Foodies

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sort of.
I like good restaurants, and do a pretty good job in the kitchen, but don't get to cook enough lately. I'm getting the hang of my smoker, but haven't gotten to use it much this season. I watch a little bit of the Food Network, there's often a lot of good stuff to try.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I'm not a foodie.

I don't do fine dinning. I mainly stick with the everyday restaurant. Because I'm picky on my food and don't have a great taste buds, as much I wish I could.

I can somewhat cook, I am willing to try new things within reasons and the only shows I watch on food network are the game shows.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I love good food. I hate the term "foodie".
I'm with you on that. It's like the term "desk divers", which refers to people who buy dive watches but only wear them to the office, because they don't scuba dive. This may be a good thread idea.

My wife is a fantastic cook; she's not a gourmet chef type, she just knows how to make any kind of dinner you can think of, and every meal has a balance of side dishes. She'll often make something she's never made before, because she knows how to prepare anything, and she rarely uses recipes. She learned much of it from her mother growing-up. And we also still have a family dinner at her parents' house just about every week. Her mother is a one-woman restaurant; she makes dinners with 5 entrees, 4 sides, several appetizers, and a variety of desserts. She's got that post-holocaust mentality - food is life.

I'm good at operating the grill - that's about it. But because we have great cooks in the family, we only go out to eat about once a week, and it's usually just a casual place. When we go to a nice place, we often get something that's not easy to make at home, like fresh oysters and other seafood.

Reactions: semipenguin

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I am. I love to cook and I'm good at it. Both in the kitchen and the grill, and BBQ pit. I can make pretty much anything, lately I've been really into Thai food. I can make every dish for Thanksgiving better than mom, and turn around and smoke a perfect brisket and rack of ribs.

I try to get my hands on any recipe I can. I have subscriptions to America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, Cuisine at Home, and Chile Pepper. I frequent cooking/food websites and watch a lot of food/cooking shows on TV. Your standard "home cooking" I can do without a recipe but I like to push myself in new directions.

I rarely go out to eat when I'm at home, I can make it better and cheaper at home. Sadly I don't get to cook as much as I like since I travel so much.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I am. I love to cook and I'm good at it. Both in the kitchen and the grill, and BBQ pit. I can make pretty much anything, lately I've been really into Thai food. I can make every dish for Thanksgiving better than mom, and turn around and smoke a perfect brisket and rack of ribs.

I try to get my hands on any recipe I can. I have subscriptions to America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, Cuisine at Home, and Chile Pepper. I frequent cooking/food websites and watch a lot of food/cooking shows on TV. Your standard "home cooking" I can do without a recipe but I like to push myself in new directions.

I rarely go out to eat when I'm at home, I can make it better and cheaper at home. Sadly I don't get to cook as much as I like since I travel so much.

I actually cooked Thai Sweet Chili Chicken last night. Thai Curry is probably my all-time favorite thing to cook.

I make it a point every single weekend to cook something that I've never cooked before. And I document it all (and take pictures)...

Whereas my grandmother would clip out recipes and accumulate in a binder, I've made a modern day recipe book... a spreadsheet with links to the recipes I find online. :)

And yeah, I'm not too fond of the word "Foodie" either.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Anyone else here consider themselves a "Foodie"?

You know... fine dining, loves to cook, always looking for the next good recipe, can't wait for the next new episode of Chopped?

I'm not a foodie.

I don't do fine dinning. I mainly stick with the everyday restaurant. Because I'm picky on my food and don't have a great taste buds, as much I wish I could.

I can somewhat cook, I am willing to try new things within reasons and the only shows I watch on food network are the game shows.

im somewhere in between these two. probably a bit more like wolf. i rarely go to a fancy restaurant. i enjoy cooking/bbqing and do it often but i also do not make full fledged meals very often. if its just me ill cook a steak and just eat it by itself. usually only if i am with family will i make all the fixins/sides. although i dont eat out fancy i am very picky with the trash food that i do eat. i do enjoy various cooking shows. mostly the ones that involve gordon ramsay.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
i enjoy cooking/bbqing and do it often but i also do not make full fledged meals very often. if its just me ill cook a steak and just eat it by itself. usually only if i am with family will i make all the fixins/sides. although i dont eat out fancy i am very picky with the trash food that i do eat. i do enjoy various cooking shows. mostly the ones that involve gordon ramsay.
txY0uvU.jpg