Fantasy Fatball 2017

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
No. Just a membership to the Planet Fitness in Mankato, MN. I like the treadmill
I had a gym membership in the 1990s. I liked the treadmill, too. I would get on it and walk for 30 minutes or 60 minutes. It was boring and didn't do anything for my weight.

I recommend a bicycle. A hybrid, fitness or beach bike. Not from a big box store, because they assemble them poorly. You can get something in the $200 range from a bike shop that will be more fun to ride. Just get on and go exploring. Don't push yourself. Just have fun.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I recommend a bicycle. A hybrid, fitness or beach bike. Not from a big box store, because they assemble them poorly. You can get something in the $200 range from a bike shop that will be more fun to ride. Just get on and go exploring. Don't push yourself. Just have fun.

i've been thinking of doing exactly that. except i thought i'd get a cheapo bike from walmart. but what can biking do for my big fat gut? isn't it all legs?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I had a gym membership in the 1990s. I liked the treadmill, too. I would get on it and walk for 30 minutes or 60 minutes. It was boring and didn't do anything for my weight.

I want a bike. I will check them out when the weather warms up.

Thanks

Reactions: memebag

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Exercise increases your metabolism for a time and also knocks a chunk out of your daily calorie intake. For example:

2000 calories of food - 500 calories burned cycling = 1500 net calories for the day.

If your body expends 2,000 calories during your normal routine of living, then you've burned 500 more calories than you took in.

1,500 calories consumed - 2,000 calories used = (500) calories

Do that for seven days (7 x 500) and you've lost 3,500 calories, or one pound of fat. Basically.

Lifting weights also increases your metabolism for a time. It also, over time, increases your metabolism permanently because muscle cells need more calories than fat cells. So if you add 10 pounds of muscle, you body might start burning 2,300 calories a day instead of 2,000 just by virtue of you being bulked up. Put 2,300 calories into our equation and you get:

1,500 calories consumed - 2,300 calories used = (800) calories

Do that for seven days (7 x 800) and you've lost 5,600 calories, or 1.6 pounds of fat. Basically.

The difference over the course of a year is huge.

Losing one pound per week is 52 pounds of weight loss in a year.

Losing 1.6 pounds of fat per week is 83 pounds of weight loss in a year.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
i've been thinking of doing exactly that. except i thought i'd get a cheapo bike from walmart. but what can biking do for my big fat gut? isn't it all legs?
This:
Remember, weight is just a function of calories consumed minus calories burned. Your big fat gut will go away if you burn more calories than you consume for long enough.

Also, I advise against the cheapo bikes from Wal-mart. I had two of those over the years and rarely rode them. They were crap. My first bike shop bike was about the same price, but a lot more fun to ride.

All that stuff CF said about calories is true. That's exactly how I won Fantasy Fatball back in 2013.

Reactions: Wolf and JHDK