Finally! Slacker in Canada

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So, I cannot get the current free service? I have to PAY to get the same shit the US residents get for free? Sorry. I don't want to pay and I won't. Colour me disappointed. Slacker sucks.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So, I cannot get the current free service? I have to PAY to get the same shit the US residents get for free? Sorry. I don't want to pay and I won't. Colour me disappointed. Slacker sucks.

I've calmed down a bit. Still pissed off. Am I reading the release wrong?

Slacker Radio is now available in Canada!

Canadian residents may enjoy music from our professionally programmed Genre stations, or use our Station Creator to create any number of custom stations. You may try out Slacker Basic Radio for 30 days, having access to the entire music library and station list, but limited to 6 songs skips per hour and other limitations of the free Slacker service. After 30 days, you will be required to sign up for a Slacker Radio Plus Subscription to continue to listen to Slacker Radio, which includes unlimited song skips, no advertisements, unlimited song requests for creating stations, station caching for supported mobile applications and more. For more information on Subscriptions please check out our Subscriptions page:

Slacker Personal Radio - Radio Plus

Slacker in Canada can be played on the Web by using a supported browser and going to Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio Stations.

Supported Browsers:

-Firefox 3.0+
-IE 7.0+
-Safari

Required Plugins:

Flash 9+
Java

A High Speed Internet Connection is suggested for best performance.

In addition to our website, Canadian residents will have access to Slacker via our Mobile Platforms as they become available for the BlackBerry, Android, and iPhone/iPod Touch devices. It is strongly recommended that you have an unlimited data plan (or similar) as the Slacker Radio application will consume large quantities of data over your mobile connection. In addition, with a Slacker Radio Plus subscription and a supported mobile platform, you may cache (stored directly to your handset) stations to be played off-line to reduce the amount of data that you use. You can get more information about these devices from:

BlackBerry:

Slacker Radio on Your BlackBerry Smartphone

Android:

Slacker Personal Radio - Slacker Radio on Your Android Smartphone

iPhone/iPod Touch (* coming soon)

Slacker Personal Radio - Your Radio Everywhere

We do not currently sell or support the Slacker Portable Devices outside of the US. Only the above devices/services are supported in Canada at this time.

They want $4/month. My account still doesn't work here (probably because I gave my US location).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've calmed down a bit. Still pissed off. Am I reading the release wrong?

They want $4/month. My account still doesn't work here (probably because I gave my US location).

Seems pretty clear to me they will do a 30 day trial and then you will be required to subscribe if you wish to continue with the service. It appears they have no intent to offer a free service in Canada. I wonder if they had to go through Canada's (whatever the call it like our FCC) for approval and if this was a requirement by them in order to pay royalty fees. Likely not, but just a guess.

Me as much as I like the service $4.00 per month is no big deal and I'd gladly pay it, but others may not want too.

I'd say you need to reregister a new account using your Canadian address to see if it works.

I am so, so ready for them to release the Slacker 2.0 app for my iPhone and iPod Touch so I can cache me some stations.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Seems pretty clear to me they will do a 30 day trial and then you will be required to subscribe if you wish to continue with the service. It appears they have no intent to offer a free service in Canada. I wonder if they had to go through Canada's (whatever the call it like our FCC) for approval and if this was a requirement by them in order to pay royalty fees. Likely not, but just a guess.

Me as much as I like the service $4.00 per month is no big deal and I'd gladly pay it, but others may not want too.

I'd say you need to reregister a new account using your Canadian address to see if it works.

I am so, so ready for them to release the Slacker 2.0 app for my iPhone and iPod Touch so I can cache me some stations.

I see why they are not offering it. They don't want to get in the Canadian advertising business and therefore need a sub. Its not a big deal except I am already paying for music and don't really want to pay for more.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My account is now working again. I guess I have 30 days. I will re-evaluate when/if I get a phone which would support slacker.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Give it a chance...heckuva lot cheaper than XMRO only.

My SIR is only $3/month. I already have Sirius and XM equipment. Certainly if I was choosing a service the $5 is cheaper than the $12.95. The question is do I want to pay an additional $5/month on top of my current setup. Given that this is PC only right now and I have Sirius on the same PCs, it is doubtful right now. If/when I upgrade my cellphone, I will re-evaluate again.

