Getting a signal in the Southern Caribbean

museman

Nov 8, 2009
Trinidad and Tobago
I have been a Sirius subscriber since 2004. I recently relocated from the US to Trinidad. I brought my car radio with me and the signal was not strong at all. I want to get a home kit so I can try to listen at home.What type of outdoor antenna should I use to try to get a strong signal?

museman

Nov 8, 2009
Trinidad and Tobago
I have not tried for a couple of months to get the signal. I gave away my radio and I just listen online. I will try the antenna. I'll buy a used radio on ebay and I'll see if that works. Any radio in particular I should look at?

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
the radio should make no difference in signal reception. TSS migth have some openbox or part outs as you would not need the stock antenna-

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The new satellite, while geostationary, does not focus its beam on the Caribbean. Most of the beam is aimed at the northeast and west coast, but it does cover the full CONUS, Canada and a good part of Mexico. Based on the map I am seeing, some of the Caribbean does get some coverage, but it's not all that strong.

mirxtrail

Oct 17, 2008
The new satellite, while geostationary, does not focus its beam on the Caribbean. Most of the beam is aimed at the northeast and west coast, but it does cover the full CONUS, Canada and a good part of Mexico. Based on the map I am seeing, some of the Caribbean does get some coverage, but it's not all that strong.

Signal's moved from one to two bars here in the northern Caribbean since the new geostationary sat was activated, resulting in far fewer or no dropouts.

From what I've seen on the coverage map, Trinidad's location puts it outside of the satellite footprint, resulting in spotty or no reception. Perhaps a Sportster or Stratus series radio connected to the Sirius Outdoor Home antenna may help, though it looks rather challenging.