Folding@home

Deacon

Oct 14, 2008
14.4 miles from Pepe's Pizza
Back over at SBS, there was a relatively successful Folding team. I was wondering if there was any interest in either starting a new team and/or seeing if the old team could be moved over to the DRC.

I ask that you check out folding@home here and air opinions about options for a DRC team.

Here is a quick copy/paste from the homepage -

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.
Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

What have we done so far?
We have had several successes. You can read about them on our Science page, on our Awards page, or go directly to our Results page.

Last edited:

starmate

Oct 13, 2008
Frederick, MD.
msn_025.gif

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
I fold (slowly) for Silentpcreveiw.com
We've slipped back to ~45th place from ~20th a few years back.

If you have multi core cpu run the SMP client and if you have the right video card run the GPU client for sure. Running the command line also produces more results faster than using the graphical interface. If you have a lot of memory going for large/advanced core units you also gets more done with the same watts.

Fold on!
I run seti.net and climateperdiction.net with boinc as well. boinc.berkeley.edu/

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Manco headed this up and it is my understanding he did switch it from SBS to DRC. I had asked him to provide the information so we could do a stick on DRC, but he never got around to it. So we already have a group there from what I understand.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks Aaron for posting this up again. I just added my home server as one of those doing some folding. It runs all the time, so I might as well let it do some work.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
Re-Introducing the Digital Radio Central Folding Team

Hey guys, just trying to see if we can recruit some new people, or revive those that have started by haven't contributed lately. Thanks for those that currently participate and let's start spreading the word. Sorry for my delinquency.

The DRC folding team is made up of individuals who want to help researchers find the cure to major diseases by participating in a distributed computing project. By working as a team, we can increase participation, and get recognition for DRC through world wide rankings. This team was originally started at Sirius Backstage as others have mentioned and currently has a ranking of 463 in the world. While rising in the ranks isn’t the main goal, it is a nice way of knowing that we are making a difference and helping out very important research.

To understand how you can help please read the following website for all the details:

Folding@home - Main

To join is pretty simple, you just have to download the client software onto your computer, configure it to team 49633 and let it run. It runs in the background and uses up spare CPU cycles. When you are typing on the computer, you are using less than 1% of the CPU power available. The Folding application will utilize whatever is left over by running in the background. I am running this on my laptop, and I don’t notice the difference in terms of usability performance. In the event you do notice a difference, you can always “pause†the application and continue working. For battery operation, it will automatically pause so that it doesn’t shorten your battery life.

Please help spread the word by adding a message in your signature.