Formatting SD Micro Card

bsummers12

Oct 13, 2008
Portsmouth, Ohio
I have a 8GB card installed in the SL2. Last Night I wanted to wipe every thing off and redo my tunes. So I formatted the card and now it says I only have 999MB. What can I do to get the 8GB back?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have a 8GB card installed in the SL2. Last Night I wanted to wipe every thing off and redo my tunes. So I formatted the card and now it says I only have 999MB. What can I do to get the 8GB back?

You need to format it as a FAT32. FAT only supports a Gb or 2.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not be stupid but I'm showing my lack of computer skills, how do you do that.

PM if you'd like with the directions.

I've never actually done it. I assume there is an option on the format box which specifies type of filesystem (FAT/FAT32/etc.). I just remember there was a caution and warning about the type of filesystem for the bigger cards.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Do you have a card reader or are you trying to do it in MSS while the Stiletto is plugged in?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The card is installed in the SL2 and I've used both Rhapsody and by going to My Computer and highlighting the SL2 Expansion Card ICON and then Format.

Take the card out of the SL2 and format it that way. Then put it back in. You should never do any complex operation on the card through the SL2.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
There is no reason to format a flash card unless it's to change the filesystem.

Only spinning hard drives need this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Exactly how is that done? It will not fit in a USB port.

You will need an adapter. I have a microSD to USB adapter. I also have a microSD to SD adapter to use with my SD card reader (my computer has this). I never use the later, always the former. The microSD I ordered came with the adapter but I am sure you can get them at RadioShack or online.

bsummers12

Oct 13, 2008
Portsmouth, Ohio
You will need an adapter. I have a microSD to USB adapter. I also have a microSD to SD adapter to use with my SD card reader (my computer has this). I never use the later, always the former. The microSD I ordered came with the adapter but I am sure you can get them at RadioShack or online.

Went to Radio Shack yesterday and bought a card reader. Formatted the card to FAT32 and all seems to be running okay so far.

Thanks for all the advice.:bigthumbup:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Went to Radio Shack yesterday and bought a card reader. Formatted the card to FAT32 and all seems to be running okay so far.

Thanks for all the advice.:bigthumbup:

Great news. I know my headaches disappeared once I started dealing with the card outside the SL2. You will save a whole bunch of time loading directly to the card. A couple of things won't work that way: playlists and DRM protected music. If you don't use either of those, you will be better off.

One other tip. When you remove your card from the SL2 to add music do the following:

1. Before removing the card, ensure you do a full shutdown.
2. Once the card is removed (even while reloading on your PC), start up your SL2 and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. This will clear its indexes and in-memory cache of your card.
3. Before re-inserting your card, do a full shutdown of your SL2.

Glad you got it working.