Dumb prank went bad

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've been pulled over for window tint. Cop pulls me over, asks the typical, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I answered, "Well, I was going the speed limit (people passing me by) so that's not it.." "It's your window tint.."

Do you have really dark windows? I've never been stopped for that.

That's not solving crime. That's not protecting the public. That's hassling people.

It's enforcing the law. I thought you said you weren't looking for lawlessness?

Like I said, I'm not looking for lawlessness or people just doing whatever they like on the road. If the speed limit sign says, "55MPH," and people, each and every day, are doing 70MPH then all of those people aren't wrong, the sign is.

No, if the speed limit is 55 then everyone doing 56 is breaking the law. Just slow down.

As I said, I also recognize that the cops are doing what they're told and all of that. The public face of cops is out on the highways fishing for revenue - not that they don't catch the odd dolt doing 100MPH+, but generally speaking, they're picking one out of the crowd all doing about the same speed and traveling safely. That's just fishing.

Why is it OK to stop someone doing 100 but not OK to stop stop someone doing 70?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I know some cops and recognize there are some good ones and some bad ones.

When I see a cop on the side of the road I don't think, "Oh, look, a cop! This must be a safe area!" Instead I think of him as an adversary just looking to hassle random people and collect revenue for the local municipality. I'm not a criminal nor do I have a criminal record. If anything, I should be the guy thinking, "Oh, look, there's a cop. The officer is a friend of the people," but that's just not the case.

Now, I recognize, too, that local and state governments put cops out there to specifically raise revenue and the cop is just doing his job and, really, just wants to go home at the end of the day. That, to me, is the problem. The local governments, see cops as revenue generators instead of seeing them as a necessary use of force to protect and serve the people. There's no money to be made in actually going out and solving crime but there is money to be made sitting on the side of the road harassing people as they drive to and from work.

That's a really bad tear in society, as I see it. When your average guy sees the cop as an adversary instead of a friend of the people then something bad is happening with the legal system.

I see cops as, "To protect and serve.. the government.." and that's not good.

And, no, I'm not looking for a lawless society or for children to die as they go to and from school as people do 100MPH in a residential neighborhood. It would be nice to see cops in a light where I actually think of them as a friend of the people, instead of a friend of the state.

All that being said, I don't wish any ill will to them and, again, understand they're just doing what they're told and want to go home at the end of the day.

Oh Brad.... were to start. I work with law enforcement everyday. I was a MP in the Marines for 2 years when I first started. Your really out of touch. Just the other day one of our "traffic cops" got two drunk drivers off the highway that probably would have killed someone. They also got a drunk that was driving on the freeway the wrong way and almost killed someone. That my friend is what they are there for. If you break a law prepare to be pulled over.

These guys put their lives on the line every single day. You have no idea what they really do or what they have stopped. Oh yes our police force has stopped lots of shit before it happened.

Go on a ride along in a medium to big city. I think that will change your mind about cops. See how people treat them and how they can be in danger.

There is a reason for the dark windows. When you get pulled over a cop needs to see what is going on. You might have a gun. Who knows.

Brad Bishop

Dec 3, 2008
Ugh - this is painful. This is like me saying, "I don't support more funding for schools," and you coming back with, "Why do you want stupid children?," without understanding what I'm really saying.

So, first: I understand that they do things other than hassle people driving around. I'm not disputing that.

If someone were going to break into your home today, they are not there to stop it nor should they be. We don't want a police state. They
basically report the crime that happened and, if it happens frequently enough to enough people they'll try to track down who's doing it. Otherwise it's the, "We can't be bothered - call your insurance company"-bit.

Now, the tint laws are their because the state feels like it has a right, and some cops do - I've spoken with cops who disagree with this and understand the perception problem I'm speaking of, that they can look in your car and inspect it for anything that may be illegal. They can't openly say this so they hide the notion of, "tint is too dark - can't see out." They never say, "Oh, we think you shouldn't have tint because we want to visually search your car. That is no more a valid argument than saying you can't have blinds or curtains on your house because a cop should be able to walk up to it and peek in - just in case something illegal is going on.

Besides, as someone earlier mentioned in them not being able to solve real crimes because of the phone cookie guy: Why are they wasting time pulling me over because of my tint when there are real crimes to be stopped / solved?

Yes, they do catch drunk drivers. They also hassle far more drivers just trying to get to get around. This is, in my opinion, a huge perception problem. People, except for in this particular thread, don't look at cops the same way they did 50-60 years ago. When they see a cop they think, "Crap - what am I doing wrong." Also, there are enough laws to where you're pretty much doing something illegal throughout the day. Cops even openly admit that if they want to get you that they can come up with some infraction against you. That's just flat out wrong. I should be free to go about my business as long as I'm not harming anyone.

