For non-Mac users

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Until they realize that it's barely different than the OS they were using before...

:)

(then we can do the same when Win 7 comes out...)

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
There's a new operating system out?

Total dollars given to jobs each year = amount of days one is allowed to pine over each new fruity product.

Did you hear? there's an awesome upgrade to MMS for the Iphonny. thats so freaking cutting edge and new!
I wonder how much they were originally going to charge for than nifty one of a kind feature?(otherwise why didn't they inculde it with 3.0?)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
iPod people aren't getting a new OS, AT&T is going to do an update to allow for MMS and eventually there will a 3.1 upgrade unless that is what Apple is allow AT&T to deliver.

AT&T did the smart thing to insure that their system was ready to handle MMS. The fact is that most iPhone users use double the amount of data of other phones. Then again when you have a nice screen and all those apps you actually have something worth using as compared to most phones.

Speaking of Win 7 I have 3 copies ordered when they did the half price special, which really should be the actual price all the time. MS is trying to make up for all those XP users that never upgraded. I got news for them many of them still feel, you burned me once (Vista) you won't burn me twice (Win 7). I think Win 7 is a worthwhile upgrade, but I think it is going to be a tough sell to a lot of folks and even businesses really rooted in Windows XP Professional.

Having used both Snow Leopard and Win 7 I think both of these are improvements over the other and in a sense they both did the same thing. They didn't really change the GUI so much, but did a lot of stuff under the engine to make it run so much better.

I know one thing the adoption rate of Mac users (Snow Leopard) vs Windows users (Win 7) will be much higher because that is just part of the Mac culture, one thing I am sure MS wishes they had about now. I still think Win 7 will do very well, it certainly can't do any worse than Vista. Overall MS will still outsell Apple because there are so, so many more PC's out there.

What is strange is this long time non mac user finds himself suddenly using OS X and really liking it a lot and wondering will I really continue to use Windows much anymore? It will be interesting to see how that bares out over time. One other thing I can say is that until you really own, live with and use a Mac day in and day out all you can do is speculate.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Snow Leopard 'downgrades' Flash to vulnerable version

Will Snow Leopard be Apple’s Windows Vista? | csmonitor.com

http://www.crn.com/security/219500828;jsessionid=LO0GPAIOWYXUHQE1GHOSKHWATMY32JVN

funny-pictures-angry-cat-snow.jpg

This is the same company that charged to get cut and paste on the i-phod nearly 3 years late.

Last edited:

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
i have had mms capability for 5 weeks now without any hacks or jailbreaking or special programs.

then again, my iphone is not running on the at&t network. now if there was only a way to change the baseband of north american iphones so that it could work with t-mo's 3g that would be awesome.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I notice that most people at Starbucks use apples. Something about being willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee and buying Apple computers is apparently related. I'm betting they also shop at Whole Foods so that they can pay3 times as much for food.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I notice that most people at Starbucks use apples. Something about being willing to pay $5 for a cup of coffee and buying Apple computers is apparently related. I'm betting they also shop at Whole Foods so that they can pay3 times as much for food.

There's a name for those who just want the best things in life and are willing to pay for them:

Suckers.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that Starbucks offers free AT&T WiFi. AT&T is obviously tied to the Apple iPhone.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
iPodPeople = those under the influence of Apple

Just like there are some people I guess under the influence of their own ignorance this can be true of Mac owners and Apple. But don't equate all Mac owners as such cause you'd be very mistaken!

This is the same company that charged to get cut and paste on the i-phod nearly 3 years late.

Wow you sure got a lot of time on your hands, you looked up those links, copied and pasted them here. To tell us what exactly? That Mac OS X isn't perfect? I am pretty sure most of us already know that? One thing for sure is that any of those problems will be addressed in a fairly quick update. What does it take MS like 1 or 2 years to put together a service pack?

However, I do agree that it was crazy to charge for updates on the iPod, though they have never charged for updates on the iPhone itself. Apple has certainly used a lot of basic things like copy and past to entice folks to upgrade.

There's a name for those who just want the best things in life and are willing to pay for them:

Suckers.

There are suckers in every aspect of life is this something new? There are people suckered out of there money everyday. However, I like so many other Apple owners had a choice and we made ours. You got Xan in this thread who says he wanted a Mac, but it had a gloss screen so he passed. He had a choice and decided the mac was not for him. So, I guess he was just almost a sucker! LOL mrpacs is trying to decide if he wants one. Watch out, you'll be a sucker according to Mem. LOL

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
i have had mms capability for 5 weeks now without any hacks or jailbreaking or special programs.

then again, my iphone is not running on the at&t network. now if there was only a way to change the baseband of north american iphones so that it could work with t-mo's 3g that would be awesome.

