ESPN To Air 14 Races

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I was just going to post this on here...

I'm glad they're doing this. God forbid that redneck sport preempts or delays America's Funniest Home Videos :shock:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I don't know what to think about it. Regardless of what I hear Moody say about this on his show, there are people out there that will not be able to watch some of the races. I'm not sure that limiting your audience is the best move. :no:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I don't know what to think about it. Regardless of what I hear Moody say about this on his show, there are people out there that will not be able to watch some of the races. I'm not sure that limiting your audience is the best move. :no:

Yeah, I remember how mad people were when it was announced Richmond would only be shown on TNT, then ESPN. Now, they're only showing the last race of the whole season on cable? Granted, a lot of people have cable, but that's still pretty nuts.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
Looks like Disney is phasing out the ABC Sports division and putting everything on ESPN. They've slowly been moving everything sports related that was on ABC over to ESPN....the Monday Night football package went from ABC to ESPN.....the Rose Bowl was supposed to be on ABC until January 2014, but they've transferred those rights over to ESPN to start next January.....now this with NASCAR. The days of sports on broadcast television looks to be coming to an end.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Looks like Disney is phasing out the ABC Sports division and putting everything on ESPN. They've slowly been moving everything sports related that was on ABC over to ESPN....the Monday Night football package went from ABC to ESPN.....the Rose Bowl was supposed to be on ABC until January 2014, but they've transferred those rights over to ESPN to start next January.....now this with NASCAR. The days of sports on broadcast television looks to be coming to an end.

Not hardly. Fox, NBC and CBS depend on those ratings, and have no place to put their games. ESPN can't house every sport and their contract, but they have enough to take ABC and then a bit more like the College Bowl Games.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
besides 90% of the homes in the U.S have cable or satellite and the ratings were higher on ESPN.

Can you post a link to where that 90% figure came from? I remember that during the conversion to digital television that the US government was sending out credit cards for use in the purchase of a digital converter box. I believe that you were able to get two per household. They ran out. They had to produce and issue more. They were only needed by people using the older analog televisions with an over-the-air antenna, not cable or satellite. So, I guess the way I look at it is..... If 90% of the homes in the US have cable or satellite, that same 90% has ABC available to them. I'd also imagine that a majority of that other 10% also have ABC available to them. It seems to me that ABC is available in more households across the US than ESPN. :scratch:

I have to wonder if those ABC ratings have something to do with going head to head against the NFL. I'll go out on a limb here and say that ESPN's ratings will drop in 2010 going into the time slot that ABC occupied in 2009. The only thing that could possible save those ratings is that the start times have been moved up. Another thing that could hurt is that the pre-race coverage is no longer going to be on the channel covering the sport. I can't see any way that ESPN will drop their Sunday NFL Countdown show or move it to ESPN2. More than likely the pre-race coverage will be on ESPN2 and then the race on ESPN. :idunno:

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
ESPN isn't even available up here in Canada, so we have to rely on TSN to cover all of these races now, that's just lovely. If they decided to not carry one or pull one of the many stunts and air it but in the freakin middle of the night I for one will be pissed.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Yup last year TSN pre empted a race to air a pond hockey championship game.....I really wish I was joking.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
umm HELLO canadians.. your national sport is HOCKEY LOL.. it will have precedence up there. As far as folks not having cable or satellite.. save up. Even if you live somewhere there is no cable you can still get directv or dish. Cut something out of your budget bring your lunch to work vice eating out. go out to dinner less. Buy generic products vice name brands there are ways to afford cable/satellite. Heck Satellite companies ALWAYS have a deal where the equipment costs you NOTHING.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
umm HELLO canadians.. your national sport is HOCKEY LOL.. it will have precedence up there. As far as folks not having cable or satellite.. save up. Even if you live somewhere there is no cable you can still get directv or dish. Cut something out of your budget bring your lunch to work vice eating out. go out to dinner less. Buy generic products vice name brands there are ways to afford cable/satellite. Heck Satellite companies ALWAYS have a deal where the equipment costs you NOTHING.

Sorry Sub..... It's not always as simple as that. Not everyone is in that situation that you describe. I can give you a perfect example. My parents who are NASCAR fans. They live on a fixed income and if it weren't for the fact that I pay for their DirecTV account, they'd strictly be over the air viewers. As far as your satellite deals go. Equipment doesn't cost anything but the overinflated prices after your first, 12 month discount do. Once again, I know this because I pay for two accounts.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The NHL I could understand but some random pond hockey championship?

Do you ever try those websites out there that broadcast live sporting events. I know that NASCAR is available every weekend on there. Sometimes though, those sites can't handle the net traffic to well.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
umm HELLO canadians.. your national sport is HOCKEY LOL.. it will have precedence up there.

Yes it does take precedence but, we have TSN and TSN2. TSN2 was created so when there was a major sport on TSN they could air such sports like NASCAR on the TSN2 channel and most times they do but there are times when it is in the middle of the night or something dumb as that... And with that being said most of the time it isn't your major hockey games it is a damn college football game or sometimes it is even something stupid they are playing on both TSN and TSN2 at the same time only TSN started it 30 minutes prior to TSN2.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Which race was preempted by pond hockey? I dont remember that one.

And our national sport is Lacrosse btw.

If TSN pulls any crap, I for one will be watching it illegally and damn glad to pass along the info to anybody who wants it. Screw these TV companies.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Dex I feel for your parents but none of us have a right to see a nascar race in America or Canada. Are you sure about that Lacrosse thing. From what I can tell Lacrosse really isn't popular anywhere in the world.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Dexter, it was last year at some point. No I can't remember if it was a cup or nationwide race but I know it happened.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"Dex I feel for your parents but none of us have a right to see a nascar race in America or Canada."

Uhhhh...pardon?

"Are you sure about that Lacrosse thing."

Yes

"From what I can tell Lacrosse really isn't popular anywhere in the world."

They dont have a multi team league for nothing.