Flu shots

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
How many of you will be getting flu shots this year?
To those of you who have gotten them in the past, did you find them to be effective? And did you feel any effects from the shot in the following days?

The reason I ask... Free flu shots will be made available where I work. I'm not sure if I want to get one.

Last edited:

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I got mine the other day. Really your arm is just sore for the rest of the day and a little sore the next day. Nothing some pain killers won't take care of.

I haven't gotten the flu in the last 3 years I've had them, so either they've worked or it's just dumb luck.

If they're free there is really no reason not to get one. It literally takes 30 seconds and no real initial pain (the actual shot itself).

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
I personally have never gotten a flu shot, but they sure do make my daughter cranky for the rest of the day. I dont know what is so special about flu season this year but my wife is on about me getting one this year and I heard that somewhere on T.V. that everyone is recommended to get one this year, not only seniors and children. If your company is giving them free, what could it hurt? If its free, its for me is the way I look at it.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've never had a flu shot and I can't remember the last time I had a flu. I eat so much poison that the only thing strong enough to survive inside me is me.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I got one in the past- can't remember why. I generally don't bother though. I figure if the infecting bacteria can survive all the alcohol I drink, they deserve to have me as food.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have not taken one in a few years, but I was thinking about doing it this year. But I've found the effectiveness hit and miss.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I have never gotten one nor have I ever contracted the flu. However, I got a shot this year because I will by flying more than I usually do. This winter I will be flying every other week so I didn't feel safe without getting a shot.

I am not sure if it was my a coincidence but I don't remember the last time I was as depressed as I was yesterday. I got the shot at 7:15am and the depression kicked in around 8am. I ended up going to be at 9pm, yes, 9pm and I woke up all nice and happy.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
I got one in the past- can't remember why. I generally don't bother though. I figure if the infecting bacteria can survive all the alcohol I drink, they deserve to have me as food.

CPT, with all you drink, do you have gout? My brother and father both drink more than the average Irishman and they have gout like you wouldn't believe. My brother had to take off work (he's a teacher) yesterday because of it. The Dr. says that my brother either has to eat healthier or quit drinking. He chose to eat healthier.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
CPT, with all you drink, do you have gout? My brother and father both drink more than the average Irishman and they have gout like you wouldn't believe. My brother had to take off work (he's a teacher) yesterday because of it. The Dr. says that my brother either has to eat healthier or quit drinking. He chose to eat healthier.

I must be lucky. I tend to eat pretty well and exercise daily. I also tend to wane-wax in how much I drink so maybe giving things a break helps out. Some days I'll drink nothing, other days I'll drink 15 beers.

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
He doesn't exercise at all. He lifts weights on occasion, plays with his daughter, and does manual labor but, other than that, he doesn't exercise. My father is the same although he is in very good shape. He used to be an MP and has stayed in the same shape since then; purely from farm work.

Last edited:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
He doesn't exercise at all. He lifts weights on occasion, plays with his daughter, and does manual labor but, other than that, he doesn't exercise. My father is the same although he is in very good shape. He used to be an MP and has stayed in the same shape since then; purely from farm with.

Your brother sounds like one of my brothers. He does manual labor and drinks (and that's it) and wonders why he feels like sh*t all the time. Oh, and I just read the symptoms of gout and, no, never had anything close to that. I also tend to stick to a mostly vegetarian diet so that might also help. We used to joke that alcoholic, sports/exercise enthusiasts make the perfect organ donors because, short of the liver, you're good to go!

Davis

Oct 10, 2008
Does yours have a short fuse too? I have seen my brother throw a chalk line and measuring tape because he dropped a single screw while we were putting up beadboard on his porch.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Does yours have a short fuse too? I have seen my brother throw a chalk line and measuring tape because he dropped a single screw while we were putting up beadboard on his porch.

My brother was out of work for months last year because he caught up to somebody that cut him off while driving, punched out their window (breaking his hand) and proceeded to choke the person with their seat belt. You could say he has something of a short fuse.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I will be getting a flu shot this year, and I have for the last 5 years or so. I find they may be about 75% effective.

And for the first time ever, our school district will be offering the "Flu-Mist" for all students, (of course, parental signature required). My kids will be doing that too. I feel like that is a nice pro-active approach, seeing as how schools can be like a virus/diesese hotbed.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I wouldn't get it. I believe last years shot was 80% ineffective. Sounds like they are going with a trial and error approach on this one.

No thanks. I'll take a 3 days of sick over getting a needle of ??????

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I've never had a flu shot. I'm 43 and have only contracted the flu once, last year.

I thought that I've had the flu before though, the truth of the matter is I never had. NOW I know what the flu is really about though.

I won't get a flu shot this year. I have a habit of touching my face, sometimes eating food with my hands (sandwiches, etc.) and I know that I caught it somewhere in NYC last year. Riding the subways, touching handrails, etc. You're touching things that many others (some with the flu) have touched.

Oren

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Never got a shot, I dont know if I had the flu, though. Since I'm only 20, I don't have a ton to go off of, but I might have gotten it a few years back, but I think it just a horrible cold. I was out for a week and a half though. Either way, I'll take my chances for now.

Deacon

Oct 14, 2008
14.4 miles from Pepe's Pizza
I have gotten the flu shot every year for the last 10 years. The shot is as close to painless as you can get and I have never experienced any pain in the arm the next day like a tetanus shot would give. I have never experienced any side effects and, in fact, the shot contains no live flu virus so any flu symptoms are coincidence or psychosomatic.

The deciding factor for me is that I have not had the flu in the years I have been taking the vaccine (knock on wood). Normally I would get the flu every other year and when taking the onset of symptoms to the clearing of symptoms, the flu would easily last 10 day.

All the above makes it a no-brainer for me and when you add in the fact that it's free and that the more people who take the vaccine also means the fewer people will come down with the flu (even non-vaccinated people) then it almost becomes a duty to get it. IMHO

Reactions: Aaron