for those of us who are drag racing fans

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
todays speedway legends segment will be with 2 of the greatest top fuel drivers to ever get behind a wheel, big daddy don garlits and shirley muldowney.

i already thanked you once this morning for this godfather, but hell, saying thank you again isn't going to harm anything. so, thank you for doing this for us straight line fans.

Nov 13, 2008
todays speedway legends segment will be with 2 of the greatest top fuel drivers to ever get behind a wheel, big daddy don garlits and shirley muldowney.

i already thanked you once this morning for this godfather, but hell, saying thank you again isn't going to harm anything. so, thank you for doing this for us straight line fans.

These are the first two driver I ever met back when I was a kid at the Old Tucson Dragway in the 70's.

This is a little off topic here, but does anyone remember who drove the Showtime funny car back in the early 1980's?
Posted via Mobile Device

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i believe those interviews were conducted back in 05-06 when sirius speedway was on 123.

since then shirley lost her jack muldowney in 07 due to cancer. jack was her first husband and the man who helped get her started in frag racing. her and her 2nd husband, rahn tobler, divorced in 06.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
true that. big daddy is at gainsville this weekend. espn showed him, but if they did an interview with him then i missed it.

i sure miss the days of big daddy, shirley, the snake, bernstein, the mongoose, glidden...so many to mention

as i'm writing this, big daddy is in the announcers booth.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
doesn't suprise me, but I don't remember the details of bernstein's contract. but i know this much, brandon is no kenny.

i'm pretty sure after InBev took over this was one of the things they wanted to get rid of.

crewguy

Oct 17, 2008
but i know this much, brandon is no kenny.

You can say that again. Gone are the days of Eddie Hill, Kenny Bernstein, Don Prudhomme, and Big Daddy. I remember when Eddie Hill was kicking their ass. Fuzzy Carter didn't even tear down the motor. They just leaked the motor and went through the clutch.

Back in the day when they had Thursday qualifying. You could sneak off work and go to the track. There were fewer people there and you could interact with the crews more. Hell I even helped crewguy Butterfield work on Force's pilot chute at Dallas, back in 89. Things were more laid back. Less commercialized!

Nowadays, Kenny and Brandon visit the rope less and less. To get an autograph, you have to visit the driver's souvenir trailer and get in line. I had a die cast that I wanted signed a few years ago. I did the line thing and let me tell you- Kenny reminded me of a freaking prune. He looked like he was trying to pass kidney stones! Talk about a stuck up SOB! The good thing that came out was that I got my Action 300 MPH record-setting car signed that weekend. Not only by ole Prune-face, but I got Double A Dale's autograph on it too. When I asked him to sign it, he took a look and said "I don't want to sign that piece of junk!". We got a kick out of that! Dale is a great guy.