Gilbert Gottfried's appearance today and the banning of the "N" word

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I've said a couple of times that after the merger something went down where Sirius agreed to certain new rules.

The N word and the word "fag" being one of them.

Turns out today when Gilbert said "nigger" they edited it out of the replay.

What the fuck happened? Even Artie who used the word "fag" constantly was censored in the last year or so.

I remember one of the stipulations to the merger was certain censorship rules they had to abide by.

What a fucking joke.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
They took away our NIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?!?!?!

That's our best word!

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Honky please.

Seriously though, that's bullshit. And I usually get scoff at people that get pissed that Howard no longer uses that word. If it's ok for Billy West on History of Howard Stern, it should be OK for Gilbert.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
He called the president a nigger.

How is it censorship when Howard pushed the button? It's his show, his rules.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Someone posted it on SFN a while back when the Merger happened.

HOHS can still get away with it because it was grandfathered in.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
As for "fag," Bubba uses it all the time, on FM no less, and rebroadcast on Sirius XM. I think it's low rent to use it as an insult, but there's no reason to censor it.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
King, I think you're really grasping at straws here.

Fag is used on other channels consistently as is nigger, nigga, et. al.

If Howard wants to censor it via his own rules, then so be it but I don't think Sirius|XM is the one imposing the rule here.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
I've read this conspiracy theory a few times post merger and it's just that, a theory. I listened to the west coast feed and it was NOT censored out there. Also, on Fridays Live Bubba show the N word occasionally gets bantered around by Ned. Let's not forget the raw comedy channels where it gets kicked around too. If there was a censoring of that bit later in the day then the FCC had nothing to do with it, it was more than likely Howard's call to make.

Last edited:

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
FCC SmeffCCC. There was probably some discussion between Sabean and Howard and they decided to strike that one from the record. The N word is used quite often on the show, usually to comedic effect. The way Gilbert used it today wasn't funny. That's where the line is for Howard, is it humorous or satirical. If not, then it goes. He is the final censor for the show that bears his name.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
As for "fag," Bubba uses it all the time, on FM no less, and rebroadcast on Sirius XM. I think it's low rent to use it as an insult, but there's no reason to censor it.
I agree with you. There should be zero censorship on Satrad. If nigger and fag are banned where does that leave channels like The Foxxhole and Rawdog? Also I have to admit that BOTH words are funny depending on how they're used. I didn't appreciate it when Gilbert referred to the President as nigger but other than that when Gilbert throws it around I laugh, when Daniel Carver uses it I laugh.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Neither of those words are 'banned' from Sirius or the show. Howard and Robin both used "Nigger" this week, I believe. and "Fag" I don't know about replays, since I record and listen later to the live broadcast, but if Howard wants to censor the word "The" He can, it's his rules. I think he's okay to do it in this situation, but in no way does he strike it from the show entirely. it's been used by him and others recently.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I don't pay close enough attention. I just try to be entertained.

EDIT: 2000 posts! :)

Last edited:

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
He called the president a nigger.

How is it censorship when Howard pushed the button? It's his show, his rules.

Do you now know the definition of censorship? If Taylor censors what you say on this forum it is censorship. If Howard dumps a word it is censorship.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Do you now know the definition of censorship? If Taylor censors what you say on this forum it is censorship. If Howard dumps a word it is censorship.
Do you? Censorship usually refers to an action by government. If you want to call what Howard did censorship, you are technically correct (the best kind of correct), but it is not the insidious type of censorship that is practiced by government.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I just finished listening to Gilbert's appearance from 1/13/10 and here are my thoughts:

"It was like a western, like a modern western, like a post-apocalyptic western..." :D

I was in tears from laughing so hard!!! :churn: