Fox analysts

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Just a quick bitch session....

I never look forward to a game of the week on Fox because of the shoddy homework of the color analysts doing the game. McCarver coasts through whatever team he's doing, usually occupying most of his time to an all star caliber player or delving into the minutia of baseball probabilities instead of giving insight to the TWO rosters of players for the game.

Today however, it was ex-Dodger Eric Karros' turn. He's never been all that good to begin with, but he will at least go deeper than McCarver when discussing BOTH teams. He won't provide deep insight necessarily, but you can count on him to talk about BOTH teams. After watching today's Mets/Giants game I am going to revive my thoughts on Karros' ability as a baseball analyst.

His takes were alright, but I would add that his takes were 95% about the New York Mets. It was unbelievable. It didn't matter if the Giants were batting or in the field, he talked non-stop about the Mets.

One funny note: with two outs and two strikes in the bottom of the ninth Karros actually said and I'm not joking...."In getting back to the Mets, I think it's important that they take....".....blah, blah, blah.......You've got to be kidding me...."Get back to the Mets?....YOU NEVER STOPPED TALKING ABOUT THEM."

I get it...they're a good team. I also understand the only reason the Giants were televised nationally is because they were playing the Mets. GET OVER IT. New York...get over yourself...your national broadcasts are a joke.

Do your homework, talk about THE OTHER TEAM for a couple of innings. Any insights?

Didn't think so.

jackoff

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I'm not a fan of Tim McCarver. Haven't for years. He's just plain dull...:worried:

The days of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan are hard to find. Oh well.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not a fan of Tim McCarver. Haven't for years. He's just plain dull...:worried:

Actually Jon Miller will be on tomorrow night. You can hear the right way to do a broadcast, unless A-Rod has another person crawl from under a rock with more accusations. Morgan is good(also an old SF Giant broadcaster), but he can come off a bit condescending. His insight is right on the money and Jon Miller is at or is the top in his field when calling a game. He's actually even better during blowout games, he's very funny and he tells great old baseball stories.

Another thing about Miller when he does ESPN games. You can't tell that he's biased one way or the other. They're the best tandem in baseball...in my opinion.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I'm not a Giants fan, but I love listening to Jon Miller. IMHO, he's the best. John Sterling and Vin Scully are also great. I'm so happy I turned on my XM radio again...:)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I don't like John Sterling, not just because I'm a Red Sox fan either.

Vin Scully should be cloned and put on every broadcast team in the majors.

Wayne Hagin used to be the voice of the Rockies when they first started, I liked him. I also enjoyed Harry Kalas of the Phillies before his unfortunate passing this year.

I wish Costas would call more games (unless he's doing it on MLB Network and I don't know about it because I have DISH).

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Wayne Hagin used to be the voice of the Rockies when they first started, I liked him. I also enjoyed Harry Kalas of the Phillies before his unfortunate passing this year.

Wayne did Giants baseball for a couple of years in the late 80's. I thought he was pretty good, though to me he sounded like a professional game caller, you know...very polished and with an announcer vibe.

You should hear his call of a bench clearing brawl between the Cardinals and the Giants involving Oquendo, Ozzie, Terry Pendelton and Will Clark...you could hear the blood lust in his voice. I think he raised his broadcasting table a couple of inches on that play.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
He always had that for the home runs here, too. I remember a particular game against the Dodgers where it was tied in the bottom of the 9th and Larry Walker hits the game winning home run on the first swing. Swung on and BELTED!!!! SEE YOU LATER!!!!

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
To me the best play by play announcer has to be Marty Brennamen on the radio and his son Thom on the TV, but what gets under my skin is the complete and utter bias shown to about 6 teams shown by the national networks (ie, NY, LA, Chicago, Boston and Philladelphia)

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I don't like John Sterling, not just because I'm a Red Sox fan either.

Vin Scully should be cloned and put on every broadcast team in the majors.

I wish Costas would call more games (unless he's doing it on MLB Network and I don't know about it because I have DISH).

I dont like Sterling either because he is way too far on homerism.

Scully he is the best and it will be a shame when he retires I hope Sprio Dedes replaces him.

And with Costas he is doing games for the MLB Network so far he has called two and he probably will call this Thursday's Chicago Cubs St.Louis Cardinals game. I think he fit pretty well onto the Network which is miles ahead of MLB Home Plate with content.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
To me the best play by play announcer has to be Marty Brennamen on the radio and his son Thom on the TV, but what gets under my skin is the complete and utter bias shown to about 6 teams shown by the national networks (ie, NY, LA, Chicago, Boston and Philladelphia)

I've only heard a very little of Marty, though I would totally back up the love for Thom.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Actually Jon Miller will be on tomorrow night. You can hear the right way to do a broadcast, unless A-Rod has another person crawl from under a rock with more accusations. Morgan is good(also an old SF Giant broadcaster), but he can come off a bit condescending. His insight is right on the money and Jon Miller is at or is the top in his field when calling a game. He's actually even better during blowout games, he's very funny and he tells great old baseball stories.

Another thing about Miller when he does ESPN games. You can't tell that he's biased one way or the other. They're the best tandem in baseball...in my opinion.

Well, I still stand by my statement, though tonight's game has been hard to listen to because of the three innings devoted to Mets leadership qualities. It's like some sort of virus that all television outlets seem to catch. Giants lead 1-0 through five innings and for more than half of the game the topic has been David Wright and Reyes perhaps being traded.

If a game is played on the West Coast, does it count in the overall MLB standings?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Velez has seen three pitches all game after three at bats, yet they still feel the need to talk about the leadership qualities of the Mets.

Matt Cain, the pitcher knocks in a run with a clean single and then goes hard into second base to break up a double play and the commentators talk about....the leadership qualities of the Mets.

Yes, I know...the Mets are a great team. But can you not see that a pitcher just went in hard to break up a double play? Is that not a leadership quality?

If Cain was wearing a NY on his cap we would not be hearing the end of it.

Man, this is irritating.

Come on Jon Miller, speak up!!!!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
If a game is played on the West Coast, does it count in the overall MLB standings?

Nothing counts on the West Coast. Not Baseball. Not Football. Not College Football. Nothing...:worried:

REally sux. Everything West of Denver is never taken seriously...:shock:

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008

McCarver stopped being a good broadcaster when he hooked up with Fox full time. When he was the channel 9 local guy for the Mets, he was great. He provided nice commentary and let the game play out in front of him. Now, I can't stand him. So full of hot air and in love with is own voice. Joe Buck is no better, and seems like he would rather be somewhere else.

I also can't stand Joe Morgan and his pontification on how to play the game and his "insight" into how the game should be played. He comes up with such nonsense about meaningless events in every game and how the player(s) made the wrong choice that its almost funny. Then he drones on for 2 innings about said meaningless event. Just because you are in the HOF does not make you an authority on the right way to play. Jon Miller annoys me because he feels the need to overpronounce every single latino player's name.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
McCarver stopped being a good broadcaster when he hooked up with Fox full time. When he was the channel 9 local guy for the Mets, he was great. He provided nice commentary and let the game play out in front of him. Now, I can't stand him. So full of hot air and in love with is own voice. Joe Buck is no better, and seems like he would rather be somewhere else.

I have the 1988 World Series on DVD. They also have games 4 & 7 of the NLCS with the set. I think it was ABC that did the NLCS and McCarver was one of the commentators.

He was ok then, but you're right. He has gotten worse...:worried: