Fuel Injection coming to NASCAR?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Two words..... Mike Mulhern - So read this with a grain of salt.....

Perhaps in 2010?
When NASCAR Sprint Cup director John Darby, a few weeks ago, raised the issue of 'fuel injected' racing engines in NASCAR, it raised eyebrows.
NASCAR Cup engines are some of the most technically advanced engines in racing, except for the antique carburetors. Every other major form of racing, even ASA, uses fuel injected engines. And when was the last time anyone saw a carburetor atop a street car engine, after all.
But NASCAR has long shied away from things electronically complicated like electronic fuel injection, for fear – with goodly reason – that the mechanical wizards on these racing teams might figure out a way to put some tricks in that electronic box.
Now however NASCAR officials are raising the issue to team owners of fuel injected engines – possibly in the Truck series as soon as next season, according to one scenario – and asking how owners think NASCAR ought to police it.
That's just one of numerous issues NASCAR and team owners discussed in a major session earlier this month, to consider where this sport ought to be five years from now.
Why fuel injection now?
One, to improve NASCAR's image and make the sport look more high-tech, and more up-to-date with what Detroit really puts out on the street for real people.
Two, to use it as another item in a line of 'green' initiatives, again for public perception.
And perhaps three, to entice other car makers – read Honda and Volkswagen – into this sport.
"We think fuel injection is just the right way to go in NASCAR," Pat Suhy, Chevrolet's NASCAR field director, says.
"And it wouldn't be that difficult. Every other top racing series uses fuel injection. We could put something together in about a week – depending on how simple or complex you wanted to do it – and then test it for two months or so, and be ready to go."

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
So apparently there may be substance to Mulher's story. :scratch: Please explain to me why this is such a big deal to have the cars be fuel injected rather than the normally aspirated engine. What difference can this possibly make as far as you/me watching a race?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
So apparently there may be substance to Mulher's story. :scratch: Please explain to me why this is such a big deal to have the cars be fuel injected rather than the normally aspirated engine. What difference can this possibly make as far as you/me watching a race?

I think to us it won't make a differance but apparently the cars will get better fuel milage which these days means something. Even on the race track.
My only worry is that in almost every article I've read someone has said that fuel injection will make it MUCH easier to cheat.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I think to us it won't make a differance but apparently the cars will get better fuel milage which these days means something. Even on the race track.
My only worry is that in almost every article I've read someone has said that fuel injection will make it MUCH easier to cheat.

OK, so they are going to get better fuel mileage but that will basically be a wash, right? I mean some teams will figure out how to save more than others but that's the same thing that we have right now. About the only thing that we may notice is possibly fewer pit stops @ one track or another.

I'd bet that if you get caught cheating on a fuel injection issue, you'll be talking some serious, 'Carl Long +', type fines.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'd bet that if you get caught cheating on a fuel injection issue, you'll be talking some serious, 'Carl Long +', type fines.

Thats what they'll have to do to keep a lid on rampant cheating.
As for the mileage. You're right its not going to matter much on the track. My only guess is its a PR move? Or Brian France just likes to change things for the sake of changing them? Naaaa....that couldn't be it. ;)

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
OK, so I am sloooow on the uptake this morning. No carb, no plate. Certainly restriction of some type though! :scratch:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
NaSCAR would be able to program the injector to keep speeds under 200mph :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I can hear it now...... NASCAR programmed Jr's car so that he had more horsepower than kyle and that's the only reason he won! :Smiley_wink: That's assuming that my driver ever gets back to victory lane again. :jj:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Bill Elliott went something like 7yrs between victories :shock:

Your boy will pick it up. I bet he wins twice before the end of the year :)
Posted via Mobile Device

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
There has been talk for years that Jr. had been given a larger restrictor plate from NaSCAR. How do you think he won that 2001 Pepsi 400? :shock:

I am all in favor of fuel injection. The next thing they need to do is make all the car automatics & front wheel drives :hhh:
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Seats made of "Soft Corinthian Leather" :right:
Posted via Mobile Device

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnZdMeEfG1Y&feature=PlayList&p=44F7448021BA5931&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3]YouTube - Ricardo Montalbán: Corinthian Leather[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc&feature=PlayList&p=44F7448021BA5931&index=4&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL[/ame]

Reactions: semipenguin