Florida #1 in preseason poll

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Florida Gators top USA Today coaches' preseason poll - ESPN

Defending national champion Florida tops the USA Today preseason football coaches' poll, receiving 53 of 59 first-place votes.

Texas was second in the poll released Friday, followed by Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Penn State, LSU and Mississippi.
Texas had four first-place votes, and Oklahoma and USC each had one.

LSU, Virginia Tech and Mississippi are the new names in the coaches' top 10, replacing Oregon and TCU from last season's final poll. Virginia Tech finished last season at No. 14, while Mississippi ended last season 15th and LSU was not ranked.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
This almost guarantees another team other than Florida will win the National Championship :D

Let's hope its not Texas, Alabama, or Ohio St :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I usually pull for the SEC, but I hope you guys beat Alabama on Sept. 5.
Go Hokies!

Well, our offense simply HAS to better than last years, I am anxious to see what we do against a quality Alabama team. Of course, I am hoping for a win as well, but, so long as we dont get blown out I will be OK.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Florida has a pretty easy schedule for being in the SEC (don't play either Alabama or Mississippi). Their toughest game will probably be at LSU...can the Tigers pull it off Aaron?

Last edited:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Florida has a pretty easy schedule for being in the SEC (don't play either Alabama or Mississippi). Their toughest game will probably be at LSU...can the Tigers pull it off Aaron?

Heck yeah, LSU is capable of beating 'Bama this year. Almost happened last year and last year we had a QB that kept throwing it to the wrong teams. :banghead:

:)

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I am surprised to see Texas Tech at #28. Didn't think they'd get that many votes with Harrell and Crabtree gone.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
jim-tressel-nc.jpg

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
There are three SEC West teams (Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss) in the Top 10... no way that's happening! Two out of three are probably overrated, but which two?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
There are three SEC West teams (Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss) in the Top 10... no way that's happening! Two out of three are probably overrated, but which two?

I know you are an LSU guy Aaron, but do you agree with them being ranked ahead of Mississippi?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
I know you are an LSU guy Aaron, but do you agree with them being ranked ahead of Mississippi?

I'm not sold on Mississippi at all. A good QB and one good season, but I could see them falling this year. I would take my chances with LSU or Bama for 1st place in the West. They've had stellar recruiting for several years, while Houston Nutt is just getting started at Ole Miss.

We could probably have a thread of preseason predictions, but how are things looking in the Big 12? Is Texas the heavy favorite?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I know this guy who moved down here from Indianapolis (he's a Northwestern alum) and he's picking Illinois to win the conference. That surprised me.

I'm sure he's concentrating on the fact the Juice Williams is a senior. I don't look past anyone. I'm hoping Ohio State wins it, but any team can win any game on any given day.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm not sold on Mississippi at all. A good QB and one good season, but I could see them falling this year. I would take my chances with LSU or Bama for 1st place in the West. They've had stellar recruiting for several years, while Houston Nutt is just getting started at Ole Miss.

We could probably have a thread of preseason predictions, but how are things looking in the Big 12? Is Texas the heavy favorite?

I'm not sure if the preseason rankings are supposed to be where each team is RIGHT NOW going into the season, or where people believe they'll end up at the end of the year. If it's the former, I would have put Mississippi ahead of LSU simply because they have more returning starters from a team that beat LSU pretty good last year in Baton Rouge. And they have one of the best QB's while LSU still has some question marks at the position. On the other hand, if the rankings are where you think the teams will be at the end of the year, LSU has a good argument. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it anyway considering the teams are only separated by one spot :confused:

Texas seems to be the slight favorite over Oklahoma. I'm thinking they get knocked off in Stillwater though, much like they got beat in Lubbock last year.