Eli Gold:Nascar Overexposed

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Was listening to Eli's regular Thursday morning spot on 104.5 The Zone's morning radio show and Eli said he thinks nascar is overexposed with all the media oulets these days.

He also wondered why some people would spend 3 hrs or more watching a race on Sunday when they can catch a one hour condensed version on Speed a little later.

I normally don't listen to Eli because I'm not a big fan of his show...and also because he's an Alabama guy (he does their games). lol.

But he's usually pretty interesting on these morning spots he does.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I have long thought that Eli himself is overexposed. His voice has such a high and mighty tone to it, I can't bear to listen to him as a broadcaster. However, I do enjoy it when he gets together with Bagley on TMD and they just tell stories on one another.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
He also does Nashville Predators Games :right:

He's right. Too many race. Too long of races. People have short attention spans.

....What did I just say? :hhh:

Oh well :idunno:
Posted via Mobile Device

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
He also does Nashville Predators Games

He does? WOW. I missed that. Thank You. I didn't pay attention to them this last season. But they've made some moves this offseason and I want to get back into it since I'm living here now. Hockey rocks.

I have long thought that Eli himself is overexposed.

LOL.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't hear him but I agree with semi..... Too many and too long or races. Overexposed? In what way? The number of and the length? Or, if it's a comment about the coverage of the sport then I don't know about that. There are 24/7 channels to all of the popular sports. They don't all seem to be suffering the same fate as NASCAR. So, I'm not sure that I would buy that argument.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Overexposed to me means that it is something that is seen at every turn. Advertised to no end. Regardless of what you are doing or where you are at, you are reminded of it. I don't see that at all. More of the opposite in my case. Maybe it is simply the region that I live. Our local news barely ever mentions the sport. You're hard-pressed to find any info on it in the paper. Most all sports websites you'll find it at the tail end of their links behind most all other sports.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
You're hard-pressed to find any info on it in the paper.

Yeah, the only thing in my paper might be an AP story from Jenna Fryer. But most newspapers these days are just a rehash of AP stories. If you want news, the internet and radio are the way to go.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If you want news, the internet and radio are the way to go.

I live in the Pittsburgh, PA market. I don't know if radio has ever even mentioned NASCAR with the exception of the day/week that Dale Earnhardt died.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I live in the Pittsburgh, PA market. I don't know if radio has ever even mentioned NASCAR

Sorry, I was talking about news in general. But, yeah, I don't think in Pitts they would talk much nascar. Down here though they will a little bit.

I will add, however, that nascar doesn't get as much respect as it used to. One host commented that "nascar changes the rules as much as the weather changes in a year." It was a telling moment for me to hear that because it shows that overall, even in the south, nascar has lost a lot with many in it's base.

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I think LeBron is overexposed. It's just Pumpkin Pounding.....

I wish Mr. Gold would of put his thoughts into article form so I can read exactly what he was saying. IMO, Compared to the other major sports, NASCAR doesn't get half the national attention. Did the world stop when Kasey Kahne was rumored to be moving to another team? is there non-stop NASCAR fantasy league channels?

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree with Eli. With the amount of content that Nascar offers, there is a lottttt of coverage for so little happening. There are only at most 3 major national races in a weekend, and there is as much coverage on TV for those 3 than an entire NFL weekend which can have at most 14 games. Im not saying we need to go back to the 80's where the coverage was terrible, but I think a classic example of Nascar over exposed is 14 hours a day of talk radio. Its not the channel, just the content. There is too much for so little. Which is the theme of Nascar nowadays really.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I wish Mr. Gold would of put his thoughts into article form so I can read exactly what he was saying.

Yeah, but I don't think he's a "pencil pusher".

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
ESPN cares more about the X-Games then NASCAR :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

That's because Nascar crapped all over them the first chance they got. Just like they did with their die hard fans who used to pay to go to the races even before they were on TV. Pretty stupid trading in rock solid fans for a bunch of corporate, fickle yuppies. Overexposed? Well when you pull back nascar's curtain, you find out pretty quickly that there isn't much there anymore. So in that respect he might have a point.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish nascar had not gotten back together with BSPN. Most of those show host don't even consider it a sport.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Your in for a rough end to the season then. ESPN is carrying 14 of the next 17 races which includes 9 out of the 10 Chase races.