Email from Best Buy

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I try to buy my Sirius subscriptions using Best Buy gift cards. It's one or two more steps, but I end up saving money on gas. AND because of the Best Buy reward points, I ended up saving $5 on a Sirius subscription. :)

Anyway... Upon purchasing my Sirius subsciption card, I got this in the email:

With the merger of SIRIUS and XM, you now have more programming options available than ever before. During activation, consider adding The Best of XM. This package gives you access to Oprah & Friends, The Opie & Anthony Show, and broadcasts of every MLB game*, plus NBA, NHL and the PGA Tour.

*MLB games subject to availability and change, and may not include pre-season games.

Technically, I guess they're right with the "subect to availability" bit, but they could have left that out.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I try to buy my Sirius subscriptions using Best Buy gift cards. It's one or two more steps, but I end up saving money on gas. AND because of the Best Buy reward points, I ended up saving $5 on a Sirius subscription. :)

Anyway... Upon purchasing my Sirius subsciption card, I got this in the email:

With the merger of SIRIUS and XM, you now have more programming options available than ever before. During activation, consider adding The Best of XM. This package gives you access to Oprah & Friends, The Opie & Anthony Show, and broadcasts of every MLB game*, plus NBA, NHL and the PGA Tour.

*MLB games subject to availability and change, and may not include pre-season games.

Technically, I guess they're right with the "subect to availability" bit, but they could have left that out.

They don't have to change the wording if they ever reach a deal. Although technically legal, it is a bit desceptful for it implies intent on delivering something you have no means to deliver.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
Again this is something that is bullshit by Sirius into getting you the best of XM I think but you never know.

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008

did you mean Best Buy sent you that e-mail or you got the email from sirius after buying a subscription card from best buy?

if it's best buy sending the email, sirius should probably call BB corporate and tell them to change the wording cause it probably will confuse already confused consumers. if it's sirius, i'm surprised legal hasn't called up marketing and told them to take that out. they're just asking for a lawsuit if that's the case.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This is from the email:

This e-mail is a Best Buy advertisement. If you no longer wish to receive our marketing e-mails, unsubscribe here. You may also send an e-mail to PrivacyManager@bestbuy.com or send a letter to Best Buy Corporate Campus, 7601 Penn Avenue South, Richfield, MN 55423-3645, Attention: Customer Care/Privacy. Please include your current contact information (name, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address), and indicate that you wish to stop receiving Best Buy marketing e-mails. For more information, read our Privacy Policy or call 1-888-BEST BUY.

It came from an "@bestbuy.com" email address.

Yes, I agree. Very deceptful, but legal.

SPeeDy

Oct 14, 2008
RI
How do you add subscriptions using a Best Buy gift card? Can you do that for XM as well as Sirius?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
How do you add subscriptions using a Best Buy gift card? Can you do that for XM as well as Sirius?

It's tricky, but my case works like this:

My grocery store gives me 20 cents off every gallon of gas for every $50 I spend in the store.

Spend $50 and get 20 cents off each gallon of gas at next fillup
Spend $100 and get 40 cents off.
And so forth.

I go to the grocery store. I buy $100 of best buy gift cards.
I go to bestbuy.com. I fill in all my info and get a $5 "best buy rewards program" gift card back.

I buy $110 worth of Sirius programming using my $100 worth of gift cards. Couple that with a $5 coupon and another $5 from me, and it's all paid up.

I get a little discount at the gas pump for spending money i'd normally spend. It does take some time to get the reward coupon and the programming card, but it's worth it.

XM programming card:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9233359&st=xm&type=product&id=1218064150191