Favorite NASCAR Conspiracies

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I have to say that today's TMD is fun to listen to. Black helicopters everywhere. Some of you may agree with these conspiracies, some of you may not. Here are three popular ones from today.

Earnhardt Jr. pulled the 'rev chip' so that he could blow the engine intentionally. I didn't quite understand why he would want to do this & how it would benefit him but it's a conspiracy, none the less.

NASCAR fixed it so that Juan Pablo Montoya was penalized for speeding on pit road. I guess I'd have to wonder how this would benefit NASCAR to have JPM not win this race. IMO, it would have been a huge story for him to have won this race. It certainly would have been a bigger story than Jimmie Johnson wining back to back.

NASCAR will not allow TV networks to show pit road speeds. That way NASCAR can cover up things like what happened yesterday with JPM.

What are some of you favorite NASCAR conspiracies? Mayfield? Phantom debris? How about Martins championship loss in years gone by? And, if you are a believer in all of these things, what the heck keeps you watching this sport?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Earnhardt Jr. pulled the 'rev chip' so that he could blow the engine intentionally. I didn't quite understand why he would want to do this & how it would benefit him but it's a conspiracy, none the less.

WOW.... I wish I would have heard that call. :twitch::twitch::twitch:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Earnhardt Jr. pulled the 'rev chip' so that he could blow the engine intentionally.

Rubbish. It's the LAST thing Jr. would want to have happen.

Juan Pablo Montoya. It certainly would have been a bigger story than Jimmie Johnson wining back to back.

Without question. Just like the last Super Bowl, people will forget Indy in a few days.

Phantom debris?

This one....there's no doubt in my mind it's happened. But I don't always put the blame on nascar. I think the track operators are responsible sometimes because they want their track to have excitement.

what the heck keeps you watching this sport?

I've been following nascar since around '78 and I still have a spot in my heart for it. Even if the current leadership ticks me off to no end sometimes. To the point where I don't watch but about half of the races anymore. Last year I didn't watch any of the chase live.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Without question. Just like the last Super Bowl, people will forget Indy in a few days.

Last year's Super Bowl will not be forgotten by some here in western PA. LOL

This one....there's no doubt in my mind it's happened. But I don't always put the blame on nascar. I think the track operators are responsible sometimes because they want their track to have excitement.

I had to think of you the other day when I was watching Indy practice. Once on Friday and again on Saturday a debris caution was thrown. Do they fall under the phantom debris umbrella or are they legitimate because they happened during practice? I only ask because the cameras didn't show anything being retrieved.

Last year I didn't watch any of the chase live.

I know that you are glued to the TV getting your Steelers fix on Sunday and that keeps you from tuning into the chase races. LOL

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
NASCAR will not allow TV networks to show pit road speeds. That way NASCAR can cover up things like what happened yesterday with JPM.

Well, half true per Robin Pemberton..... NASCAR does not allow the display of the speeds because NASCAR measures from point A to point B, not a given instant of speed. In other words, they measure the average between two points. A driver could be exceeding the speed limit at any given moment between two points but not exceed the average between two points. OK, my head hurts now. I never really thought of why they wouldn't allow this but it makes sense to me. Can you imagine the calls to NASCAR if someone saw Dale Jr. traveling @ 61 mph for a split second and not get penalized?

Last edited:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Phantom debris cautions arent a conspiracy, they are reality. When a 2 time champion calls Nascar out for it, I tend to believe him than people who have their cheques signed by Nascar.

Other than that, I can think of some pretty good screw jobs by Nascar, but conspiracies are pretty hard to come by.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I gotta say, this mornings TMD was a joke. When people brought up why Nascar doesnt allow TV to broadcast pit road speeds they were immediately blasted with "Why do you watch it" or "Your crazy!!!" or "I dont watch it so I cant comment" Well heres a piece of advice, watch the race, know what the hell people are talking about, and then grow some balls and have an opinion. Some people brought up some pretty decent arguments today and were shot down for no good reason other than that the hosts didnt have an answer for them. Its ridiculous.

Oh and to add to my discontent, for the love of christ, learn how pit road speed is monitored. Its not timed anymore. It hasnt for many years. There is no averaging of the speed, there is no 5.8 seconds from one sector to another, there is no going 75 for 1 second and 45 for another. You are not allowed to exceed the pit road speed + 5mph at any point whatsoever during the course of pit lane.

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I have to admit.....TMD has been getting on my nerves just a tad lately. I know that *I* would get tired of stupid callers too after a while but it's a call-in show for pete's sake.

Just because a fan voices a complaint doesn't warrant a "why do you watch" response all the time.

I tell you what ticked me off yesterday after the race was the lack of a live call-in show throughout the evening. It would have been nice for a live show until about midnight to let fans vent.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Oh and to add to my discontent, for the love of christ, learn how pit road speed is monitored. Its not timed anymore. It hasnt for many years. There is no averaging of the speed, there is no 5.8 seconds from one sector to another, there is no going 75 for 1 second and 45 for another. You are not allowed to exceed the pit road speed + 5mph at any point whatsoever during the course of pit lane.

Robin Pemberton was on this morning and said that it is monitored by the average speed between two points and not simply breaking the limit for a split second.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
You are not allowed to exceed the pit road speed + 5mph at any point whatsoever during the course of pit lane.

I thought they were allowed 5 mph over. Was it just Indy?

Last edited by a moderator:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Robin Pemberton was on this morning and said that it is monitored by the average speed between two points and not simply breaking the limit for a split second.

That is not how Nascar explained it to Fox in 2005 when they went to electronic scoring from timing with stop watches. Perhaps they have changed it. But how do they get a figure of 60.11 mph if they measure the time or average speed?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
It is measured the same way your local cops do it. VASCAR concept. SPEED=DISTANCE/TIME As much as you'd like to believe it, it's not a judgment call.

Last edited:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The only difference in the way they do it today -vs- how ever many years ago is that instead of people using a stopwatch to time a given car between two points, they now use electronic timing between two points. There is no manual intervention.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Im well aware its not a judgement call.

I went back and rewatched the segment they had on it and distance/time makes sense thats how they do it. They didnt specify thats how it was done but it makes sense.