu though.

blyons...Tennessee looked really good even though they lost, so I wouldn't be too down today if I was a Titan fan. I am looking forward to the game next week...I think you guys might beat us pretty good.

I'm not too down. It always sucks to lose, but hey, the Stealers won the Super Bowl after we put a beat down on 'em last season. I just hope that loss doesn't hang over the Titans heads next week, that was big game. I guess we'll see next week how good the Texans are.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'm a AFC South fan (except for Jacksonville).

I've followed the Texans since the beginning. And it's been a real struggle to see the same things year after year. I had real high hopes when they got Matt. But every year he gets hurt. My fear for the Texans is that they have gotten used to losing. When that happens it can be hard to overcome that mindset. Look at the rebuilding-since-1957 Detroit Lions.

Even though the Titans lost they looked better on defense than what I saw when they played Dallas. I'm concerned about that offense now. But they have GOT to put this loss behind them or they will be in real trouble. Their season isn't going to be easy. Even if they were to make the playoffs they'll be so beat up.

But what a game to kick-off the season!!!

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I've followed the Texans since the beginning. And it's been a real struggle to see the same things year after year. I had real high hopes when they got Matt. But every year he gets hurt. My fear for the Texans is that they have gotten used to losing. When that happens it can be hard to overcome that mindset. Look at the rebuilding-since-1957 Detroit Lions.

This is the year the Texans HAVE TO take that next step. They must get to at least 10 wins and compete for a playoff spot, or Kubiak is going to find himself squarely on the hot seat.

You're right about Schaub...or "Matty Glass Jaw" as he's known around here. The guy is a nice QB when he's out there, but you can almost guarantee he'll miss five starts a season due to injury. And he already tweaked his ankle in the preseason, so who knows how early he'll break this year.

The last time Houston was expected to take that next step and compete for the playoffs, they were coming off a 7-9 season in 2004. Well they went 2-14 the next year. Hopefully 2009 turns out a bit better.

For a city that loves football so much, it sucks that we haven't seen the NFL Playoffs in 16 years.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Kubiak is going to find himself squarely on the hot seat.

I agree but I don't totally fault him. I fault the drafting and front office. They have GOT to be smarter in their drafting and they need to keep their eye out for a QB. This next year there's going to be some big QB's coming up. I don't know of any out there now, but if they could bring in a big time vet to put pressure on Matt that would be good. This whole thing with Matt getting hurt brings the whole team down.

On the coach side...there's some BIG ex-coaches floating aroung out there. I might take a look at that.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I agree but I don't totally fault him. I fault the drafting and front office. They have GOT to be smarter in their drafting and they need to keep their eye out for a QB. This next year there's going to be some big QB's coming up.

I disagree...the draft has not been a problem. Houston has drafted VERY well in the Kubiak era.

In 2006, they got three Pro-Bowlers in Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Owen Daniels (Mario was 1st Team All-Pro last year). Eric Winston is a very good O-lineman as well.

2007 they got Amobi Okoye, who hasn't been very impressive so far...but he's still only 22 years old. Also stole Zac Diles in the 7th round

2008 they got Steve Slaton in the 3rd round. Their first round pick Duane Brown is a good O-lineman and still improving.

Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin from this year's draft look to be nice additions to the defense, but we'll see.

If Schaub can't stay healthy this year, I agree with you that they should look for a QB in the upcoming draft.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
You make good points on the draft...I don't deny they picked a few good players. But it hasn't meant Wins. I was SO glad when they got rid of Casserly.

They need to pick up a QB regardless of what Matt does.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
You make good points on the draft...I don't deny they picked a few good players. But it hasn't meant Wins. I was SO glad when they got rid of Casserly.

The problem under the Kubiak regime has been the free agent signings. They gave Anthony Weaver 5 years, $26.5 million...he gave the Texans ONE sack in three years.

They gave Dan Orlovsky - who sucked in Detroit, mind you - THREE YEARS, $9.5 MILLION to come in and be the back-up!!! He's now their third-string QB behind Rex Grossman.

For some reason they signed a 30-year old Ahman Green in 2007...he didn't do a damn thing in Houston.

They gave Antonio Smith 5 years, $35 million this previous offseason to come over from the Cardinals. So far he's been far less than impressive on the Texan D-line.

Those are just 4 examples...

The other problem, and probably the main problem with the Texans, is they're SOFT. And that's probably the worst thing you can call a football team, but that's the way I see it. The only "junkyard dog" so to speak I see on their roster is DeMeco Ryans. He's an NFL football player. But even Mario Williams takes a few plays off every game. Matt Schaub...don't even ask. You hit him early in the game and he goes into a shell the rest of the way.

I just don't think Kubiak brings the kind of intensity you need to win in the NFL. The thing that makes Pittsburgh so great is the fire they play with. I don't see that coming from the Texans.

Under Dom Capers, they were talentless and stupid. Under Kubiak, they have talent but they're soft. I hear Bill Cowher is available...

And yes, Casserly was and is an idiot. His claim to fame on that CBS pregame show is the drafting of Mario Williams, when in reality, he didn't have anything to do with it!

They need to pick up a QB regardless of what Matt does.

Well "regardless" is a strong word. If Schaub leads them to the playoffs this year, I don't think the Texans will be looking for a new QB. Slim chance of that happening though...

Besides, I don't see any star QB's coming out in 2010. Bradford scares me because of the offense he runs at Oklahoma. I don't think Tebow or McCoy will translate to the NFL. I think Jevan Snead might be the best QB prospect next year, but I'm hesitant with him as well.

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I just don't think Kubiak brings the kind of intensity you need to win in the NFL. The thing that makes Pittsburgh so great is the fire they play with. I don't see that coming from the Texans.

Here's something interesting I just read to sort of back that up...

The Jets got an inspirational pre-game speech from their head coach. He had his team prepared to play, then got it emotionally ready as well.

I asked a Texan about Kubiak's pre-game speech, and the player shook his head and laughed.