Financial Realities of the App Store

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
the app store is a flawed concept. once you have bought that app, you can't get a refund for it. so if that app is lame, you are still jammed. if it's promoted well enough, it won't matter if sirixm produces the worst app in existance because people are still going to purchase and download it. apple can take this app and convert it to more sales for the iphone/pod touch and generate more exposure for sirixm, but unless there is no paid option for these people (ie, purchasing an online subscription for this app only) they aren't going to see much of a financial impact from this app if any.

i think that if there was a 24 hour trial period, apps would both improve in quality and be used more often. i read a report that most app store apps that are newly purchased are used mainly within the first 10 days and usage drops off significantly afterwards. i may get slammed for this, but i use cracked apps to try them before i buy them. and i have bought apps i thought were worth it and use them frequently. its a good idea and one apple should consider using.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
the app store is a flawed concept. once you have bought that app, you can't get a refund for it. so if that app is lame, you are still jammed. if it's promoted well enough, it won't matter if sirixm produces the worst app in existance because people are still going to purchase and download it. apple can take this app and convert it to more sales for the iphone/pod touch and generate more exposure for sirixm, but unless there is no paid option for these people (ie, purchasing an online subscription for this app only) they aren't going to see much of a financial impact from this app if any.

i think that if there was a 24 hour trial period, apps would both improve in quality and be used more often. i read a report that most app store apps that are newly purchased are used mainly within the first 10 days and usage drops off significantly afterwards. i may get slammed for this, but i use cracked apps to try them before i buy them. and i have bought apps i thought were worth it and use them frequently. its a good idea and one apple should consider using.

I think that's part of the reason they have the 'lite' apps that you can try for free, to decide if you want to pay for the full version. I've done that before, 4 out of 5 times I didn't buy the paid version. That's what those are good for.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
What a racket! Get the gen public to fill in the holes in your device and then take a cut from their work. Nice...

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Similar to the eBay and PayPal model. I don't like it either, but it does create a market for a lot of people that otherwise would never get their work or products to market. I may have paid $25 for the application I mentioned, but would have never heard about it if it were not for the App Store. These app creators know what the cost are going in and just add the cost to their business model.