First Wave sucks!!

smoke420

Oct 15, 2008
Is Sirius just trying to piss off all its remaining subscribers? I'm still not dealing well with losing both The Strobe and Backspin (cancelled my last sub because of it) but in my car I still get free Sirius. So, one of the remaining channels I like from time to time was First Wave. Never the deepest playlist, but at least they had some stretches of 80's music that you didn't hear every day.

Today, I hear Duran Duran, Culture Club, and Men Without $#%^&^$ Hats!

What an absolute waste of a channel.

Nov 6, 2008
I think they a dance channel with 70's, 80's and newer music. A station with music from groups like Modern Talking, Silent Circle, Fancy, Secret Service, Booney M, Kraftwerk, La Bouche, etc. Songs that may or may not be well known. There was what some call European Disco and Italian Disco back in the 80's. You have Kraftwerk which made electronic music in 70's and Secret Service which is Swedish. I don't know if they are shown on that show with the abba stuff or not. They could use a dance channel with some more popular stuff mixed with music made by lesser known artists. I went to a Borders Books to look in the music section. I found where their should be Modern Talking but not Cd's. I have found a lot of music on youtube where I'm not sure if you could go to somewhere like Itunes and download. I don't even know if they have it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I haven't really noticed a difference pre and post merge. All the bands you mentioned have been on 1stWave before the merge and seem to qualify under 1stWave selection criteria. Personally, although I like the broad definition, a lot of what 1stWave plays is not true alternative.

escapecar

Nov 10, 2008
I haven't really noticed a difference pre and post merge. All the bands you mentioned have been on 1stWave before the merge and seem to qualify under 1stWave selection criteria. Personally, although I like the broad definition, a lot of what 1stWave plays is not true alternative.

Agree on the pre- and post-merge. 1st Wave has always played those bands.

And while some of it may not be "true alternative" as we define the genre now, all those British synth-pop bands were definitely what we called "New Wave" back in the 80s.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I listen to this channel about 15-20 minutes a day to mix things up. I like it. Reminds me of my younger years when I actually danced to that music. :eek:

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, sounds like business as usual on 1st Wave. Shallow, with a heavy bent to the same handful of bands as always. I was actually hoping for a bit of a change here, but apparently this channel escaped unscathed. :(

smoke420

Oct 15, 2008
I guess I never noticed Culture Club, or other "music" of that type before on First Wave. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I heard a half hour stretch that was the lamest I have ever heard on that channel in 4 years.

So, I'll go with the theory that this channel has always been a disappointment, not just post-merger.

smoke420

Oct 15, 2008
I think they a dance channel with 70's, 80's and newer music. A station with music from groups like Modern Talking, Silent Circle, Fancy, Secret Service, Booney M, Kraftwerk, La Bouche, etc. Songs that may or may not be well known. There was what some call European Disco and Italian Disco back in the 80's. You have Kraftwerk which made electronic music in 70's and Secret Service which is Swedish. I don't know if they are shown on that show with the abba stuff or not. They could use a dance channel with some more popular stuff mixed with music made by lesser known artists. I went to a Borders Books to look in the music section. I found where their should be Modern Talking but not Cd's. I have found a lot of music on youtube where I'm not sure if you could go to somewhere like Itunes and download. I don't even know if they have it.

Now that's what I'm talking about - too bad there is no chance of this happening. That would be a channel that I'd listen to.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
1st Wave appears to be an 80's-era KROQ (L.A.) re-tread. Explains why Richard Blade and Swedish Egil are there (both ex-KROQ).

That's exactly what it is - Freddie Snakeskin used to be around, too, though I haven't heard him in a few months. He used to man "Dark Wave" on Sundays.

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
I remember on Long Island we had WLIR and it played real alternative tracks. Then it switched to WDRE and it starting sucking, then I think it went back, now its spanish stuff. I miss when you heard only true alternative rock, not stuff that is grunge/classic rock to sound alternative

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
I remember on Long Island we had WLIR and it played real alternative tracks. Then it switched to WDRE and it starting sucking, then I think it went back, now its spanish stuff. I miss when you heard only true alternative rock, not stuff that is grunge/classic rock to sound alternative

I hear you.

Here's what WLIR sounded like when they first started playing alternative tracks back in 1982:

[ame=http://www.zshare.net/audio/51628553b679ff31/]zSHARE - WLIR part 1.mp3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.zshare.net/audio/5162873755b53446/]zSHARE - 13 WLIR part 2.mp3[/ame]