Everyone's thoughts on the draft

TSSJimmyCoN

Oct 13, 2008
Chitown
www.tss-radio.com
what did everyone think??? Did anyone listen via sirius? On my stilleto I actually was able to go back and forth like songs to backtrack and see who was picked after I fell asleep from Adam Scheins awesome coverage. The Lions....I'm disgusted with their picks.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Jets made a pretty ballsy move snagging Sanchez.
The Jets need a franchise QB, and a young Hispanic guy will play well in NY.
Hopefully he lives up to the hype. It's a lot of pressure.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Jets made a pretty ballsy move snagging Sanchez.
The Jets need a franchise QB, and a young Hispanic guy will play well in NY.
Hopefully he lives up to the hype. It's a lot of pressure.

But it is the Jets. Jets fans should be used to disappointment by now.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The Lions....I'm disgusted with their picks.

Why do you say that? The Pettigrew pick was a little suspect, but I thought getting Louis Delmas in the second round was a really good pick. Like many positions on their roster, the Lions have nothing at safety. Delmas was the top-rated safety in the draft.

I was happy with Houston's draft. They addressed some positions-of-need, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Brian Cushing brings a mean-streak that the Texan defense needs, and this Connor Barwin kid looks like a versatile LB/DE hybrid.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
D- for the Donkeys. They drafted a running back with their first pick when they already have 3 (J.J. Arrington, Correl Buckhalter and Lamont Jordan). Defense was the most pressing need. They got a good one in Ayers with #18 but it was a mostly offensive draft, in more ways than one. 3-13 is looking like a possibility.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
D- for the Donkeys. They drafted a running back with their first pick when they already have 3 (J.J. Arrington, Correl Buckhalter and Lamont Jordan). Defense was the most pressing need. They got a good one in Ayers with #18 but it was a mostly offensive draft, in more ways than one. 3-13 is looking like a possibility.
I agree big time... Why didn't the Broncos go defense with the 12th pick?!?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Browns draft a center!

A center? In the first round? Niiice. Looks like they are trying to be the anti-Bengals. While the Bengals lead the league in suspensions, rap sheets, arrests, etc. the Browns are collecting guys who are "nice guys", and won't cost a lot of money. Once they started trading down, they didn't seem to be prepared for the new pick, so traded down again to buy some time.

I agree with the first trade-down with the Jets. Sanchez is probably a couple years away from starting. Even his college coach thought so. The Browns already have a high-rated QB who has done his time on the sidelines. Now it's time to see what he has.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I see the Browns have invited Graham Harrell to participate in mini-camp. Brady Quinn better watch out!

I still can't believe Harrell didn't get drafted. That kid has one hell of an arm. Do you think the NFL scouts bought into this whole "system" quarterback bull shit? I hope he gets a fair chance. I know Crabtree is all that,but Harrell had something to do with it too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I still can't believe Harrell didn't get drafted. That kid has one hell of an arm. Do you think the NFL scouts bought into this whole "system" quarterback bull shit? I hope he gets a fair chance. I know Crabtree is all that,but Harrell had something to do with it too.

Actually, his arm isn't all that great. That's one of the knocks on him. His accuracy is really good, but he definitely doesn't have a cannon.

I was also a little surprised he didn't get drafted. It's understandable though. Quarterbacks who run some variation of the spread offense in college don't translate well to the NFL. Take Alex Smith, for example. And with Harrell, there are questions about him being able to take a snap from under center, and being able to read coverages while dropping back. I really doubt he ever does anything noteworthy in the NFL. Maybe he catches on as a backup or 3rd string somewhere. But out of any of the Mike Leach QB's, Harrell definitely has the most talent and has the best chance of making it in the pros. Like I said though, it probably won't happen.

Maybe if he went to Georgia to play football (they offered him a scholarship), it'd be him right now instead of Stafford with the $41.7 million guaranteed.

More so than Harrell, I was really surprised Hunter Cantwell didn't get drafted. There was a time when he was being projected as a 2nd rounder, possibly even a first. 6-5, great arm, seems like everything you'd want in an NFL QB. But a poor senior season at Louisville cost him, I guess.