Ford SYNC will soon stream Pandora Radio, wirelessly tweet

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Ford SYNC Will Soon Stream Pandora Radio

email
2010 is shaping up to be the year Ford SYNC forever alters how we experience digital content in our vehicles. Today, the automotive company is breaking even more ground with the news that the next evolution of SYNC will support third-party mobile applications. Get ready to stream Pandora and tweet hands-free in your Ford.

Ford is essentially paving the way for running SYNC-supported mobile applications in your car, courtesy of the Ford SYNC API. It will start with support for Pandora for streaming online music, Stitcher for listening to podcasts in your car, and OpenBeak for safe and hands-free tweeting while driving. The bottom line is that you’ll be able to wirelessly control your smartphone applications in your car via the SYNC system with voice commands and steering wheel buttons.

The remarkable development — scheduled for release in 2010 — is ground-breaking when it comes to technology made available in cars, and certainly outshines the $1,200 Pioneer device with Pandora support. It’s all made possible thanks to Ford’s SYNC API, which will spawn support for the apps mentioned above and also eventually create a much larger application ecosystem.

The development also marks the sophistication and evolution of mobile applications. It seems like a dream to envision all our favorite apps functioning in our cars, and yet it’s a reality that Ford is bringing courtesy of its SYNC system.

Ford SYNC Will Soon Stream Pandora Radio

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Once again what is the month to month cost for such a setup? They talk about this stuff but when you start digging you find out quickly most can't afford it or for those that do have more money than sense!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Pandora is free, unless you choose Pandora One, and Ford Sync is a one-time $500 charge when you purchase the vehicle, and according to this little blurb, that's it...

The SYNC WiFi capability is a simple solution for bringing internet into the vehicle, versus competitive systems on the market. Being factory-installed, the hardware is seamlessly integrated into the vehicle, whereas competitor’s systems are dealer-installed and require a bulky bolt-in receiver and transmitter that take up cabin space. Also, competitive systems cost approximately $500 for equipment and installation, not to mention the monthly subscription fee.
“Using SYNC with existing mobile devices helps Ford provide the most value, the most flexibility and the most convenience for owners,” said Fields. “Constant connectivity is becoming a routine part of our customers’ lives, and we’re making existing technology more accessible without adding costs: That’s the kind of value Ford drivers have learned to expect.”
FORD SYNC GOES WIFI TURNING CAR INTO MOBILE INTERNET HOT SPOT FOR P ... - Press Release - Ford

Like you said in the other thread, Sirius needs to get off its duff and expand, before THEY go the way of regular radio.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
So if I read that correctly - basically it is "BYOBB" - Bring Your Own Broadband?

So Ford charges whatever for the OEM equipment - "SYNC", and the customer brings their own broadband to power it? That seems kind of expensive. I could be mis-reading it all though.

MNXMFan

Oct 24, 2008
My Ford Sync already streams Pandora, Slacker, and whatever else I want (well, besides Sirius).

Of course, this is all done by me playing it on the DROID through the Bluetooth integration on the Sync.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The more I look at Sync the more I might look at Ford for my next car. Especially if it plays nice with the iPhone (which through Bluetooth it sounds like it should).

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So if I read that correctly - basically it is "BYOBB" - Bring Your Own Broadband?

So Ford charges whatever for the OEM equipment - "SYNC", and the customer brings their own broadband to power it? That seems kind of expensive. I could be mis-reading it all though.

I doubt Ford has become a WiFi supplier. You would likely have to get your WiFi connection from somewhere. For those paying $70+/month on their phones, it will be available to them at no extra charge.

I still think satrad is the cheapest solution for digital music in the car. If I was willing to pay the $$$ for data (I'm not at today's rates), then its a different story. I love how some people conveniently ignore that not everybody has a data plan or wants one.

The bad news about Sync is that you have to actually drive a Ford.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
It sounds like the bigger concept here is that you turn your car into a "mobile wifi hotspot", so that anyone in the car can access the web??? Mom checking email, kids screwing around on Facebook, and dad hopefully not tweeting while driving, all the while listening to Pandora and not endlessly complaining about the Sirius Decades channels.....

Just how much data could you pull thru one device to feed to all these other gadgets? Am I reading this press release correctly?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
It's going to take a whole lot of bandwidth for wi-fi hotspots as cars. A whole lot, of which we don't have.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's going to take a whole lot of bandwidth for wi-fi hotspots as cars. A whole lot, of which we don't have.

Exactly. I still think what people are really envisioning (nationwide wifi in cars) is quite a ways off.

As for twitter:

@911: Just crshd. Need help. On hwy 18 n-bnd @ mile mkr 128.

IMO, in-car twitter can go along the lines of in-car TV and DVD. Drivers are already eating, using laptop computers, shaving, calling, texting, etc. behind the wheel. We don't need them twittering.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Exactly. I still think what people are really envisioning (nationwide wifi in cars) is quite a ways off.

I agree with you both, just don't see that happening and this is why I still think Sirius XM is positioned well. Most recent reports of AT&T and likely others to follow charging more for those that want to stream Pandora.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
How much technology are they going to jam into these cars?
How about building a car that just runs and is well built first??

I don't think that it is envisioned that you'd acquire a signal through the Sync. It probably relies on your wireless phone/smartphone to send and receive data, then use the Bluetooth link to communicate. As mentioned above, many people will bristle at the additional monthly cost for mobile broadband.

This is cool! I can stream music, twitter, check some email and send a text message all while cruising down the Interstate at 70 MPH.

I think I appreciate technology as much as anyone, but with 2 kids at home and a stressful job, I really appreciate the "alone time" a ride in the car gives me.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

This is cool! I can stream music, twitter, check some email and send a text message all while cruising down the Interstate at 70 MPH.

I think I appreciate technology as much as anyone, but with 2 kids at home and a stressful job, I really appreciate the "alone time" a ride in the car gives me.

DAWG take a vacation! hehehe Let them keep pushing the technology envelope, we want roads and tires to be obsolete some day as cars will float above pathways and won't need tires to roll on. LOL

It is true that accidents seem to steady grow as more and more technology is added to cars because of the distraction factor! Still I like the advance of these type things in cars and even homes.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK

Yeah, no kidding. The darn transmission on my 2003 Taurus is starting to go out on me, but hey at least someday I can look forward to tweeting from my factory-installed equipment :rolleyes:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Yeah, no kidding. The darn transmission on my 2003 Taurus is starting to go out on me, but hey at least someday I can look forward to tweeting from my factory-installed equipment :rolleyes:

That would be cool!! I'd love to read your tweets!!!!

...just dropped tranny on freeway.

...just called for tow truck.

...still waiting for tow truck.

...3 days now...still waiting for tow truck. Considering eating my own foot.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Jon, I removed the off-topic post from the thread to the moderator trash can where they belong!

Was just trying to have a little fun, but we'll let this forum get back on topic! Thanks!