Fox Sports chief: 'Digger' not to blame for NASCAR ratings dip

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Theyre discussing it on Dialed In right now with head of Nascar Shills Ramsey Poston. I dont think Digger itself is responsible for a ratings drop, but more the image he portrays. The image that, we as Nascar fans, would get all excited and happy as an 8 year old over this cartoon garbage is what people resent. Its more of an indication to just SHOW THE DAMN RACE™. Enough of this Hollywood Hotel, Digger, DWstore.com, Boogity Boogity Boogity, FoxSports Neanderthal Nonsense™

David Hill is completely out to lunch if he actually believes this. ""It was because of Digger that people were turning off in droves because they couldn't stand it," Hill said. "I said, 'I'm so sorry. If I'd known, I never would have created him. I didn't realize how insidious he was.'

"It's the biggest crock of (stuff) I've ever heard."

I remember one David Poole telling him it was a crock. And I dont by for a second that Fox doesnt know this because you can tell theyve toned it down 150 times now from where they were at Vegas and California.

Nascar grew on TV by focusing on the drivers, the racing, the competition. They should stick to that.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Well we'll see how the rating are for the rest of the season, but I honestly don't think Digger's the reason...:rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
I dont care for him, but it aint the sole reason for the drop in my opinion. I think everything has cycles where it grows and shrinks back and forth over time.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
My top reasons for the drop in ratings. Feel free to agree/disagree/post your own list.

1. Jr. having a bad season
2. 3 years of Jimmie Johnson
3. Digger, DW and boogity boogity
4. Nascar's non disclosure of the Mayfield issue.
5. The irregular start times of the races
6. Repeating the same commercial too many times per race.
7. The dilution of the way fans get to watch/listen/download/tivo/dvr races

I could think of more, but would rather see others reasons.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Dale Earnhardt only won 5 races in 3 years and then died, and the sport still grew. If Dale Jr. struggling is their crutch for why ratings have dropped, thats a huge leap and quite frankly a lie.

The #1 reason is the competition stinks. Its somewhat predictable, there are less drivers winning, less teams winning, less variety of personalities getting all the attention. So I suppose that falls into your Jimmie Johnson winning 3 titles. But if you had 20 different drivers with 12 different organizations winning races nowadays, that would be a non issue. Competitively the sport is stagnant.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats not only your opinion though, I believe a lot of important people in the sport are trying to put that spin on the ratings drop. Its an opinion that historically has been proven wrong. I dont see why 15% of the fan base would leave since last year because he is struggling. Ive given my list, we have a thread on it called "DRC Nascar forum something something"

Snafam

Oct 31, 2008
In the past few years, when I was at tracks with bench seating, I remember starting races jammed in tight with fans. I found that if Jr. wrecked or was having a bad day, the crowd emptied out, and I would have plenty of room. The last time we bought tickets for one of those bench seats, I sat next to an extremely overweight, shirtless, hairy, noisy, snockered Jr. fan....who would jump up every lap and holler JUNIOR, hitting me every single time. I PRAYED Jr would have something other than a wreck, anything to take him out of the race. It happened at TMS, when he wrecked. Thankfully, the fan got up and left, not knowing that JR had climbed into Kyle Busch's car. (After that year, I upgraded my seating...and it is worth every penny!)

Yeah, there is a certain number of Jr fans that will leave a track early if their driver is out. And because of the sheer numbers of the Jr Nation, it does make an impact. So, I do expect that Jr can impact the racing ratings a bit, much like 'the Tiger Woods effect."

And I never really had a problem with Digger, until they started showing videos with Digger's family. That was far more information than i ever needed to know about a rat!

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Yippee I believ your #7 is a lot biger then peopel realize. Ratings for TV is down in all aspects of TV. People don't have TV night when certain show is on anymore. The mentality "hey we can TIVO (insert favorite show or sporting event here) and still go to the movis local baseball game or fair etc etc has a LOT bigger impact then people realize.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I like the constant updates of where to buy Digger merchandise, especially the popup during the race. dwstore.com Nascar.com and foxsports.com

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Back in 2000, I never heard anyone complain about ABC/ESPN's coverage of NASCAR...:shock:

Never a bad word for Bob Jenkins or Benny Parsons.

FOX is all about the Show. Not the content...:worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Today is the first time ive watched the Fox pre race show all year. What garbage. In a 10 minute span they had an interview with Jeff Gordon mixed in with contstant nonsense from Jeff Hammond, DW, and Chris Meyers.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
Today is the first time ive watched the Fox pre race show all year. What garbage. In a 10 minute span they had an interview with Jeff Gordon mixed in with contstant nonsense from Jeff Hammond, DW, and Chris Meyers.

Well, Dex, I guess you won't have to worry about it again until next February!

:ter:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
From Marty Smith's Twitter:

"Uh. Uhhhh. Ummm. I'm normally at the race, so I've never seen Digger before. I'm sort of speechless."

He now knows our pain...

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well, I'm glad the Fox races are over (for the reasons given) but when I look at what poor TNT gets to cover...Pocono, Michigan, Sonoma, Loudon, Chicago, Daytona....I feel sorry for them.

None of those races are really "must-watch" races for me (well, I do like Daytona at night). It's too bad TNT doesn't get a chance to cover Richmond or Bristol.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Well, I'm glad the Fox races are over (for the reasons given) but when I look at what poor TNT gets to cover...Pocono, Michigan, Sonoma, Loudon, Chicago, Daytona....I feel sorry for them.

None of those races are really "must-watch" races for me (well, I do like Daytona at night). It's too bad TNT doesn't get a chance to cover Richmond or Bristol.

I won't watch any of Pocono due to my boycott of Pocono, but Daytona and Sonoma are must-watches:bigthumbup: