DW: Brilliant

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I caught DW on speedway today and while I was listening I was yelling "yes yes yes!".

One idea on testing was to let the teams test at the track on the friday before the race. One of those "well, duh!" ideas. Why nascar doesn't allow this is beyond me.

The other idea has to do with a competition committee. Which is something I asked about on the old message board. I don't normally care for committees but in this case I think this sport NEEDS this to keep nascar in check.

Anybody else hear DW today?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't hear DW but that Friday thing is nothing new. It's been brought up many times since NA$CAR announced the ban on testing.

Please explain the 'competition committee'. What is it and how does it work? :scratch:

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
I didn't hear that part of the show today, but I have heard many other people bring up the topic of testing on the Friday before the race, but not sure what came of that idea or if there was a reason it would not work.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Please explain the 'competition committee'.

A group of people who would give their opinions and thoughts on nascar's decisions. And provide recommendations. Among other possible actions. Not that it would change nascar's decision but it MIGHT sway them in a certain direction.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Rick Hendrick has been saying this since the testing ban was floated a couple weeks ago.
it's a good idea.
"Test" at the track on Friday, Qualify Saturday, race Sunday. You're already there on Friday why not use it.

One thing I haven't heard much on is what is going to go on with tire tests? Are those gone too? and we're just going to get a harder tire that's tougher to race on??

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
They said that the tire tests are still going to happen. :yesshake:

Yeah, that's a separate issue that needs to be addressed. But, again, I don't always blame the tire. Atlanta and Indy eat tires by the truckload. Plus these COT's are heavy and top-heavy.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I think allowing testing on Fridays would be good for the long haul of the sport, if the goal is to eliminate testing altogether, but if the testing ban is only going to last half a year to a year then whats the point. The teams test on Friday at Atlanta, they cant really apply it that weekend. But you do that, then 2 or 3 years down the road the teams have all this data they can use to build better cars year after year then it would be good.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Well, the established teams already have tons of data so it would help the small teams. But I disagree that testing on Friday wouldn't help on race day. Any testing is gonna help.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
It depends on what you mean by testing. If having a 6 hour practice or having a 6 hour practice with computers and data aquitition. If its 6 hours with data then no, it wouldnt help beucase there is no way you can aquire, assesses and implement the data overnight.

I think at the very least they need to increase practice by a tonne.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
there is no way you can aquire, assesses and implement the data overnight

Really? Even if it's two days with todays computers? Maybe it depends on the TYPE of data.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Either way, data acquisition equipment or not. Testing on Friday would help and like I said, they're there anyways. Why not test?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
And it would probably help the overall racing which would be a big plus. And needed.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont think you could analyse data that quickly, and not to mention making use of it. Plus another element is staff. If your going to have all the data aquition stuff you need the people at the track to analyse it. Does the cost outweight the benefit?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Does the cost outweight the benefit?

Well, factor in the cost of testing at another location and time. Versus using the time at a track you're already going to anyway.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Well, the established teams already have tons of data so it would help the small teams. But I disagree that testing on Friday wouldn't help on race day. Any testing is gonna help.

Exactly. How can it not help to be testing @ the same track two days before the event? :yesshake:

Also, what is this about the testing ban only being half a year? I sure missed that. When was that announced? :scratch:

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
DW said if nascar would let them, they could arrive at the track with the telemetry in the car and then remove it after testing/practicing. Installing it is whats so time consuming. But as of now, nascar doesnt allow it on race weekends. I think I understood all that right.