Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Greek plate
b95bf7bf1418e35bdff1535582abb23d.jpg

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Thanks!

Still a hobby at this point, but definitely something I'm passionate about. Not sure if I'd ever want to give up my nights and weekends to work in a kitchen.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
For my own encouragement, I'd like to share what I'm up against with the Sunday family dinners - while I continue to try slimming-down.

Our nephew from the south shore and our daughter from north in NH both joined the Sunday dinner yesterday. This is what I recall that my mother-in-law served:
- appetizers: tureen of french onion soup with cheese, veggies and dip (my daughter brought this)
- a whole baked turkey with gravy
- a spinach, mushroom and cheese casserole
- a potato-bake casserole
- steaks cut-up into tips
- hambergers
- a crock pot of meatballs and sauce
- tossed salad
- cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, pickles
- dessert: chocolate mousse, brownies, strawberry sauce, whipped cream, fruit bowl

This was for 9 adults; there were also two kids, but they basically eat mac 'n cheese from a plastic bowl. Prior to this early afternoon dinner, we brought over bagels, lox, and cream cheese for brunch.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Sounds like an early Thanksgiving. Do you do family Sunday dinners often?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Last night I ate one Hillshire Snacking Small Plate (think moderately fancy Lunchable), 6 peanut butter cups and 2 big Symphony bars.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Over the weekend I made (separate meals) Breakfast Burritos, a fancier version of Beef Ramen Soup, and Chipotle Pulled Pork.
Also a Sweet Potato Pie from scratch.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
For my own encouragement, I'd like to share what I'm up against with the Sunday family dinners - while I continue to try slimming-down.

Our nephew from the south shore and our daughter from north in NH both joined the Sunday dinner yesterday. This is what I recall that my mother-in-law served:
- appetizers: tureen of french onion soup with cheese, veggies and dip (my daughter brought this)
- a whole baked turkey with gravy
- a spinach, mushroom and cheese casserole
- a potato-bake casserole
- steaks cut-up into tips
- hambergers
- a crock pot of meatballs and sauce
- tossed salad
- cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, pickles
- dessert: chocolate mousse, brownies, strawberry sauce, whipped cream, fruit bowl

This was for 9 adults; there were also two kids, but they basically eat mac 'n cheese from a plastic bowl. Prior to this early afternoon dinner, we brought over bagels, lox, and cream cheese for brunch.

That all sounds awesome!

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Sounds like an early Thanksgiving. Do you do family Sunday dinners often?
Just about every Sunday.
That all sounds awesome!
This is why I don't get into fast food. My wife cooks just as well as her mom. Between the two, I'm not itching for Chipotle.

Problem is, it's every Sunday with the 5 entree meat dishes, 4 sides, multiple appetizers and desserts. It's just not healthy.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Target makes a good wrap. I had the Mediterranean chicken one for the first time today and enjoyed it. At $4.30 and almost a full pound they are relatively cheap too.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Went to a diner today and it was very good. Diners are all over the place in Philly but down in FL I'm pretty sure the only one I've been to was in Tampa back in like 2007. Anyway, it was very good. Got a cheeseburger that was delicious. Well cooked, good bun and the cheese was nicely melted in a pile on top. It was $10 so $13 with tip.

That leads me to another thought. In general I think the 20% rule is king but when the bill is so small (I ate there alone) it feels wrong to only give the girl $2. I know another buck doesn't really matter but it makes me feel better.

I should win a Nobel Prize for my humanitarianism.

Back to the point, it's a spot I've passed by hundreds of times and I finally decided to stop today. I'm happy I did cause it was tasty and I'll likely be going back a bunch now.

This is the exact place:

the-moonlite-diner-is.jpg

Moonlite Diner - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That leads me to another thought. In general I think the 20% rule is king but when the bill is so small (I ate there alone) it feels wrong to only give the girl $2. I know another buck doesn't really matter but it makes me feel better.
Earlier this summer, we did the Cliffwalk across York Harbor. It was a hot, humid day, and we had only one water bottle to split. When we finished, we still had to walk the road back to the car. As we passed the old York Harbor Inn hotel, we saw a street entrance to the Cellar Pub. I got a beer, she got a soda. It was happy hour; they had steamed hot dogs (with fixins), homemade mac & cheese, and apple pie. All free. Our bill came to $7. I left a $5 tip.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I tip heavy when the bill is small.
For a $7 tab, I'd leave $4 or $5.

I was at dinner with a friend last week, and his niece was our waitress. She didn't charge for our sodas, and did something else that got me another $5 off my bill. The total was $21. I tipper her $12 and change.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
If we're bragging about tipping ...

I got my hair cut Tuesday. $43. I wasn't even that happy with the cut but I left a $30 tip.