Regarding the, "What's the difference between 100MPH and 60MPH in a 55MPH zone?" - That's dumb. If the limit is 55MPH and everyone is traveling 70MPH then the limit is wrong, not the 1000s of people doing it everyday. If someone is driving through that crowd of cars that's happily doing 70MPH but is weaving in and out at 100MPH then that's obviously going to be a safety issue. The people doing 70MPH every day in that wrongly-marked 55MPH zone aren't the issue.

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Ugh - this is painful. This is like me saying, "I don't support more funding for schools," and you coming back with, "Why do you want stupid children?," without understanding what I'm really saying.

So, first: I understand that they do things other than hassle people driving around. I'm not disputing that.

If someone were going to break into your home today, they are not there to stop it nor should they be. We don't want a police state. They
basically report the crime that happened and, if it happens frequently enough to enough people they'll try to track down who's doing it. Otherwise it's the, "We can't be bothered - call your insurance company"-bit.

Now, the tint laws are their because the state feels like it has a right, and some cops do - I've spoken with cops who disagree with this and understand the perception problem I'm speaking of, that they can look in your car and inspect it for anything that may be illegal. They can't openly say this so they hide the notion of, "tint is too dark - can't see out." They never say, "Oh, we think you shouldn't have tint because we want to visually search your car. That is no more a valid argument than saying you can't have blinds or curtains on your house because a cop should be able to walk up to it and peek in - just in case something illegal is going on.

Nope. Your home is on private property. Your car, if kept on private property, can have opaque windows. While you are operating it on public roads you have to follow the regulations the public created for those public roads.

Besides, as someone earlier mentioned in them not being able to solve real crimes because of the phone cookie guy: Why are they wasting time pulling me over because of my tint when there are real crimes to be stopped / solved?

Because we hired them to do that. We made those laws and we fund police departments to enforce them.

Yes, they do catch drunk drivers. They also hassle far more drivers just trying to get to get around. This is, in my opinion, a huge perception problem. People, except for in this particular thread, don't look at cops the same way they did 50-60 years ago. When they see a cop they think, "Crap - what am I doing wrong."

That isn't anything new. People have been thinking that for thousands of years.

Also, there are enough laws to where you're pretty much doing something illegal throughout the day. Cops even openly admit that if they want to get you that they can come up with some infraction against you. That's just flat out wrong. I should be free to go about my business as long as I'm not harming anyone.

Nope. If you are obviously breaking a law (speeding, illegal tint, whatever) I want the cops to ticket you. Why shouldn't they?

Regarding the, "What's the difference between 100MPH and 60MPH in a 55MPH zone?" - That's dumb. If the limit is 55MPH and everyone is traveling 70MPH then the limit is wrong, not the 1000s of people doing it everyday.

That's the second time you've said that, but it isn't true. If everyone murdered it wouldn't make murder OK.

If someone is driving through that crowd of cars that's happily doing 70MPH but is weaving in and out at 100MPH then that's obviously going to be a safety issue. The people doing 70MPH every day in that wrongly-marked 55MPH zone aren't the issue.

Sure they are. They're breaking the law. Why is that OK with you? Do you think the laws don't apply to you?

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Brad I see you think pulling people over for going 70 and having dark tint is a bad thing. How do you think we find out people are transporting drugs or illegal weapons? How do you think we find some missing children and serial killers. Routine traffic stops. You would be surprised what all can be found out with a routine traffic stop. Ted Bundy was caught and others have been caught because if routine traffic stops. So by your analogy..... just leave people alone with real dark tint and people going 5 to 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. How about a broken tail light? Should be just let that go or stop the driver and tell them they it's out. Hell that's how Bundy was busted. Just because your stopped doesn't mean your getting hassled or even getting a ticket. Lots of times you get a warning or a courtesy stop to tell you your tail light is out.

When you drive with dark tint and I pull you over how do I know you don't have a gun? How do I know you don't have a warrant for murder and you just stole a car that hasn't been reported yet? When dark tint is involved cops have no idea what their getting into. That is so different then curtains on your home windows.

Laws including speeding laws are there for a reason. Not everyone is out to get you man. Are their bad cops yes but don't lump everyone in like that. My suggestion is don't break a law and you'll be just fine. Don't speed and you'll be just fine.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Damn. This thread's gone in the crapper :right:

I don't think so. There was no name calling. No one taking their ball and going home. I think someone has some misconceptions cops and routine traffic stops. I was only trying to make the point why they are needed. Nothing more than that.