I will give it a chance though for at least 30 days.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My SIR is only $3/month. I already have Sirius and XM equipment. Certainly if I was choosing a service the $5 is cheaper than the $12.95. The question is do I want to pay an additional $5/month on top of my current setup. Given that this is PC only right now and I have Sirius on the same PCs, it is doubtful right now. If/when I upgrade my cellphone, I will re-evaluate again.

Argh. I have forgotten how much I HATE commercials on a music stream. The free 30 days may be a bit hard to make it through.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

I think for me it is how much better the music is on Slacker, along with the SQ, plus the customization and even creation of my own stations that make the $4.00 per month a no brainer. Even already having XM equipment and being invested it is worth it. But the key componant you have missing is portability, but you and I even have different outlooks on that. I prefer an all in one device, you seem to like having separate devices. i.e. Phone, SL2 etc. I walk out my door everyday with one device that does it ALL.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think for me it is how much better the music is on Slacker, along with the SQ, plus the customization and even creation of my own stations that make the $4.00 per month a no brainer. Even already having XM equipment and being invested it is worth it. But the key componant you have missing is portability, but you and I even have different outlooks on that. I prefer an all in one device, you seem to like having separate devices. i.e. Phone, SL2 etc. I walk out my door everyday with one device that does it ALL.

SQ seems the same as the Sirius Internet Stream for me. The things I like is I can get rid of say Phil Collins and Salt + Pepper from the 80s channel. Things I don't like is the commercials.

As for devices, I have the SL2 and I like it. I do not currently have a phone which will do anything more than phone. I have a palm pilot for my organization. When my phone comes up for renewal I may upgrade to a Palm Pre and combine these 2 devices. If the data plan is reasonable, I will take it. At this point Slacker becomes available portably. The justification for $5/month is greater (they charge me more). I do not need to have just one device but I don't want to have 25 either. I would not get a new device just for Slacker.

However, if I do it, and can use a US proxy, and I can do the same trick I did with Sirius XM and it accepts my Canadian CC, then I can get the cheaper rate.

Right now I will try for the 30 days. The commercials are already annoying.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
SQ seems the same as the Sirius Internet Stream for me.

Right now I will try for the 30 days. The commercials are already annoying.

Not even close to being the same in my book! But then you are stuck listening through your computer I assume. I have the pleasure of using my via a kick ass car system and home stereo system. There is a clear difference!

I will never listen to commercials when there is an alternative even if I have to throw a few bucks a month at it!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not even close to being the same in my book! But then you are stuck listening through your computer I assume. I have the pleasure of using my via a kick ass car system and home stereo system. There is a clear difference!

I will never listen to commercials when there is an alternative even if I have to throw a few bucks a month at it!

I was comparing SIR on my computer at home and work (through headphones) to Slacker on the same computers.

If after the 30 days I decide to keep Slacker, I will obviously be comercial free. The only question is can I survive that long.

I just created a station. I hope to do a Classic Rewind/Bridge/80s crossover rock station (basically the stuff I like). So far so good although it will require some work.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Ok, how come a song ban counts as a skip?

Is there anyway to preban songs?

Are skips per physical hour (reset on the :00) or is it some sort of dynamic no 7 skips in any 60 minute period?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I was comparing SIR on my computer at home and work (through headphones) to Slacker on the same computers.

I can't explain it for you, but anyone that sits in my vehicle can tell big difference between the two. Makes me question how good your headphones are, but not everyone has hearing that can disseminate differences.

Ok, how come a song ban counts as a skip?

Is there anyway to preban songs?

Are skips per physical hour (reset on the :00) or is it some sort of dynamic no 7 skips in any 60 minute period?

No, idea I liked the service so much from the get go that I never had to deal with any of those issues. I subscribed within 24 hours of listening!

Maybe some others that have the free service can answer that for you.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I can't explain it for you, but anyone that sits in my vehicle can tell big difference between the two. Makes me question how good your headphones are, but not everyone has hearing that can disseminate differences.

Not sure how good your WiFi stream to the car is but I like my headphones at work and both services sound good through them although Slacker is quite a bit louder than SIR. I need to really scroll back the volume to avoid going deaf. Again, WiFi 128k stream for both (I assume Slacker is 128k?).