FCC Extends Deadline For Sirius XM To Lease Channels

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
I wonder what channels Sirius-XM will drop when they are eventually forced to lease the bandwidth?
------------------

Radio Ink - The Voice of Radio Revolution
WASHINGTON -- December 1, 2008: Sirius XM Radio had until November 28 -- four months after the XM-Sirius merger that created the company was approved by the FCC -- to lease 4 percent of their channels to qualfied third parties, but the FCC's Media Bureau has now, on its own motion, extended that deadline to February 27, 2009.

As a condition of their merger, XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio voluntarily agreed to put 4 percent of their full-time channels in the hands of qualified third parties through long-term leases or other agreements.

The FCC said in an order released Friday, however, that in light of commenters' concerns about the mechanics of the lease administration and the FCC's own commitment to determine the details of the lease condition "at a later date," it now needs to extend the deadline to give the commission time to work out exactly how the condition will be implemented.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They could also drop the Korean channel, or maybe some of the Canadian channels off of the US lineup.

Since they still need to provide the Canadian channels as a part of the bandwidth dropping them wouldn't do anything. Ironically the Korean channel is a Canadian channel.

Last edited:

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
i say lease out some of the minority channels already on the service. i can think of the power on xm would be perfect for this.

secrecyguy

Oct 15, 2008
Southern California
www.youtube.com
What they should do is auction the channels out to radio stations. That way, they will be able to make some extra money from it. I am sure several radio stations will pay good money to have their radio stations to broadcast on the satellites.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
What they should do is auction the channels out to radio stations. That way, they will be able to make some extra money from it. I am sure several radio stations will pay good money to have their radio stations to broadcast on the satellites.

Why would a radio station want to lease out a channel on satellite? For the most part, radio stations are generic and most mainstream formats can be found in any given city.

Plus, as a condition of the merger, Sirius XM needs to lease out the spectrum to programmers who are going to provide service to "underserved minority" groups (whatever that means). They can't just lease the spectrum out to the highest bidder.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Why would a radio station want to lease out a channel on satellite? For the most part, radio stations are generic and most mainstream formats can be found in any given city.

Plus, as a condition of the merger, Sirius XM needs to lease out the spectrum to programmers who are going to provide service to "underserved minority" groups (whatever that means). They can't just lease the spectrum out to the highest bidder.

Sirius XM does not have any say in who the spectrum goes to. That control belongs to the FCC. I think the only control they would have is a channel number. I am not even entirely clear if Sirius XM gets paid for this spectrum.

Derek

Nov 10, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
The most niche music channels left. Candidates include:
40s on 4, The Village, Bluegrass, SiriusXMU (but why on earth would they take away a rock channel?), The Groove, Broadway, Cinemagic, Area

nightowl

Nov 11, 2008
Sirius XM does not have any say in who the spectrum goes to. That control belongs to the FCC. I think the only control they would have is a channel number. I am not even entirely clear if Sirius XM gets paid for this spectrum.

Get paid? Nope. They are being required to give that spectrum for underserved groups. Now, they might be able to not lose money on those channels, by having the programmer pay the uplink costs, but that would be about it.

jwt873

Oct 12, 2008
The deal was that they lease channel space. That implies that they will be paid for it.

An outfit called Georgetown Partners with the backing of Jesse Jackson brought up this lease idea during the merger negotiations.

They wanted as much as 20% of the combined Siri/XM spectrum. Their plan was to provide free channels (no subscription required) and to make money from advertising.

Whether Georgetown does get a lease or not remains to be seen. Many aspects of the merger remain unclear for subscribers and shareholders.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The deal was that they lease channel space. That implies that they will be paid for it.

That's what I thought the deal was, but I seem to be outnumbered.
A lease implies a payment or some other sort of compensation. It might have to be break-even sort of thing, but I never assumed it was a freebie.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Hopefully it's Book radio, cosmo, and playboy

Unfortunately it won't be and I would imagine EVEN MORE music channels go on the chopping block! Playboy is shit and if we are paying for that, there is a problem! Isn't Playboy as a magazine not even doing so hot?

Getting rid of more music....you know that's what is going to happen!

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Whether Georgetown does get a lease or not remains to be seen. Many aspects of the merger remain unclear for subscribers and shareholders.

As long as they don't give any spectrum to them and they only mess with the minority channels that are already in place, then I'm 100% OK with this.