1. Hectic Art has been promoted to Admin. See the thread in the News section.

Freaking hypocrites...

Discussion in 'HD (Terrestrial) Radio' started by kryptonite, Dec 2, 2009.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

I'll put this in here, just because it seems to fit best.
    iPod A Day Until Christmas!

So first of all, what the hell is Apple doing putting FM radio on their iPods? So people can take their iPods to local sporting events so they can listen to play-by-play commentary?

That's even being beat out now. At least one company is selling a "play-by-play radio" advertised as "With no delay." I've never understood how people could listen to a 7-10 second delay while at the stadium.

The other obvious reason why Apple included a FM radio is so that they'd perhaps be given away on some FM radio stations as some sort of "new walkman-style FM radio." Yet, do they REALLY think people would listen to FM radio over mp3's? Really?

I can practically guaran-damn-tee it that it'll be a cold day in hell before they gave away a Slacker, XMP3, or a SL2. They're too busy censoring the word "satellite" from Boom Boom Pow. :rolleyes:
  2. Chob

Chob New Member

There was some sort of accessory to listen to FM a few generations ago I remember.
  3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

It was a plug-in to the bottom of the iPod to listen to FM Radio on the device itself. I did hear also, that they're developing an FM Radio app for the iPhone/iPod Touch that you can listen to your local FM stations. I listen to the public radio stations, and that's pretty much it. And there's already an app for that.
  4. digital100

digital100 New Member

I had one of those FM attachments. It was really useful when I go to the gym where they have TVs with the audio playing through FM signals. I could watch ESPN Sport Center and hear the audio while working out. I was disappointed that the attachment does not work on the Itouch. I hope they come out with an FM app for the Itouch.

I downloaded the IHeartMusic (ClearChannel) app onto my Blackberry, but I don't think I will use it very often.
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

The Clear Channel app is good for the few good stations they have left, which are KFI in Los Angeles and WLW in Cincinnati. That's pretty much the only reason to keep it. They are starting to add Traffic in select cities, but Denver doesn't have it yet. L.A., Miami and New York do.
  6. xan_user

xan_user Banned

why dont they just "have and app for that"?:confused:
  7. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

2 words: "iTunes Tagging"

Apple - iTunes - Partner with iTunes - iTunes Tagging
  8. xan_user

xan_user Banned

There's a rather big false assumption with that business plan... It depends entirely on radio stations actually playing songs people would really want to buy. :rofl2:
    jef likes this.
  9. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Very good point!
  10. xan_user

xan_user Banned

WTF do they teach these goofballs in business school?

Id want my tuition back!
  11. ctkatz

ctkatz Member

i will be interested in an ipod with a radio if it comes with an AM antenna. i haven't listened to fm radio in years, mainly because the music's crap and its all basically music that the music industry is telling me i should be listening to.
  12. xan_user

xan_user Banned

Sorry apple doesn't do AM. Far to many ugly cigarette smokers still listen to AM;). (not that you fit that demographic, of course.)

13. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

A majority of people buying iPods are doing so because FM sucks, or they never listened to it in the first place. Ask your average college student (or anyone under 25 nowadays) what their favorite local radio station is, and they'll be hard pressed to come up with an answer. I had a list of 5-6 I turned to regularly when radio in Denver was still halfway decent. Now I can't name one I consistently listen to by choice (my folks like the Country station.)
  14. kryptonite

It just smells like the RIAA is in kahoots with the NAB...again.
  15. kryptonite

Exactly.

A number of you probably remember the state of FM radio between 2005-2006. Howard was getting ready to move to satellite. FM radio was freaking out. Someone (I think the religious right) wanted the FCC to regulate satellite radio, etc.

Yet, the National Association of Broadcasters seems to have ZERO problem with an adapter to plug your iPod into your car. They seem to have no problems with iPods.

WTF? :clueless:

(Ok, I have an iPod, but still, the hypocrisy is disgusting.)