Yeah this all goes to these damn foolish exclusive agreements! The FCC really needs to do consumers a favor here and stop allowing this crap. You should have every right to have an iPhone and use it on T-Mobile or any other GSM service available. Now if Apple doesn't want to make a CDMA version that is a business decision that they can make. I think it would be a stupid move though.

Yes AT&T provides free wireless access at most Starbucks! There are those that like Starbucks Coffee and if they can afford it why not? Since when is it a crime for folks to use their money to buy what they want too? They have a choice, they could go to McDonald's or some of these other places and get it for $3.00. Lots of McDonald's now offer free Wifi. So, if you were in there what was you doing? Using the bathroom or you just decided to see if there were any midgets in there? LOL

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
My criticizing apples short comings, should not be misunderstood as support for M$.
Im just trying to keep you guys from ending up dead with matching blue nikes and jumpsuits.

Nike_cortez_blk.jpg

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
My criticizing apples short comings, should not be misunderstood as support for M$.
Im just trying to keep you guys from ending up dead with matching blue nikes and jumpsuits.

Oh I think we can take care of ourselves, but thank you for being so, so considerate! :) However if people want to wear matching nikes and jumpsuits they have that option and it shouldn't make a shit to you, me or anyone else if they do.

The point is that none of these companies are perfect, nor are their OS's! There are extreme fans on both sides of the issue of which I am not. However, I also think talk is cheap and until you've actually owned and used both platforms it would be almost impossible to really compare them. (going and tinkering with one at the Apple store means nothing) They both have their strengths and weaknesses, just like people probably because they are designed by people.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Oh I think we can take care of ourselves, but thank you for being so, so considerate! :)

The point is that none of these companies are perfect, nor are their OS's! There are extreme fans on both sides of the issue of which I am not. However, I also think talk is cheap and until you've actually owned and used both platforms it would be almost impossible to really compare them. (going and tinkering with one at the Apple store means nothing) They both have their strengths and weaknesses, just like people probably because they are designed by people.

I was a total apple fanboy until 2000 or so. I used NOTHING but apple from 1993-1999. I swore I would NEVER use microsoft because the "apple interface/virus protection was so much better". I was even sold on the idea that an X Mhz apple was faster than an X Mhz PC because of the Apple OS. Then I built my first computer and realized that I was paying way too much for Apple. I spend about $1000 every 3 years or so and build myself a top of the line machine. No viruses, no spyware. I still use apples occasionally and don't dislike them, but I can build a computer that works just as good for half the price.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I was a total apple fanboy until 2000 or so. I used NOTHING but apple from 1993-1999. I swore I would NEVER use microsoft because the "apple interface/virus protection was so much better". I was even sold on the idea that an X Mhz apple was faster than an X Mhz PC because of the Apple OS. Then I built my first computer and realized that I was paying way too much for Apple. I spend about $1000 every 3 years or so and build myself a top of the line machine. No viruses, no spyware. I still use apples occasionally and don't dislike them, but I can build a computer that works just as good for half the price.

No doubt about it, I use to be into building them myself. In fact for years me and my IT guy built all our computers. However, when you can buy them at the prices we do buying quantity, along with quality I might add with our HP's (3 years on site never had to use it). I seen no reason to continue to create extra work for myself. On an individual bases not everyone is so inclined.

I can honestly say I've never been 100% sold on any of these computer companies. I've always noted that they have their marketing machines at full blast. However the real proof is in the pudding. You'll always have those in our society that are brand loyal and that is okay, they have a right to be that way if they choose to be. Who am I to judge them or to say they are stupid for paying what they did?

I personally never pay full retail for anything and that includes my Mac's. I also bought low end spec machines and upgraded them myself. There are many that won't even do that. Again if they wish to pay more for Apple to do it, so be it.

I see little point in this game that gets played where folks call others out for making the choices that they do. Why do people give a shit? Is it coming out of their wallets?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I see little point in this game that gets played where folks call others out for making the choices that they do. Why do people give a shit? Is it coming out of their wallets?

People are welcome to buy whatever they want to buy, but the fact still remains that Apple fanboys are annoying. If they want to buy apples because they like them, great. If people want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and get ripped off at Whole Foods, they're welcome to that too. Bottom line though, I can build an Intel or AMD machine that works just as good as their pretty Apples for half the price. Also, I like the second mouse button. A single mouse button is fricken stupid when we have 5 fingers.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
People are welcome to buy whatever they want to buy, but the fact still remains that Apple fanboys are annoying. If they want to buy apples because they like them, great. If people want to pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and get ripped off at Whole Foods, they're welcome to that too. Bottom line though, I can build an Intel or AMD machine that works just as good as their pretty Apples for half the price. Also, I like the second mouse button. A single mouse button is fricken stupid when we have 5 fingers.

You must admit it's pretty easy to use 2 or 4 fingers on the Mac Book Pro.