Dustin Long

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Did ya'll hear CBL's show with Dustin Long and Larry Mac? It was about Dustin's blog that has gotten everybody talking. Here's his site....

Dustin Long | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

I thought Larry Mac back-peddled on his remark about Poole. When CBL asked him about his comment Larry's first reaction was to go after Dustin. But I did agree with most of what Larry had to say.

I've emailed Dustin to put on his site the entire transcript from start to finish to let everyone read it and make their own decision. But I do know that putting up an hour's conversation is not an easy thing.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I like Dustin. He was one of the first people to follow me on twitter :)

Larry Mac was kinda right about Poole. David was a Negative Nelly but he always brought a solution to the table :cool:
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I only got to hear small excerpts from Larry Mac's interview on CBL's show. One of the things that he said was that Dustin Long only writes negative things. He said that he will never sit down with him again and suggested that nobody else should either. If those were truly his thoughts, why would he have ever agreed to do the interview in the first place? :idunno:

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
I read the blog but didn't get a chance to hear Dustin or Larry. I did hear Kyle on Moody's show. I'm hearing some of it now on TMD. I'm not sure what to think of any of it.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
He said, he said that's how this seems to me.

Moody needs to get them all together in the same room and you know Moody will get to the bottom of it!........They can have a "Throw Down" Moody style!! LOL :Smiley_wink:

One thing I will say is I don't care for speaking ill of the dead, I don't care who it is.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I'm getting the feeling that too much is being made out of the whole thing. It's just their opinions. Can't really fault them for that. When I read through the interview published on Dustin's website, I find myself agreeing with some of their opinions and disagreeing with others. TMD seems to be taking it especially hard because of its affiliation with David. If we all agreed on everything, how much fun would that be?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
After listening again this morning one thing that struck me was how Larry was putting down "pencil pushers". Like having a certain job or position means that person is only after one aspect of the sport and/or that people in that position are not as qualified. I thought it was very condescending.

David Poole was a "pencil pusher" and was very qualified and did a damn good job. As does others still with us. It's these folks who do the footwork to bring us the stories.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
All I can say, I didn't hear anything Larry said about David Poole but Poole's wife is not too happy with Larry at all for what he said...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Larry's a big boy. He should stand up & admit he meant what he said.

Just because Poole is dead doesn't mean you have to change how you feel about him. I never liked Dale Earnhardt when he was alive, why should I like him now that he's gone?

Maybe that will teach him to keep his mouth shut & stick to Nascar Performance Live :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
That link led me to read what that piece of shit Ramsey Poston had to say, and once again my blood is boiling. Why does everyone working for Nascar have to be some useless pile of scum? It boggles my mind.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
"Dustin Long is the current president of the National Motorsports Press Association. A short time ago, he took his place on the NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominating Committee. He is a well-respected journalist who works for the Landmark Newspapers chain. He has almost twenty years of sports journalism experience."

20 years experience? That's pretty good for a "pencil pusher".

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I have to wonder if he just uses that name for all print media? I know that I listened to him yesterday morning on my drive to work but I may have been distracted when he said that. I'd like to hear that interview again.

Did Spencer ever come on any of the shows? Maybe he's waiting for next week's Mojo Nixon show?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Did Spencer ever come on any of the shows?

No. TMD and CBL have tried to get him....I don't know about Moody. I think Spencer is being smart and just laying low.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Blurb from the Daly Planet on Larry Mac.....

Wednesday, McReynolds took to Sirius Satellite radio to vent his new found anger about the recent series of interview articles published by veteran reporter Dustin Long. In a very public way, McReynolds basically blamed Long for painting him in a negative light. He went so far as to suggest that NASCAR personalities should no longer talk with Long due to issues of trust.

Long is currently the president of the National Motorsports Press Association. He has a long track record of accurate reporting mixed with informed opinions. Perhaps, McReynolds might like an opportunity to clear the air on TV. At least that would give him the opportunity to wipe whatever egg is remaining off his face.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, I don't think Larry made any new friends with his comments. Certainly not with the print media (which includes the web).

Larry got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and is embarrassed. Because now nascar knows how he feels about certain issues.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
He'll have a lot of TV time this weekend @ Talladega. It'll be interesting to see if he addresses any of this.

Same goes for Spencer.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
This from the blog....the response from nascar...

"The real question here is what are their employers going to do? David Hill, the chairman of Fox Sports and Hunter Nickell, the president of SPEED (all three are on SPEED's payroll and McReynolds is on Fox's), are the ones who should be concerned. Fair or not, broadcasters essentially telling the fans to stop watching the races is not a good thing."

To me that sounds like a threat. Nascar is basically hinting to Fox that they should take some kind of action against the guys for speaking their mind. And we KNOW nascar does this with the drivers too. It's not debatable.

This is why I always say they act like the mob or a political party. If you tow the line you'll be fine. If you cause waves we'll number your days.