Ferk John Smoltz, Ferk the Braves, and Ferk MLB!

Discussion in 'MLB' started by Bandit 5160, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

Is there any loyalty left in pro sports whatsoever? John Smoltz is now in Boston. I can say this without any reservation or without risking feeling bad about it later. I hope John NEVER is able to throw an official pitch for Boston. I hope his arm completely gives out. I hope he isn't elected to the Hall of Fame, and if he is, I don't want him to be celebrated as an Atlanta Brave. He is no longer a Brave, and I don't wish he be remembered as one.

Now that I've let Smoltz have it, I'll blast the Braves. Why couldn't they find some way to keep this guy? They are incredibly cheap now. Are they really that damned broke? Well, this is the last straw. I'm tired of seeing the Braves let themselves fall farther and farther off the map with each passing day. I am no longer a fan. I am now officially a "free agent". I don't have a team!

And MLB now. WHY DON"T WE HAVE A SALARY CAP?! A handful of teams, mainly in the Northeast, now get all the stars. I know it hasn't quite happened yet, but eventually, this is a trend that is going to catch up with the league. Several teams will compete for the championship while everyone else will be shit.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

Says the fan of the team with the most consecutive appearances in the post season ever. :confused:

3. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

That was yesterday. The Braves are shit now, and it is my feeling that they will continue to be. I'm tired of watching them suck these past couple of seasons, and they let all their good players get away now.

4. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

But you could at least look a trifle less hypocritical by not complaining about the same teams competing every year. It's as bad as a Red Sox fan complaining that the Yankees "bought their championships" while cheering on Schilling, Pedro, Damon, Ramirez, Ortiz, and Millar.

5. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I'm complaining that a handful of teams now buy up the STAR PLAYERS. Granted, we all know that buying star players does not neccesarily equate to winning championships. But it can't hurt. And right now I feel like eventually this trend will damage the game of baseball- a few teams will have all the studs. The Yankees and the Red Sox both are the poster boys for all that is wrong with baseball right now- they are beginning to buy talent away from everybody! Do you see this happening in the NFL, NBA, or NHL?

And I'm not a hypocrite now because the Braves are NOT competing now! During their run of division titles I would have been a hypocrite. But not now. I don't live in the past. The bad economics of baseball have helped destroy the Braves, and today they flat out suck, giving me a right to bitch!

6. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

NFL - Not really, but NFL players don't have the same deals.
    NBA - Celtics just bought a championship, and I'll be the first one to admit it
    NHL - Rangers bought stars the last few season (not well, but they bought them). Detroit grabs one every year (Hossa). The Senators and Sabres have been pretty much raped in the off-season lately. Toronto can't keep a free agent to save its life, even their captain.

And if you were a fan when they were appearing in the playoffs every year and outbidding for their talent, then you are a hypocrite now that they aren't doing it today.

7. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is WHY ARE THEY NO LONGER ABLE TO OUTBID FOR TALENT TODAY? The answer- other teams have more money to spend due to a lack of a salary cap. Remember how great baseball was before the 1994 strike? Everyone had an equal chance of winning. Today, it has gotten to the point to where some teams really have to have everything break perfectly for them in order to have a chance, and the gap between the few rich teams and other teams will only continue to widen. This, in my mind, all equals a very dim future for my Braves. Winning division titles is now ancient history. I'm only 36 years old, but I'll probably die without ever seeing another Braves playoff appearance. As a kid, I was a fan of some TERRIBLE Braves teams...and I don't feel like going through that all over again!

8. Jgatie

Jgatie Banned

C'mon, you can't be serious. If the actual results mean anything, MORE teams have a chance of winning today. In the last 8 years, the only repeat winner was the Sox. The 90's had the Yankees winning the last 5 years!

Just because Atlanta isn't in it, doesn't mean there isn't some parity. Parity in the 90's was a joke. There was Atlanta, there was NY and there was everyone else. Seriously, how much parity could there have been when your team won its division for 14 years in a row (minus the strike year)?

And don't talk to me about terrible teams. I am a Red Sox fan. Unless your grandfather died cursing the Sox in his last breath (true story), I don't want to hear it. Talking to me about terrible teams is like the Yankee fans who used to tell me "I feel you pain, I lived through the 80's." :no:

9. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

You do realize that John Smoltz is no longer a "star player", don't you? He pitched in six games last season. He'll be 42 in May. He's a Hall of Fame pitcher in the twilight of his career.

If you want to complain about Teixeira, or Sabathia, or Francisco Rodriguez, then that's fine. But John Smoltz was hardly a marquee free agent.

And this sort of thing is not unprecedented either. Hall of Fame, one-team players will occasionally leave late in their career for another team. Hakeem Olajuwon finishing with the Raptors immediately comes to mind, me being a Houston fan. Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals. Willie Mays with the Mets. I was very relieved that Biggio and Bagwell retired as Astros.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

I guess you are right about Smoltz. But I do want to complain about Texiera. He's a Georgia Tech guy who seemed so excited to be playing with his "hometown team" in Atlanta. I guess that damned Scott Boras was to blame for that..man do I hate that guy!

And by the way, some of you must remember how bad the Braves were from about 1985 until 1990; a lot worse than the Yankees or Red Sox then, that's for sure. Atlanta lost at least 90 games all of those years, sometimes over 100, and were always among the worst teams in baseball. Shit, I could have hit home runs off some of their pitchers in those days! I don't want to go back to those days, but it's sure headed in that direction and I sure am pissed off about it. I've got to lash out at and blame somebody or something for it, don't I?

11. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

You can't just snap your fingers and say, "let's have a salary cap". The players would never agree to it at least for awhile. We would probably lose one baseball season and maybe even two if this was put on the bargaining table.

I do agree we need a salary cap.

12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

What made you think that MLB had any loyalty to anything but the $ before this? When they got Free Agency, they traded away loyalty.

Buying championships doesn't always work. The Yankees have had the biggest payroll the past couple of years and haven't made the playoffs.

As for this move, it doesn't matter to me. He goes from a team I despise to a team I hate.

13. sgniwder

sgniwder Member

I have to say that being a Red Wings fan, it was nice to be able to buy anyone who wanted to come to Hockeytown. I can't deny winning in 97,98 and 02 weren't special, but there was something about winning it last year that was nice because most of the players were homegrown and weren't hired guns.... Rafalski being the exception...

That being said, I'm not sure that you can do anything about players like Hossa who just want to go to Detroit for lesser pay to try to win...

MLB needs a salary cap.

14. i will miss smolks. he was great.

15. Bandit 5160

Bandit 5160 Member

Well, at least the Braves now have Derek Lowe, KK (a Japanese phenom whose name I can't remember, spell, or pronounce), Javier Vasquez, and two young guys who pitched pretty well last year now in their rotation. I wouldn't count on Tommy Glavine, who might be made a reliever if he ever does pitch again anyway, but maybe the Braves will have a decent rotation after all even without that money-hungry traitor Smoltz. I just hoped they don't sign back that fat injury and strikeout artist Andruw Jones- he would bring nothing to the table for them.